mtbr member
    Feb 2009

going to the coast

Hey im going to the cast for 3 days and taking my girlfriend with me and im looking for some single track or somthing for the beginner. does anybody have a gales creek conditions?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by ksearsor
    Hey im going to the cast for 3 days and taking my girlfriend with me and im looking for some single track or somthing for the beginner. does anybody have a gales creek conditions?

wet, slick... main gales cr. trail is still closed due to storm damage. other gales creek trail isn't a beginers trail, to steep and rooty and muddy. Maybe the Wilson R. trail might be better, but I've never ridden it.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hmm, well ive taken her up to shellburg once with me she did alright, is gales cr. more of a free ride area or something? i looked on youtube and found one video of it it looked pretty tame to me

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Browns camp loop will be very wet and slick with roots, rocks. Dry, it might be ok for her, but wet, it could get miserable. Go down to the Gales Creek Campground entrance and ride down to teh Gales Creek trail. At 0.8 miles, go up Storey Burn. It will be wet and slick, but more managebale for this area.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by ksearsor
    hmm, well ive taken her up to shellburg once with me she did alright, is gales cr. more of a free ride area or something? i looked on youtube and found one video of it it looked pretty tame to me

No, it's XC. I only say it's not much of a beginners place due to all the climbing. Most beginners don't like lung burners 2 minutes into a ride.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

I got nothin'

Wilson River Trail

Your best bet this time of year is to ride the Wilson River Trail. Go further west on Highway 6 to the Forestry Center and start the Wilson River Trail there. You can go east or west from there. The trail is easy for a way each direction from the Forestry Center, then gets tougher the further you go.

Gales Creek is generally too muddy and slick this time of the year and they were supposed to have gotten snow last night.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey guys I'm in rockaway now it's cold and storming but I guess well try the Wilson river but is there anything more techy for me? I brought my Santa Cruz super light xc build with me