Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,934

    Global warming has arrived

    Today, some of the DOD and friends enjoyed summer conditions out at North Shore trail. The temps were damn warm, the trail was mostly dry, and we spent alot of time having fun on bikes and soaking in the sun. James was willing to risk life and limb to entertain us, as usual. Steve drove up from Roseburg to enjoy our backyard trail. Lee returned to the DOD and Mountain biking after a long and hard journey. Jeremy joined us for a taste of something new. Fred rode from his house, and brought the dog. Brock... blew us off. We waited for him for almost 30 minutes, and finally gave up on him. I thought this was his ride?

    Here's some pics. Sorry to those of you who were stuck at work.









































    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    533
    Nice pics
    Really nice in Oakridge, but VERY limited riding, can't even get more then a couple miles out Warrior Fitness Trail(easy side of Salmon Creek) or North Fork before hitting too much snow to ride still.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    57
    I hate you all. I live on lost creek about 6-7 miles from the north shore trail. I could ride that trail all I wanted without ever burning a drop of fuel! But nooo I can't ride it at all! Too much poison oak I even get it from the stems this time of year. It's not the casual type of poison oak I get! It's the your taking anabolic steroids for a couple of weeks kind of living hell. But yeah Monday was great 60 degrees! Squeezed in some light trail riding at Bristo park on my new Santa Cruz Blur LT. Wanted to go for a longer ride but I rode hard on Sunday and was limited in the daylight department.


    R

  4. #4
    Making fat cool since '71
    Reputation: ImaKlyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Brock... blew us off. We waited for him for almost 30 minutes, and finally gave up on him. I thought this was his ride?
    I've been sick for about a week. I think I'm going to die...soon. Btw, Jeremy called the ride. Just the commute from the school to the shop has been kicking my arse.

    Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

    Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

  5. #5
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330

    Stumps don't lie

    Looks like y'all had a good time. Fine then. Personally, I was at work keeping our struggling economy going while you Nancy boys were prancing around the woods.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ormtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    141

    Beats a day at the office

    Nice camera work there Matt. I was going to post a few of my pics from the ride but I think you out did me. Next holiday for us gulry men is May 26. Mark it on your calendar.

    Steve

  7. #7
    can't get here by wishin
    Reputation: fredfight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    182

    north shore

    i'm really, really, fortunate to live down the street from this trail... it was a great day of riding... let's do it again!... this time i'll wait for everyone and be more a part of...

  8. #8
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,411
    Great stuff as usual Matt! Are you guys in a bit of a drought? Looks like the level has been down for a while. Curiuos, is James' bike a 29'er? Never seen a tube do that until last summer with a guy on a 29'er.

    Jay

  9. #9
    Toby Wong?
    Reputation: Tappoix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,309

    and not too far away.....

    great day, good friends.....seems we had the same idea! work is overrated!









    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

  10. #10
    a tight kick sound
    Reputation: boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    ANd I was stuck at work!

    Tap I fockin hate you Beautiful!!

    Weeniehiemer, I see you are still having great success with those new wheels and tubes of yours. Bweahahahahahaha..

    GReat pics matt and a huge welcome back to Lee. I miss that guy

  11. #11
    Insanity later
    Reputation: Serenity Now's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    346
    Wow. It looks like PhotoMatt just got out-photoed. You're still da man behind the lens Matt, but those photos of Tappoix are pretty friggen sweet.

    Sums up why Oregon is so special, great skiing and mtn biking on the same day.

  12. #12
    Known Mountainbiker
    Reputation: cazloco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    What really sncks is that those of us who worked payed your wages for the day. I hope you enjoyed it and I plan on voting against any state wage increase from now on. Speaking of state pay freeze, you all see that new basketball stadium UO is putting up with state funds? Awesome!

    Looks like you had a great day.

    Scar, we drain our reservoirs in the winter to make room for snow melt. See Tappoix's photos.

    Caz (bitter)

    p.s. it works best if you put air in AFTER you put the tube inside the tire.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

  13. #13
    Cheezy Rider
    Reputation: Rufudufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    What really sncks is that those of us who worked payed your wages for the day. I hope you enjoyed it and I plan on voting against any state wage increase from now on. Speaking of state pay freeze, you all see that new basketball stadium UO is putting up with state funds? .
    As an employee of the great state of OR, I can tell you that yesterday was not a holiday for all of us. As for the stadium, I suspect all of it is being paid for by Phil Knight (Nike) and other alums. I don't know about U of O, but at Oregon State we've spent a ton of money in the last few years upgrading athletic facilities, and none of it came from your tax dollars.

    Common misconception though, just look at the letters to the editor in our paper on any random day.

  14. #14
    Known Mountainbiker
    Reputation: cazloco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    As an employee of the great state of OR, I can tell you that yesterday was not a holiday for all of us. As for the stadium, I suspect all of it is being paid for by Phil Knight (Nike) and other alums. I don't know about U of O, but at Oregon State we've spent a ton of money in the last few years upgrading athletic facilities, and none of it came from your tax dollars.

    Common misconception though, just look at the letters to the editor in our paper on any random day.
    Sorry, I don't read editorials, I only write them.

    As of last week, Phil only coughed up apx 100 million dollars for the stadium but it still needs another 100 million. The university has asked the state for money, the same money that pays wages, the same wages that may get frozen again. The state has not given the university money for the stadium, yet. It is only a matter of time because as soon as they see the artist's rendition of how many homes will be knocked down in order for the stadium to be put up (plus parking); it's all over but the counting.


    Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

  15. #15
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Sorry, I don't read editorials, I only write them.

    As of last week, Phil only coughed up apx 100 million dollars for the stadium but it still needs another 100 million. The university has asked the state for money, the same money that pays wages, the same wages that may get frozen again. The state has not given the university money for the stadium, yet. It is only a matter of time because as soon as they see the artist's rendition of how many homes will be knocked down in order for the stadium to be put up (plus parking); it's all over but the counting.


