mtbr member

Funner - where is it?

A little while back someone posted a cool video of a trail in Bend called Funner. Can someone tell me how to get to the trail head? Is it on any maps? Feel free to PM me if it's location shouldn't be shared here. I'm hoping for a Bend trip this weekend and would like to check it out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Funner Map

http://www.cotamtb.com/files/WanogaTrails%2010-7-08.pdf

If you like it, consider a donation to COTA, who is responsible for all the great new (and old) trails being built in the Bend area.

Let's roll.
    FYI - If you park at Wanoga sno-park, and plan on riding the Funner/Twinks loop, you'll be doing the DH first (Funner) and then climbing back up to the car via Twinks. For a quick-ish loop, I usually park at the fire road just down the road from where Storm King crosses Century, and ride up Twinks and down Funner. I tend to like finishing with the downhill, rather than the other way round. To each his own, though.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Seems to me that for the mean time the Funner payoff isn't worth the climb up T-winks. I'm sure it will be getting better but its a real drag riding up and over tables and drops on T-winks as one climbs up knowing they will be "funner" the other way. The super fun gully section on Funner is real short now and the early clear cut section and the old road sections were less than "Funner". (I know they will all get better and am looking forward to that. Thank you all deeply for the efforts so far. ) But, everyone in my group (21 on that day) felt that they don't need to go back until the rest is complete. Both trails seem to be more designed as downs, Though the section from Kiwa to Wanoga is definately XC. Shuttling both from Wanoga to the Stom King Crossing seems like more sense now... Though I'm not a shuttle fan at all. Also, there are a lot of confusing intersections not on the generously provided map at this time. Especially the first one coming down off Kiwa to Wanoga. And, several more that look like passing lanes for races? One can see where some end but the others are just confusing. Andy, I would think finishing T-winks from the road/moto section down to SK rocks would be pretty cool as well. No? Just another 2 cents from an out of state grateful COTA member... Keep up the good work!

Let's roll.
    Funny you should say that. When we did a group ride up Twinks to go down Funner, a few people asked, "We're coming down this, right?" Suffice to say, I still haven't ridden down it, partly because i loathe the thought of going up the bottom half of Funner.

But yeah, the first/top half of Funner through the clear cuts and the fire roads isn't what makes Funner, funner. Guess it depends on if you want a long (6 miles, say) XC-ish downhill with fewer rock drops and big berms, or a shorter downhill that feels more freeride-ish (well, the bottom half, anyway) with bigger drops, berms and log rides. Decisions, decisions. A win-win, either way, I'm sure.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode it a couple weeks ago and it's nothing like the video!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info! So what is Tiddlywinks like? Just normal singletrack or does it have jumps/stunts? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudlover71
    I rode it a couple weeks ago and it's nothing like the video!
    In what way, if you don't mind me asking? The reason I'm asking cause I made the video and think it captures the fun stuff on FUNNER fairly well. But yeah, the top section through the clearcut leaving Wanoga SP is not the greatest section. FUNNER is a nice, true AM trail, IMO and a nice addition to all the other near endless miles of singletrack there already. But, anything that gets you out of Phil's is a good thing in my opinion!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nothing wrong with the video. It just made the trail seem flowy and the jumps/rocks seemed to be linked. Not saying it's a bad trail just not what I expected .BTW loved the log ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudlover71
    Nothing wrong with the video. It just made the trail seem flowy and the jumps/rocks seemed to be linked. Not saying it's a bad trail just not what I expected .BTW loved the log ride.
    Cool, yeah I here ya, you have to keep the momentum and speed up while letting the suspension carrying you through the rock drops to keep any kind of rhythm and flow. When I shot the video, it was my second pass through and I knew what to expect and had an idea how I wanted to ride it after taking plenty of time checking out stuff the first time through.

Also, when we rode it for the second run, we hooked into the trail off of Century Dr. just before first rock drop section where the real descent on Funner starts and rode it all the way down to bottom of Storm King for a nice 7 mile, mostly continuous descent. I don't shuttle much, but that would the preferred way to ride this for the most fun, IMO. I think you would like it better the next time you rode it, once you knew where everything was and how to carry your speed through it, but I bet it is pretty loose and dusty right now. If I were to go back to the area around this time, I would probably just ride the upper elevation trails above 6k' now to try to escape the thick dust.

JG
    Ride On!