mtbr member

Frozen hands. What do you do?

I'm researching glove liners an such, but wondering what you all have for gloves/liners, to prevent your fingers from feeling like they are going to crack off.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    move to Florida.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
    move to Florida.
    Off yourself before moving to this apocalyptic nightmare.I have had a pair of Smartwool glove liners for years.They have continued to serve me well and they occupy a very small place in the backpack.On a pockets only day they are just as easy to pack.Some type of shell may save a digit as well(Pearl Izumi makes one,they are not waterproof).
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
    move to Florida.
    Blah too muggy and hot...
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Should have labeled the title, what do you "use". Left the smartass comment door open on that one....
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    latex gloves under your normal gloves, will work fine until snow comes, than switch to winter gloves. The 661 winter gloves keep my hands sweaty all winter around here. Even at horse on the coldest of days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Depends on what you mean by cold. On my morning commute, I use ski mittens on the coldest days. I have yet to find a glove that can keep my hands warm when temps are in the 30s. Don't doubt one exists, but I haven't found it. A lot of this is personal too -- a glove that doesn't work for me may work fine for others. But of course mittens aren't practical for mountain biking. If it is in the 30s, I don't go mountain biking!

For temps in the 40s I use a decent pair of ski gloves. Cheaper than "bike gloves" and work just as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks all.

Curious about the latex gloves. Seems like your hands would sweat and get clammy. Easy enough to try though!

Liking the 661 winter gloves idea. Did not know about them.

Ski gloves just seem too bulky, but I can see if street riding that could be fine.

This would be for aggressive riding as an option, so I would still like a good feel on the grips.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    I usually use a pair of warmer type cycling gloves for most conditions, but if it gets really cold, I like the Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves. They are a bit bulky IMO, but work well.

If it's wet, I usually carry two pairs of gloves and switch mid day or when the gloves wet through and my hands get cold. I do this for cycling and skiing.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Afric Pepperbird
    There was a thread about this a couple of years ago (did you search?)

I use these Sears Craftsman gloves, of which I bought for $5, and I now see have gone up a bit. These are fine until about 30 degrees. I've not tried them below that, but I can tell they would then be a bit lacking. Someone else recommended some cheap gloves from Harbor Freight, on the South end of town.

mtbr member
    I searched and found some good idea's and products, but after a few people saying "these worked great when it was 65* out", I figured I would narrow it down to a location focused on true COLD temps.

On that note, good call on the "mechanics" style gloves I didn't even think of that.
    Bend, Oregon

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I'm researching glove liners an such, but wondering what you all have for gloves/liners, to prevent your fingers from feeling like they are going to crack off.
    I use Kinco Thermal Grip gloves. ~$6 at Coastal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I usually wear lobster gloves, but I also struggle to keep my hands warm, particularly if it is wet (which it typically is in this rain forest area).

Old & slow
    I have Raynaud's so keeping my hands warm can be a real challenge. If there is any possibility that the weather will be cold, I carry these (Specialized Bicycle Components : Radiant) in my pack. For really cold rides I also carry small chemical hand warmers that I can put inside the gloves. But so far, the gloves have kept my hands warm on rides in the 30s.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a set of Endura winter gloves, waterproof and warm. Actually can get too warm if the temps climb during the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    also think about your core and arms. If your core/arms are cold no matter what type of gloves you have on your hands will be cold. Try wearing a full jacket or vest+arm warmers. As a climber I have found that if I keep at least my arms warm I can wear thinner gloves cutting down on hand sweat which will also make your hands cold in the long run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    I have a set of Endura winter gloves, waterproof and warm. Actually can get too warm if the temps climb during the ride.
    +1 for endura

I got nothin'

Smart Wool

I have a pair of smart wool gloves that I use into the 40's by themselves. They keep my hands warm when they are wet too. Below the forties, I use a lobster shell over the wool gloves. Seems to work great for me.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I know there are heated grips available for snowmobiles and motorcycles.... the thought has definitely crossed my mind... I wonder how much battery you'd need to carry?

I have a couple sets of insulated work gloves, they probably came from Harbor Freight or something equivalent. If it is dry and cold, no problem, but wet and cold sucks. Aside from bringing multiple sets of gloves and turning around before going numb I have not found a good solution.

Edit: check this out...
    Heated MTB Ergo Tri

Sometimes I say stupid things

Clear a path Buckwheat
    Jul 2007

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thuren View Post
    I have had great luck with these:
    Bald Eagle Thinsulate with Pigskin gloves. I just did a quick search; I cannot recommend the merchant necessarily, but I did find them at the Ace Hardware in Sandy Oregon last year. I'm in the market for another pair, not just for the cold wet riding season, but because I work in a refrigerated environment and these also work well for schlepping cold boxes of meat.

I bet you can find them at a Coastal or other farm and ranch type supply store. They're not exactly waterproof, but the thinsulate will keep your digits warm even when wet.

highly visible
    Cheap Thinsulate work gloves, like Shiggy and Snake Muesl. I have them in two different weights, one (Gorgonz? From Home Cheapo, I think) for temps in the 40s and a warmer pair (Kinco) for the 30s. Then I switch to ski gloves once it drops into the 20s.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 10-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In colorado I have had frozen hands even with ski gloves before, on long descents. I think the ultimate for super cold weather is the handlebar cover style, like this:

GO PRO POLAR HANDS

That's what I see the alaska fat tire riders using.

This winter I'm thinking about trying the ghetto version with some 2 liter pop bottles as windshields. Also probably will go with flat pedals and winter boots - in below 20 degree weather my lakes just don't do the trick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    In colorado I have had frozen hands even with ski gloves before, on long descents. I think the ultimate for super cold weather is the handlebar cover style, like this:

GO PRO POLAR HANDS

That's what I see the alaska fat tire riders using.

This winter I'm thinking about trying the ghetto version with some 2 liter pop bottles as windshields. Also probably will go with flat pedals and winter boots - in below 20 degree weather my lakes just don't do the trick.
    Those things kick arse and I use something similar for sea kayaking in windy/cold weather. One thing that has always worked for me for aggressive cold weather riding is goggles for the eyes and I just use chemical packet warmers on the back of my hands. I just stuff them in my glove on the back of my hand. This contacts almost all the veins warming the blood on the way to your fingers. Not as comfortable as thick gloves but you get better control with regular riding gloves and works quite well.