Thread: Go Ride

ronbo613

Go Ride

This is a great time to get on your bike and ride

Obviously Single

Sweet!

Hi Ronbo!

Glad you got your bike running. At least you get to go riding!

I've been sick the last week -- that sucks all energy out of my desire to ride, even when the weather is nice.

I'm gonna fix that Saturday, though! :O
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

ronbo613
    That's life; too sick to ride but not sick enough to stay home from work.

We'll get back out there, it ain't snowing yet.

Ovaries on the Outside
    You're telling me- I went twice last weekend and loved both rides. I did pick up a concussion in a soccer game on Monday, so I might be out for the remaining sunny days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Going now:-)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Went tonight

And will be ripping up Post Canyon tomorrow with my Golden Retriever. Please avoid Post tomorrow morning

ronbo613
    I am stoked to report that today was just as good as yesterday, probably even better...
    Only thing is, you have to go get it, it most likely won't come to you.

ronbo613
    Wild mushrooms are going off.

ronbo613
    Ride every day you can.

ronbo613

Don't Get Much Better Than This

Today, I rode a trail that is not on any map. I had to ride on a paved road, then an unpaved road to get there, but I rode a bike the whole way.
    The best part of the ride was that I met one of my neighbors. He saw me ride by his house and jumped on his bike to catch up with me going up a hill just to say "Hi". He introduced himself and told me I could ride across his property if I stayed on the main road. Pretty f'ing cool.
    I decided to go farther into the boonies where I rode that unmapped trail. After a mile or so, I ran into a bear sitting in the middle of the trail. It ran off in the woods but I figured since I was alone in the middle of nowhere, I should turn around and head home. When I got back on a logging road headed home, a cougar ran out of the woods about twenty yards ahead of me, looked at me, then ran into the woods on the other side of the road.
    Seeing bears is pretty common, they run away when they see you. They are black bears, usually about 200-250lbs. I reckon. Cougars are always there, you hardly ever see them. The one that ran out in front of me was only about 45lbs., but to see one in the wild, and a wild bear as well, really a day I'll remember.
    Saw some wild turkeys, too, barely remember that.....

Obviously Single

Sweet!

Dude!

You received many gifts!

Some Native Americans consider it a gift from the Earth to even see a Wild Animal.

It's kind of nice when we can co-exist, since it *IS* their home.
    The Lee-Man

ronbo613
    You received many gifts!
    That's exactly the way I feel. I've never seen a cougar in the wild, it was quite exciting(and where is the helmet cam when you need it?).
    You know they are there, you just hardly ever see them, I think about it a little as I'm riding alone in the more remote areas. I see bears about every other ride in this particular area.

Obviously Single

Surprising

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    That's exactly the way I feel. I've never seen a cougar in the wild, it was quite exciting(and where is the helmet cam when you need it?).
    You know they are there, you just hardly ever see them, I think about it a little as I'm riding alone in the more remote areas. I see bears about every other ride in this particular area.
    Yes, it's surprising, to say the least, to see one during the day. Once could posit that it was sick or something, but better to think of it as a gift, IMHO.

My friend (in CO) Migz rides often at night in the high country, and he brings his dogs. I always figured it was partly for protection. He used to scan a clearing with his helmet light and often saw pairs of eyeballs looking back at him. Talk about spooky! And he usually rode with no other humans!
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Awesome day!Cougar sightings are so rare.I saw a black bear on the trail at 3 Corner Rock a few weeks.Good stuff...special day for sure.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

ronbo613
    Yes, it's surprising, to say the least, to see one during the day.
    I saw it about an hour before sunset. Once the sun dips below the trees and hills, the temperature is dropping quite a bit, that probably gets them moving. It wasn't very big either, maybe 45 pounds, so it might have been a juvenile. I've seen signs of elk and there's plenty of deer around, so lot's of stuff to chase around.
    I think the sick ones are the ones you have to watch out for, I don't think a normal cougar would attack an adult human unless it was really hungry or sick.

ronbo613
    Raining today, but great yesterday and next week looks good.

ronbo613

Get Out There

I've lived in the city and had to drive for miles to go riding. I've been lucky enough to have awesome trails across the street. Either way, the idea is to ride whenever you can.
    When you see my name on this forum and click on the thread, I hope you will see something that makes you want to ride.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1
    Awesome day!Cougar sightings are so rare.I saw a black bear on the trail at 3 Corner Rock a few weeks.Good stuff...special day for sure.
    That part of the Gorge is full of cougars. I saw one off of Trail 400 one time and it was very cool....

ronbo613
    If you can get out there tomorrow, I'd do it. I'm not a certified meteorologist, but it's starting to look like rain.

