mtbr member

Gales Creek "Epic"

This past Saturday I headed out to Tillamook to dominate a longer ride I've been wanting to try for a while. I parked and started from the Summit TH, headed up Story Burn Rd. and continued to Bell Camp Rd. and on to the junction with Gales Creek Trail. I then hit the steep downhill single track to the north all the way to Reehers Camp for a short break. Picked up fireroad again to then retrace back to the Gales Creek/Bell Camp Rd. junction again, then hit the southern and main Gales Creek Trail - basically a large figure 8. Took the silky sweet Gales all the way down to the Story Burn trail junction and then a grind up to the Story Burn TH and then continued under Rt. 6 to Gravelle Brothers, next to Rogers Camp and then back to the car.

What a great ride, long fireroad climbs with smooth single track descents. Storey Burn Rd. is a smooth and steady climb, Bell Camp Rd. has fresh stone laid, so the riding is slow and sluggish. The climb from Reehers back to the G.C. TH is a bit more challenging, but the views of Helens, Adams, and Hood all at once are worth it.

This long loop ended up being 29 mi. with 6700 ft. of climbing. Needless to say I took Sunday off.

T-Rex
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tree Hugger
    nice pics
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

MattSavage

Top 5 rides...

Gales Cr. area is some of the best in western Oregon in my opinion. This is an old photo, but shows it off well enough. There's one more in my gallery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Always Breaking Stuff
    I did almost the same ride Saturday except we didn't make it all the way out to Reehers, and I was worked! Nice job!

-Jon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trexnfx
    This past Saturday I headed out to Tillamook to dominate a longer ride I've been wanting to try for a while. I parked and started from the Summit TH, headed up Story Burn Rd. and continued to Bell Camp Rd. and on to the junction with Gales Creek Trail. I then hit the steep downhill single track to the north all the way to Reehers Camp for a short break. Picked up fireroad again to then retrace back to the Gales Creek/Bell Camp Rd. junction again, then hit the southern and main Gales Creek Trail - basically a large figure 8. Took the silky sweet Gales all the way down to the Story Burn trail junction and then a grind up to the Story Burn TH and then continued under Rt. 6 to Gravelle Brothers, next to Rogers Camp and then back to the car.

What a great ride, long fireroad climbs with smooth single track descents. Storey Burn Rd. is a smooth and steady climb, Bell Camp Rd. has fresh stone laid, so the riding is slow and sluggish. The climb from Reehers back to the G.C. TH is a bit more challenging, but the views of Helens, Adams, and Hood all at once are worth it.

This long loop ended up being 29 mi. with 6700 ft. of climbing. Needless to say I took Sunday off.

T-Rex
    That waterfall pic is a framer! Nice pic Tony, and good riding for sure up there right now. I rode the Storey Burn rd/trail and Gravelle Bros. loop on Tues. after work (only about 13mi, but plenty for me). It is some of the best riding I have had up there or anywhere for that matter and I just got back from a week's worth of riding while on vacation in CO.

mtbr member
    Are the trails fairly well marked at Gales Cr? Couldn't find it in my guidebook, and am looking to do a 10-12 mile ride with my dog this weekend. I rode Browns camp a few weeks ago and am hooked on the area. The historical trail was very well marked.

mtbr member
    Yes, very well marked, you could just do an out and back on Gales Creek, the climbing is not bad at all and more dog friendly in the shade and along the creek. For this route I'd park at the Gales Creek Campground right off Rt. 6. REI has Tillamook S.F. maps or just check out the posted map at the Summit T.H.

T-Rex

mtbr member
    Thanks, I always ride with a tripod on the longer rides just in case. I spent so many weekends after I first moved here out near Mt. Hood, SW WA, and Central OR - I've really ignored Tillamook until the past month or so. Wilson River Trail (east) is amazing as well, and the west leg has some nice sections as well (need to get past the first 3 miles or so to get to the better section).

A few weeks earlier I did a similar route GC/Storey Burn Rd. route (~20 mi.) minus the downhill section to Reehers and did not see another person let alone another rider - incredible.

T-Rex

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks - I rode the story burn loop on Saturday. Great ride with a surprisingly tough climb! Next time I'll prob combine it with brown's camp. 8 miles was a little short - but still a great loop!