Thread: Global warming?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Global warming?

Whats up with this? (taken @ 4,000')

The ride up to Horn Gap trail was excellent! Cold temps to keep the body temps in check. Traction was as good as I have ever seen and there was only one other bike on the trail. We even considered riding all the way around the watershed. I doubt there was snow anywhere on the ride.

I would love to see a much better snow pack at this point in the season. But I don't control that so I will just keep riding!

I will be in Sun River on the 16th. I may just bring my bike instead of skis!

One more picture:
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    This weather is GREAT for biking... but the increasingly grim reality of a possible dusty, dry, high fire danger summer keeps filling my head.

At any rate, a friend of mine and I rode Falls Creek from the bottom yesterday (had to park at the gate a few miles shy of the trailhead) and we slogged our way up and turned around just before the last cave (on the way down from normal shuttle)). The only snow was either fresh from Friday night and in the in the shade & the few North facing slopes. With with the meager snowpack up there, I would imagine that you could make it up to the campground (since I did not make the drive to Old Man Pass and assuming that there is some snow up there).

My fingers are still crossed that winter will come! But get out and ride while the gettin is still good!

Here are a few pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    This weather is GREAT for biking... but the increasingly grim reality of a possible dusty, dry, high fire danger summer keeps filling my head.

At any rate, a friend of mine and I rode Falls Creek from the bottom yesterday (had to park at the gate a few miles shy of the trailhead) and we slogged our way up and turned around just before the last cave (on the way down from normal shuttle)). The only snow was either fresh from Friday night and in the in the shade & the few North facing slopes. With with the meager snowpack up there, I would imagine that you could make it up to the campground (since I did not make the drive to Old Man Pass and assuming that there is some snow up there).

My fingers are still crossed that winter will come! But get out and ride while the gettin is still good!

Here are a few pics:
    THANKS ! Too much road bike lately ... you just fixed that problem .
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    "This weather is GREAT for biking"

Agreed, this is gradually becomming my favorite time of year to ride, along as it stays mostly dry of course . Seems people always sweat the snow pack/annual rainfall during certain times of the year here to some degree, causing a little bit of premature panic in some (thanks Mr. Zafino). But, I don't think any given year has had less rainfall than the avg for a 12 month cycle (water year). This area always gets it precip for the year sooner or later. If not this month or two, then definitely the next, just the way it works. Now back to riding!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, I think that after this afternoon I will be hanging up my skis until we get some more snow. Today will be my 12th trip to Meadows this year, but it just isn't good right now. I can take it on a Wednesday, but not on the ultra-crowded weekends. Gonna hit Post Canyon this weekend instead of the mountain.