Obviously Single

Dude!

Dude, you need to stop using this old-ass thread!

P.S. I hope you got a ride in! I rode near my house last night, and the weather was unbelievable for late October! Shorts and short sleeves? Woo hoo!

Now just 6 months until it gets nice again ...
    The Lee-Man

ronbo613
    Old ass thread for an old ass rider. My fingers are really tired, hard to start a new thread.

I hope you got a ride in! I rode near my house last night, and the weather was unbelievable for late October!
    Heck yeah I'm riding. Hoping for light rain tonight, last call tomorrow and we send everybody home with some killer photos and a bag of wild mushrooms.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Getting hit in face

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan

P.S. I hope you got a ride in! I rode near my house last night, and the weather was unbelievable for late October! Shorts and short sleeves? Woo hoo!

Now just 6 months until it gets nice again ...
    I have been riding St George and Moab the last week and came home to this cold, nasty rain. It is like getting hit in the face with a brick.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I have been riding St George and Moab the last week ...
    We know
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Obviously Single

Get the hint?

I have been riding St George and Moab the last week and came home to this cold, nasty rain. It is like getting hit in the face with a brick.
    A brick in the face would be enough of a hint for most people ...

Maybe the Universe is telling you to move ... to move far far away from here, to perhaps some place so far away that they don't have Internet ...

But don't get mad at me -- I'm just the messenger.

[Edit: learning to spell]
    Last edited by LeeMan; 10-25-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    The Lee-Man

ronbo613
    to perhaps some place so far away that they don't have Internet ...
    That land far, far away starts a half mile down the road from me.
    I was bummed about all the rain until I got a look at the new snow just a short way up the hill.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Classy remarks as usal

A brick in the face would be enough of a hint for most people ...

Maybe the Universe is telling you to move ... to move far far away from here, to perhaps some place so far away that they don't have Internet ...

But don't get mad at me -- I'm just the messenger.

[Edit: learning to spell]
    Just wondering. I don't give a rat's arse what you say or write. I do find it funny that Oregon guys are so dogmatically committed to this rain soaked area with rides over an hour away.

ronbo613
    Just wondering. I don't give a rat's arse what you say or write. I do find it funny that Oregon guys are so dogmatically committed to this rain soaked area with rides over an hour away.
    Stoked to see everyone is so happy. How about a few more photos?

On wuss patrol
    I do find it funny that Oregon guys are so dogmatically committed to this rain soaked area with rides over an hour away.
    So, what's keeping you here? Just wonderin'
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Obviously Single

Funny?

I'm guessing you mean funny in an ironic way.

Not sure I can speak for all Oregon guys, but that's not really the point.

The difference between you, IMHO, and what you call "Oregon guys" is nothing but a different attitude.

The fact is, we are here, and it rains. And we like to ride our bikes.

I grew up here, moved away for a bunch of years (bad idea) and moved back 5 years ago. I grew up wondering why so many people didn't like the rain. But when I moved back and thought the rain would be no problem I was surprised to find out I had become wimpy.

My first winter back I rode like 3 times. I kept waiting for a nice day/weekend, but none came! (It rained 40 days in a row when I first moved back here! I thought God was going to smite us!)

Then I had a flash: I could just buck it up and ride in the rain! I got myself a local single speed so I didn't muck up my regular bike, and I started riding.

Yes, I'm still kind of wimpy, but I ride at least 2-3 times a week even when its raining and I have nobody to ride with. Why? Because I like to ride!

You, on the other hand, seem to take every opportunity to complain. That may not be the case, but it is the way you come across on this forum. Are your complaints valid? Yes, I'm sure they are (at least some of the time). Do they fix anything? NO!

And even if you personally choose to look at the glass as half empty, it really is not a good way to make friends when you are so vocal about it.

I apologize for giving you so much sh*t, in that we've never met, and it's kind of cowardly of me to put you down so easily when we haven't ridden together. You might actually be a likable guy, in person. So this is an open invite: come ride with me next (or almost any) weekend in Tillamook. Yes, it will probably be raining, and if not then it'll be even more fun.

I know you say you don't give a "rat's arse", but I also suspect you do, because you're human and we all do. And once you ride with me I can change my signature!
    The Lee-Man

Out spokin'
    I've never met him either, and I hope I never do. I don't care much for fools, and based on nearly everything I've ever heard from Jaybo, he's a fool.