    Caz
    They are proposing a $200 million bond, that is forecast to be paid off over 20 years using the "income" that the arena is projected to generate. If these income figures aren't met, the taxpayers will get stuck covering the bond. Local appraisers say that the University's forecast is overly optimistic, and that the arena will not generate the income that is anticipated. This seems to happen in every city, and the locals fall for it, believing these projects will be privately funded, but they almost always have to bail them out later.

    I wish Phil would donate his millions to books and classrooms and teachers at all levels of schools.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  16. #16
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now
    Wow. It looks like PhotoMatt just got out-photoed. You're still da man behind the lens Matt, but those photos of Tappoix are pretty friggen sweet.

    Sums up why Oregon is so special, great skiing and mtn biking on the same day.

    No doubt, those snow shots are great. Looks like good corn snow. You should be seeing some fresh powder any day now. I need to get up to the snow a few more times. Days like yesterday make me start to think winter is over.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  17. #17
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,074
    Thanks for posting up pics for those of us with real jobs.

  18. #18
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Great stuff as usual Matt! Are you guys in a bit of a drought? Looks like the level has been down for a while. Curiuos, is James' bike a 29'er? Never seen a tube do that until last summer with a guy on a 29'er.

    Jay

    Jay, you could call this a drought, since we hadn't seen any rain in almost ten days, but it's raining again now, so no worries. Actually, this winter we have above average water content in the snowpack in the Cascades, which is how we typically judge drought concerns. The reservoirs were built for flood control, and the water levels are also adjusted for spawning and farm use in late summer. In winter, they keep the levels low in case a warm rain comes in, melting the deep low elevation snowpack. If these dams were to break, half of Eugene would be underwater.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  19. #19
    Toby Wong?
    Reputation: Tappoix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    No doubt, those snow shots are great. Looks like good corn snow. You should be seeing some fresh powder any day now. I need to get up to the snow a few more times. Days like yesterday make me start to think winter is over.

    Hey, that's why you guys are the D.O.[SIZE="7"]D[/SIZE]

    ride on!
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

  20. #20
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,526

    Here is the solution for your bitterness!

    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    What really sncks is that those of us who worked payed your wages for the day. I hope you enjoyed it and I plan on voting against any state wage increase from now on. Speaking of state pay freeze, you all see that new basketball stadium UO is putting up with state funds? Awesome!

    Looks like you had a great day.

    Scar, we drain our reservoirs in the winter to make room for snow melt. See Tappoix's photos.

    Caz (bitter)

    p.s. it works best if you put air in AFTER you put the tube inside the tire.
    Get a State job! Easy fix; you would then have some holidays off. I rarely get a raise...and pay quite a bit for my PERS. I'm grateful for my job but I earn my pay. I make less then those in the private sector and work my tail off.

    Jaybo

  21. #21
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330

    A.w.e.s.o.m.e....p.h.o.t.o.s.!.!.!.!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    great day, good friends.....seems we had the same idea! work is overrated! {photos}
    Tap, ain't you da man wit da lenz! Danm that makes me wanna take up a snow sport.

    Heck I'da even called in sick to be right up in there. Whoa.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  22. #22
    Cheezy Rider
    Reputation: Rufudufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,684
    Damn, that's a lot of scratch. Thanks for setting me straight. Hope it doesn't go through...as a taxpayer and Duck-hater!

  23. #23
    Talk to me Goose.
    Reputation: Lt. Pete Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    33
    For people who question Phil, here's a bit of food for thought.

    "Phil Knight, one of the University's most prominent alumni and most generous donors, reached outside the state of Oregon on Tuesday and gave his biggest monetary donation to date - $105 million - to Stanford University, a university to which he has given donations frequently."
    "Sixty-eight-year-old Knight, Nike, Inc. Chairman and company co-founder, pledged the money to aid in the construction of a $275 million complex to house Stanford's Graduate School of Business"

    And for UO:

    "A 1996 gift of $25 million for two purposes: $15 million to create endowed chairs and professorships across campus and $10 million to finance construction of a 138,000-square foot building for the School of Law."

    and

    "A significant family gift toward a $27.4 million expansion and renovation of the UO's main library, the heart of a research university. Completed in October 1994, the expansion increased library space by 50 percent..."

    Phil obviously contributes a lot to athletics, but you can't argue about his generosity in other areas.

  24. #24
    Talk to me Goose.
    Reputation: Lt. Pete Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    33
    Oh, and the pix were awesome, too!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mudflaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Pete Mitchell
    For people who question Phil, here's a bit of food for thought.

    "Phil Knight, one of the University's most prominent alumni and most generous donors, reached outside the state of Oregon on Tuesday and gave his biggest monetary donation to date - $105 million - to Stanford University, a university to which he has given donations frequently."
    "Sixty-eight-year-old Knight, Nike, Inc. Chairman and company co-founder, pledged the money to aid in the construction of a $275 million complex to house Stanford's Graduate School of Business"

    And for UO:

    "A 1996 gift of $25 million for two purposes: $15 million to create endowed chairs and professorships across campus and $10 million to finance construction of a 138,000-square foot building for the School of Law."

    and

    "A significant family gift toward a $27.4 million expansion and renovation of the UO's main library, the heart of a research university. Completed in October 1994, the expansion increased library space by 50 percent..."

    Phil obviously contributes a lot to athletics, but you can't argue about his generosity in other areas.
    Pete,
    Thanks for pointing those items out. Living in Eugene, all too often I hear people ripping on Phil, and I must admit, I was somehat less aware of his generosity outside of the sports arenas, etc, as I should have been.

    Flaps

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •