mtbr member

Gateway Green is ON!

"There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I'm really looking forward to this, but damn, that is a lot of money. Do they really need to spend that much?

And maybe this will be the catalyst to open more ST in town.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this, but damn, that is a lot of money. Do they really need to spend that much?
    Honestly that's not that much money, for real...apparently there's matching funds too that will bring it in the area of $3 million. I've seen estimates for trail-building that go from $30k - to $100k per mile. Its gets expensive quick, add in the improvements that go along with it and $3 mill is out the door.

Great news though, awesome news actually and I agree that maybe it will inspire other local areas to do the same

Metalheadbikerider
    The plans for the area/park are pretty comprehensive.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    it looks pretty sweet

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [flamesuit] IMO places like Gateway and Sandy Ridge will, somewhere in the not too distant future, be used as arguments by groups opposed to mountain biking why it is OK to close more real trails to biking. [/flamesuit]

Metalheadbikerider
    I'm sure the argument will be made by some, but I don't think it will actually be effective.
    The opposite argument can be made, that places like GG and SRTS will actually increase trail access. Having places close to Portland will increase the number of mountain bikers getting into the sport (this is apparent by the groups of people riding starter bikes I see there all the time), which will increase demand for other mtb opportunities. It's the same reason that bike transportation advocates stand behind mtb opportunities. More mtb'ers means more bike commuters.
    I have not read about trail closures in other places with established bike parks.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Sandy Ridge isn't real trails?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Sandy Ridge isn't real trails?
    IMO it is kind of a biker playground. This of course is all subjective and merely personal preference and opinion. I've been to Sandy once. Actually kind of enjoyed it. Not enough to go back yet though. It's not what I look for from riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    IMO it is kind of a biker playground.
    Dude, is it not ALL a biker playground? It may not be what you look for in a trail, and fortunately there are multi day crush fests of 95% climbing out there that will be a nice little playground for what many might want to do. It's almost easily separated into two groups - those that ride with a dropper post or want one vs those who thumb their noses or straight don't get it because they see no need to ever drop a saddle for going downhill. Are you the minority that prefers to climb vs going downhill? That's cool because 99% of the "real trails" out were are all designed with hikers in mind, and after you've ridden purpose built trails are really not that much fun anymore except for the novelty of riding them again. For the record I'll be 50 in October and have been mountain biking around here for 20 years at least. I've spent considerable time on most of the stuff within 100 miles of Portland, and I for one can't be thankful enough for the biker playgrounds. Stoked the old school trails are out there for those who have no need for a berm or a jump, but personally will take the berms and jumps all day long. I think the concern that increased purpose built mtb trails will somehow erode access to long standing hiker trails is a bit unfounded, a shade paranoid

mtbr member
    ^^ I'll take that debate up with you! Yeah, Sandy Ridge is a good time but to label everyone who isn't "all in" with it as a climber and not a DH'r is just plain ignorant. Riverview Park is the perfect example. Originally built by locals (including a current World Cup Downhiller) as a difficult DH trail, it HAD (past tense - still super angry about this) no berms in the difficult corners forcing some serious handling skills and did have berms (sharp "S" shaped where you needed a lot of skill) in the flatter parts. The trail crew (since Portland Parks took over) have eliminated the S berm and built berms in the difficult corners. The exact opposite of how a tough DH course should be. It's vanilla now and any jackwagon on a BMX bike can rail the whole thing. It's an absolute joke and I sure as hell am NOT an XC geek! Riverview is becoming Sandy Ridge West and none of us DH'rs are happy about that. Bottom Line - IMBA guidelines for perfect flow trails are not conducive to building skill, they are too safety conscious. I guess we have the lawyers to thank for that!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    I think the concern that increased purpose built mtb trails will somehow erode access to long standing hiker trails is a bit unfounded, a shade paranoid
    Understand that I'm not some sufferfest seeking XC geek. I'm an old man riding a trail bike with a 5 inch fork. I like a little air now and again. Sandy is fine. The time I rode there it was fun. I'm glad it exists for several reasons.