What makes him so distasteful? Nobody likes a complainer. Dude's a freakin' wet blanket. Here are some words that inspire me personally, and I imagine the attitude that the words below convey would make the bearer welcome most anyplace, most anytime:

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." --Maya Angelou

Take a lesson, Jaybo.

--sParty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 10-30-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: This message paid for by the Committee To Move Jaybo To Texas
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sparticus,
    I just noticed your Committee message for the first time.It's rainin' with purpose at this moment and you put a chuckle in my heart.Thanks!

ronbo613
    I could just buck it up and ride in the rain!
    You can ride any time you want

Out spokin'
    If you forget your helmet, a trucker hat will do.

Just get out there and ride! See you on the trails tomorrow.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

ronbo613
    If you forget your helmet, a trucker hat will do.
    I believe this photo may have been from the pre-helmet era. Got one of the first Look "eggshell" helmets the following year for a NORBA race, the first hardshell Bell wasn't out yet, "Skid Lids" came out shortly after this photo was taken. We were still wearing "hairnets" on our road bikes.

Out spokin'
    I believe this photo may have been from the pre-helmet era. Got one of the first Look "eggshell" helmets the following year for a NORBA race, the first hardshell Bell wasn't out yet, "Skid Lids" came out shortly after this photo was taken. We were still wearing "hairnets" on our road bikes.
    I think that's a GT with a U-brake in the photo. I believe I owned a Bell Tourlite boat anchor around that time.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

ronbo613
    I believe I owned a Bell Tourlite boat anchor around that time.
    We rode dirt bikes, so wearing helmets was fine with us. I only have a few helmetless photos from way back when.
    My bike is sporting the Zefal frame pump and water bottle from the Solvang Century. I remember buying that GT Karakoram, it was one of about six mountain bikes in the local bike shop. It's either an '88 or '89. Weighed about 35 pounds. I think Don's bike was a Cannondale.
    Here I am on the old GT Lead Sled a few months later at the NORBA Nationals

Out spokin'
    I remember the lycra-covered styro cooler helmet phase very well. Buying custom sewn covers to customize your lid enabled the coolest kids to look the part.

I remember the neon pink & neon green days... oh, and I had a custom pair of snake skin lycra tights... damn I had it goin' on back then.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Obviously Single
    Looks like Don is on the same bike he rides now! LOL!

BTW, I've ridden when it's about 12 degrees (F) outside! At least for me that was past my limit.

Now to go ride!
    The Lee-Man

ronbo613
    I remember the neon pink & neon green days... oh, and I had a custom pair of snake skin lycra tights... damn I had it goin' on back then.
    You and Don would have made a great team; we used to call him "Neon Don".

Now to go ride!
    It rained earlier this morning, but the sun is out! Give it a couple hours to dry out and warm up a bit and I'm out there.

ronbo613

Hope You Got Out There Today

Definitely wet, but the sun was out; awesome day to be riding

Out spokin'
    Indeed I did, thanks.

Did a little trailwork, did a little riding. Left the car around 11am... got back around 4pm... no rain... beautiful trails... good friends.

Another great day.

--sParty

P.S. Sorry no photos. Were the ones you posted directly above from today? Nice regardless.
    disciplesofdirt.org

ronbo613
    Were the ones you posted directly above from today?
    Yes, from today. Most of the time I ride around taking photos. As an avid mountain biker and photographer, it's a lot of fun.

Glad you got out and enjoyed the day. Never take a single day for granted

Out spokin'
    Yes, from today. Most of the time I ride around taking photos. As an avid mountain biker and photographer, it's a lot of fun.

Glad you got out and enjoyed the day. Never take a single day for granted
    I never take a single day for granted. Took lots of married ones for granted, tho.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Got out there today too. Not on the singletrack, got to ride the road bike on some double track roads connecting some roads out east of town. It was nice to get on the bike for a short one non the less. Cheers!

Looking at some more pedaling through out the week to come. Looks like nice days a comin'!!

mtbr member
    Got out for 25 miles of some of "Bend's Best" today. Hero dirt abound, and great buddy's to enjoy it with.

I just have to say I love the new facelift on lower Storm King. Joan Rivers would be proud. For those who have not ridden lower Storm King in the past month or so, do yourself a favor and chunck out sometime to "get one in" before the snow flies.

Much thanks to COTA and the people out making our trails better.

That was Hee Haw Fun!

Where did you ride today?

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Where did you ride today?
    Got out to Post Canyon for about 12 miles worth in the early AM...some nice folks had been doing some benching and contouring on 158...thanks.

