Afric Pepperbird

Funner and T'winks: clockwise, or counter?

Which do you prefer?

I have read various places here that the recommended route is clockwise. And so that's what I've done the few times I've ridden it.

At first, the trail really underwhelmed me. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. However, each subsequent ride has gotten better and better, to where I think it really is a nice ride. But yesterday, I could not help thinking to myself, "What is preventing this ride from being really great?". I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me: I was riding it in the wrong direction!

Yes, that's right... counterclockwise is the way to go on this trail! Today I parked off of Cascade Lakes Hwy, on a little road just immediately before where Storm King crosses the highway. I then pedaled up Funner, which is a nice warm-up, and not too strenuous at all. There are a couple chutes that need walked, but it's very rideable. Then I had a blast on the 8+ mile descent on T'winks! It is 75% downhill, and loads of fun.

At 200 pounds, I'm a fairly strong climber, but I prefer my climbs at the beginning of my rides, as opposed to the ends. This direction is great, and I recommend it to all.

So, what is your preference?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Agree! Tiddly makes a better descent than Funner.

However, I would prefer to just get dropped off at Wanoga then ride my way home. One way trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    totally agree. the fun stuff on funner can just be sessioned on the way up if you want to ride it.

Let's roll.
    I love the lower half of funner, but I've only ever ridden up Twinks. And every time I do, I think, man, this would be a BLAST to ride down.

The only thing about doing it counter clockwise is that the lower half of Funner, with the berms and rock drops, is more of a DH run. The last time two times I've ridden Funner, I've seen people bail because they're in the middle of flowing rock drops and suddenly there's a person or a person's dog climbing up the trail. That section of trail is designed for speed and flow (like Whoops, but not as long), and people coming up said trail make for inevitable conflicts.

Granted, it's the nature of the beast: you gotta get up to get down, be it Funner or Twinks.

Might have to try Twinks out in the "right" direction this weekend.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    I love the lower half of funner, but I've only ever ridden up Twinks. And every time I do, I think, man, this would be a BLAST to ride down.

The only thing about doing it counter clockwise is that the lower half of Funner, with the berms and rock drops, is more of a DH run. The last time two times I've ridden Funner, I've seen people bail because they're in the middle of flowing rock drops and suddenly there's a person or a person's dog climbing up the trail. That section of trail is designed for speed and flow (like Whoops, but not as long), and people coming up said trail make for inevitable conflicts.

Granted, it's the nature of the beast: you gotta get up to get down, be it Funner or Twinks.

I guess that's the thing... riding down T'winks reminds me a lot of riding down Whoops (the old whoops, before they were "tables"). Very fun, fast, and flowy. Funner, to me, is not too flowy. And it's a bit short.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy

Maybe there should be alternate "climbing" lines in those spots.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Isn't there a dirt road that goes all the way to the top of Funner, basically between Funner and Century?

VP/ Terrain Designer
    My favorite direction is downhill!
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    We had a little group ride up twinks last week, and at the top I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to go right back down it.
    I think it makes a great out and back (I need to figure out how to get a sixer stashed at the top to provide a few extra ounces of motivation).

please, just ride
    +1 for out and back on Twinks. Or clockwise. Or counterclockwise. Try em all for variety.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    My wife and I rode down Tiddlywinks yesterday. It was so incredibly dusty though, so we had to go very slowly and very carefully (as opposed to my usual fast and out of control). When the trail gets packed down it will be a Rager.

I kept thinking about dirt farmer's comment about it feeling like the old Whoops.

just like a speeder-bike
    Rode up Funner and down T-winks this weekend. I'd never been on T-winks before (and I'd only ridden down Funner, back when it was very new.)

Counterclockwise (up Funner/down T-winks) is the way to go. And oh my goodness what an amazing descent! That's the most fun downhill trail around Bend now, in my book. At least for us mortals who don't clear doubles. T-winks is more "open" feeling that Lower Whoops -- it's easier to avoid the big jumps, and there are so many little ones... and it is so bloody fast. I was grinning constantly. Thanks to everyone who helped build these new, amazing trails!

(It made me regret that I can't make Pickett's Charge this weekend -- who ever is racing is going to love it.)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    T'winks is great! and even though I like lower whoops, T'winks is more of a great trail for everyone. Funner is already pretty dialed for those who want to bomb and winks is great in some sections while some newer areas need another winter. Question though, the section on T'winks that has dirt piles for doubles; why is there no true alternate route for those who do not want to hit the jumps?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by redbadger5
    T'winks is great! and even though I like lower whoops, T'winks is more of a great trail for everyone. Funner is already pretty dialed for those who want to bomb and winks is great in some sections while some newer areas need another winter. Question though, the section on T'winks that has dirt piles for doubles; why is there no true alternate route for those who do not want to hit the jumps?
    I don't think it's finished yet. When I rode it a week or two ago there was an alternate line that entire stretch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I don't think it's finished yet. When I rode it a week or two ago there was an alternate line that entire stretch.
    Those sections of T'winks are "a work in progress". Moto's still have access to that road until January of 2011 so we wont be putting to much time in to fine tuning that section until next spring. Look for new single track to be put in on the uphill side of that road over this summer and next. Picket's Charge should help the new section of single track that we put in a couple weeks ago (racers will be routed down that instead of the jump line).

We'd love to have you all help, there is a ton of work to be done. COTA work parties are going on every Wednesday. Check cotamtb.com for details.

I'm stoked you guys like our trail, Jeff Newman has been putting in a ton of time building it (his beer of choice is Rainier) .

I think T'winks is better than the "old" lower whoops because it's way way faster.

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 541mob
    I think T'winks is better than the "old" lower whoops because it's way way faster.
    Amen, yes, way faster.

And it's longer, oh so much longer (felt like doing lower whoops, what, maybe 5 or more times?)... And where there are jumps, you can easily avoid them if you want... and the trees aren't so close in that you fear you'll hit them everytime you jump... And... ok, I'll stop the love-fest now.

please, just ride
    Well mob,I guess the secret is out. time for you to go build another trail.

mtbr member
    I think I am going to the race out there tomorrow, where is a free place to camp? I don't need no amenities, just a place to park and set my tarp.