My thoughts about access may come off as a little paranoid. Part of that comes from knowing some folks with "strong concerns about use of the outdoors". I am quite sure the next time some portion of one of our nearby National Forests is being considered for conversion to Wilderness Area or National Park status the existence (and funding of) of dedicated areas for biking will be used to support the conversion. That's OK for folks who prefer bike park type riding. For those of us in this family of mountain bikers that prefer a more remote exploration type of riding experience it will be a loss.

Some accounts have described the development of Sandy Ridge as mitigation to offset the lost trails that resulted from the conversion of the Roaring River area to Wilderness. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. If that is the case, for me, it was a poor trade-off.

FKA Malibu412
    More bike trails = good.

That is all. Oh, Roaring River would have been lost even if SR wasn't built.

Okay, one more thing...vancbiker, have you been to SR in the last 6 mos?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Okay, one more thing...vancbiker, have you been to SR in the last 6 mos?
    No. I've driven past there several times to and from other rides this summer and keep telling myself I need to stop in and check out the new trails. I'll get there by this fall!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Gman086 - I think you missed my point. Its not about either you're all in for Sandy style stuff or you're a climber. My point is you're either all in for any and all type of going DOWN the mountain, fast slow or otherwise - OR you're a climber :-) Pretty simplified but pretty close to what I mean. I love the back country stuff and still actively ride it, and in all the years that pre dated bike parks and machine built trails you would find one feature that you would ride 5x in a ride. I'm beyond stoked that those features can be found one after another after another at Sandy style places. In 45 years on a bike cant say I remember one climb that was more fun than pretty much any time I've rolled down a hill on a bike. So yeah I'm firmly in the do it to go back down the hill camp. I went to Whistler for the first time a few weeks ago and spent 3 days on a DH bike for the first time. I'm hooked. I get the fears about wilderness trail closure, but don't agree that building further bike specific trails in urban areas will shut down potential access in BFE.

RE: Riverview and the sanitizing of trails - that's an entirely different issue than anything I was referring to, but since you mentioned it. Those trails have been around for ages in one form or another. Sometimes good, sometimes horrible. It sucks that stuff was changed and honestly was probably way more fun while it was under the radar. But that's the age old story, its always more fun under the radar. The flip side is we should be glad they're still there. I encourage you guys building further bigger badder better private low key stuff. Its a bitter pill but you'll never have it the way YOU and like minded DH heads want it in a city recognized park, at least not around here.

Metalheadbikerider
    I'm on the River PAC with Charlie. I hear ya about the trail changes. But when Metro, BES, and Parks pitch in to buy the land there are bound to be changes. Especially when the focus is water quality and salmon enhancement in the Willy. I don't agree with Parks trail guidelines, but they are what we have to work with.
    All that can be done at this point is show up to the public meetings when I post them on here, and get as many people to do the same, to voice your opinion. I have been going out to Scappy for my local DH riding. Now that I have a capable 6" bike I have been parking at the bottom and riding the road up when I don't have others to shuttle with.

mtbr member
    Understood pigdog, I misinterpreted your post.

And free-agent, yeah, I've been hitting scappy (and stubb) a lot lately too. Looks like someone is building tables out at scappy. That's all private land right? (no, I'm not the builder but thankful certainly!).

Cheers,

G

Metalheadbikerider
    Are you talking about those senders and small berms on the South side? I had fun on those, too. Yes, private land. Thankful here too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Understood pigdog, I misinterpreted your post.

And free-agent, yeah, I've been hitting scappy (and stubb) a lot lately too. Looks like someone is building tables out at scappy. That's all private land right? (no, I'm not the builder but thankful certainly!).

Cheers,

G
    In the end I think it will really come down to maintenance of our respective zones we like to hit, and taking an interest in whats going on. I still think that building a bike park from the ground up out at Gateway is an awesome idea, fully support it. We will all have access to a local or semi local trail system, short but sweet. Powell Butte is light years better than it ever was now too....Then we have the Sandy stuff just 40 minutes outside of town. Go a little further and you hit the established old school networks as well as Hood River. Thats just headed East, lots going on to the West as well. I can only hope there's rampant DIY stuff going on too (obviously w permission, no barge builds). Still stoked I can get out and go into the back-country as well, but as this whole discussion started I still don't think that more trails equals anything but positive outcome for all of us. It may actually lighten the load on some of the trails out there.