Then, headed over to 8 Mile Creek around lunch time... stopped by the fire lookout and someone was lodging there. I'm gonna have to try that sometime, either biking or on a snowshoe trip. Lots of trees down along the lower portion along the creek... about 4 or 5... since the last time someone went through with a saw earlier this summer.

ronbo613
    Then, headed over to 8 Mile Creek around lunch time... stopped by the fire lookout and someone was lodging there. I'm gonna have to try that sometime, either biking or on a snowshoe trip. Lots of trees down along the lower portion along the creek... about 4 or 5... since the last time someone went through with a saw earlier this summer.
    We were out in the woods today with our chainsaws, but we were cutting firewood. Gets cold around here in the winter. We cut blowdowns across trails when we get the chance, but things are not as groomed as in other places. Cutting, hauling and splitting a half cord of wood makes it real easy to step over a log on the trail and forget you ever saw it.

ronbo613

Pretty Awesome Day Today

I'm in the middle of splitting and stacking a large pile of wood but I managed to get out for a quick ride. I'm sure glad I did.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hospital Hill was awesome today

The trails are great and the sunshine and warm sun was sweet. I will be back up tomorrow. Sweet week!!!

Obviously Single

Tilly!

Gonna hit something in Tilly tomorrow, for the first time in several weeks (between being sick, being busy, and being lazy!).

I'll be thinking of you and Don ... maybe mostly about beer, but also about you guys!
    The Lee-Man

Out spokin'
    Gonna hit something in Tilly tomorrow, for the first time in several weeks (between being sick, being busy, and being lazy!).

I'll be thinking of you and Don ... maybe mostly about beer, but also about you guys!
    Please let us know how that goes...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

ronbo613
    Gee, that's darn considerate of you. Actually, we just got back from a nice little ride. Don's on his way home with a sack of wild mushrooms for dinner.
    Glad to hear you're back on the trail. Thinking we only have another day or two before those storms start rolling in from the Gulf of Alaska.

ronbo613

Get Out There

The weather is changing quickly, and not for the better.
    Get out there if you can.

mtbr member
    When it starts raining around here, I store the bikes and dig out the skis.

Video quality isn't that good, but I'll also never claim to be a photog/techy geek.

Mt Hood secret stashes...

I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

ronbo613
    When it starts raining around here, I store the bikes and dig out the skis.
    I'm with you there.
    I've had a season pass for Meadows the past couple years, it has lost all it's charm for me. Think I'll go for snowshoes this season instead of lift lines and less vert but more adventure.

mtbr member
    I'm with you there.
    I've had a season pass for Meadows the past couple years, it has lost all it's charm for me. Think I'll go for snowshoes this season instead of lift lines and less vert but more adventure.
    I finally broke down and purchased a lift ticket last season at Meadows after skiing in the BC exclusively for the last 3 years, gotta say, don't miss riding lifts.

For me, BC skiing and Mtbing provide a perfect balance. Plus, here in the PNW, we can pretty much do both all year round.

We farmed these tracks all day, and I bet 90% of the Hood Mt bikers have ridden right past here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am at work for a "special" project.Good fun OHM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

You forgot angry and annoying.

ronbo613
    I can't imagine an angry LeeMan

Obviously Single
    Yes I did. But then you spoke up.
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

Got a ride in, got rained on

Hey Ronbo!

I did get a ride in Satruday, mostly before the rain, but it was on the back roads of Bald Peak.

Here's Elly patiently waiting while I take a picture. (She wanted me to hurry up to beat the rain, I said "be patient". She was right.)

When I got to the top of Bald Peak, I saw the usual Hang- and Para-Gliders taking advantage of the windy weather (despite low visibility).

and

The Lee-Man

ronbo613
    I did get a ride in Satruday, mostly before the rain
    Forecast is for snow tonight and/or tomorrow........

ronbo613
    What a difference a few days makes!

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Quite a few of free-heelers out here... Had no idea there were that many of us - that were also doing the MtB thing as much.

Would be great to get a day or two of turns together this season!

I will say - you guys have put together some really nice shots of the early season.

I'm taken the ol' snow dog himself up tomorrow for a bit of playtime in the early goods. If any of you happen to be out there - you can't miss us... particularly him... a Big A$$ Snow dog named Takoda! He's the one that just looks like he was born for this.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

ronbo613
    This looks like a good year for backcountry action. You know there's never a crowd, so maybe we can all do a little carving. Nothing like laying into a nice, solid turn....

Members who have read this thread: 0