i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Gales Creek - Storey Burn loop recommendations?

Hey there,

I'm out on the coast in Rockaway visiting from Seattle and looking for a chance to escape the family. Hoping to hit Stub Stewart; but I've also heard that the Gales Creek area is worth checking out.

There's a bunch of threads on the loop options, but I'd be interested in opinions about the best bang-for-buck for fun technical descending. Clockwise? Counter-clockwise? Starting from Hwy 6 or the Gales CG?

Will trade beer for knowledge...

42t
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I suggest starting at the parking lot for Brown's Camp, on the south side of Hwy 6. You can access Gales Creek just across the highway and a wee bit east. Ride Gales Creek counterclockwise to get the great descent from the highway to the campground. Not technical, per se, but twisty and fun.

From the campground, climb back up before dropping down under the highway to connect to the Brown's Camp/Historic Hiking Trail loop on the south side. For my money, it's that loop, done clockwise, that is the real highlight and has some of the best Coast Range singletrack out there. Once on the loop, watch for and follow the signs for the detour around the creek and you'll have a great ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It makes no difference I feel like you'll get the same amount climbing and technical downhill going either direction.

Have you heard about the historic hiking loop also known as browns camp loop. The trailhead is only 5 mins away from Gales creek trailhead. Probably the most technical trail in this area.

Maps of trail in the area:
    Oregon Department of Forestry - Tillamook State Forest Non-Motorized Trails

Obviously Single
    I agree with the other recommendations. The "Figure 8", which is the Gales Creek loop followed by the Historic Hiking Trail (aka Browns Camp) is a good 3.5 to 4-hour ride with at least 3k of climbing.

The Clockwise version of the HHT (Browns Camp), on the South side of the highway, is considered by many to be the best technical trail in the Tillamook Forest. Please remember that these are Fun XC trails, not downhill, and there very well might be folks coming the other direction. If you're riding on a weekday, you have a better chance of maintaining your flow.

If you really want all-mountain-type riding, consider schlepping over to Sandy Ridge. If you like that kind of riding you might find the "pavement up, one-way-trail down" concept works better for you.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Jan 2004
    Thanks for sharing all the good intel -- I'm stoked to ride it! Found some photos and it looks like some beautiful views and terrain.

One question for you, 42t: any particular reason for parking at Brown's Camp instead of the Roger's Camp or Summit TH's?

I'll probably try for today, tomorrow or Monday to avoid the crowds. And I promise to leave my full-face and goggles at home, LeeMan...

(Anyone out there who's interested in giving me the tour, send me a PM. I can guarantee a post-ride growler.)

mtbr member
    The Gales Creek/Storeyburn/Historic Hiking Trail is one of my favorites. My preference is to park at the Gales Creek CG, to many motos at Rogers Camp, never parked at Browns Camp (and not sure where it is either). Make sure you also ride Sickter Lars, it's a little odd with very little flow but does have some nice technical features. It begins and ends at the top of the Storeyburn Trail.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    42t nailed it. I park at Brown's because that's the only section worth riding, IMHO. I'd rather do two loops at Brown's than waste my time at Gales unless you really like to climb.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - You owe 42t a beer!
    PSS - If you go tomorrow or Monday I could meet up but I will be slow on the uphills because I only have my FR bike for a couple weeks (trail bike is DOA) so you'll probably be doing a lot of waiting.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    PSS - If you go tomorrow or Monday I could meet up but I will be slow on the uphills because I only have my FR bike for a couple weeks (trail bike is DOA) so you'll probably be doing a lot of waiting.
    Rad -- let's make it happen! Just PM'ed you...

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    PS - You owe 42t a beer!
    I always pay my (beer) debts...I've got a tallboy of Ft. George Vortex with your name on it, 42t.

mtbr member
    I just rode those trails there this past weekend (first time in years on Brown's at least). I definitely like the "AM" side of riding as opposed to just XC and found this to be my preferred route even though it involves a lots of pedalling and climbing to get to the most continuous descending sections.

Start at Gales CG, climb up/down Gales (section along hwy 6) to summit TH, cross hwy to Browns, Brown's CW to end of Gravelle Bros just past bridge, head NW on Storey Burn to top of TH, Sicktar Lars loop at top if feeling it or just descend Storey Burn heading north toward Gales Creek to bridge and up and down Gales to CG. FWIW, I descended Gales from Summit TH to CG last weekend and forgot how much up/down it is even though the new re-route flow style is kind of cool but doesn't allow for much speed. So for that, I prefer the Storey Burn descent. Out of all of those trails though, I usually just prefer to ride Gales out/back to Reheer's and back, but trail is closed 4 miles in from CG due to logging (suppose to re-open sometime this month according to forest service). Hopes it re-opens soon as the descent down to Reheer's rips (if no horses) or just do Raven's DH instead, and 6 mile return back down Gales is a fun roller-coaster descent as well. Hope brief logging section didn't kill it .
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a technical downhill you can incorporate Raven's Ridge into a loop. Start at Gales Creek and take the portion of the trail that goes north. Take that to Bell Camp road. Take Bell Camp west to Ravens. Descend ravens and ride the road back towards Reheers Camp and the north end of the Gales Creek trail. Ride Gales back to the car. It involves lots of climbing but you will get two fun descents.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Storey Burn descent is super fun. Don't skip it... the out & back on Gales is not a grind if you want more trail.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!