Thread: Front Page News

Metalheadbikerider

Front Page News

Check out the article on the front page of oregonlive about mountain biking in Forest Park:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...t_park_to.html

Now that it is in the mainstream media for debate, we all need to be involved if we want access.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Some of those comments are just ignorant.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

endoguy
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I love Marcy Houle.. If they allow mountain bikes what's next? Motocross and tanks?? But to be serious, they have a few "fun" runs in the park every year. Maybe they should outlaw horses, at least my bike doesn't leave behind a big smelly mess.

troubled economist
    More press on this issue:

BikePortland.org

Includes links to Marcy Houle's letter, as well as a response letter from Frank Selker.

***fixed link to go to top of article, not directly to the comments section***
    Last edited by toowacky; 10-29-2009 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Compared to the comments that get made on Oregon Live when a cyclist gets killed, these actually aren't too bad.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by endoguy
    I love Marcy Houle.. If they allow mountain bikes what's next? Motocross and tanks?? But to be serious, they have a few "fun" runs in the park every year. Maybe they should outlaw horses, at least my bike doesn't leave behind a big smelly mess.
    Right. "What's next?" Houle asks. Well, let's think about this... the problem actually started when the City let people into Forest Park in the first place. Look... hiking has led to mountain biking. In keeping with Houle's reasoning, all human entry to Forest Park should be eliminated. End of problem.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    I haven't seen the argument yet that bikers are more likely to ride to Forest Park in contrast to hikers who drive their cars there. So much for environmental impact.

mtbr member
    There is a post to this website

http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/mountain-bikes.asp

they actually say bikes do more damage to trails than horses... unreal.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsid
    There is a post to this website

http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/mountain-bikes.asp

they actually say bikes do more damage to trails than horses... unreal.
    If the bikes have gas powered engines then they can do more damage than a horse. Maybe somebody should explain to those who suffer negative prejudice against mountain bikers that mountain biking is low impact, and that in view of the fact that mountain bikers are now the largest group of trail users,* as well as some of the most active in trail maintenance,* maybe the old school, "traditional" trail users should consider welcoming the mountain biking / trailworking community with open arms.

~Sparty

*Okay, I admit I assume this. But I really do imagine it's true. It is, isn't it?

P.S. Personally I did 4 hours of trail maintenance today. Loved every minute of it.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    If the bikes have gas powered engines then they can do more damage than a horse. Maybe somebody should explain to those who suffer negative prejudice against mountain bikers that mountain biking is low impact, and that in view of the fact that mountain bikers are now the largest group of trail users,* as well as some of the most active in trail maintenance,* maybe the old school, "traditional" trail users should consider welcoming the mountain biking / trailworking community with open arms.

~Sparty

*Okay, I admit I assume this. But I really do imagine it's true. It is, isn't it?

P.S. Personally I did 4 hours of trail maintenance today. Loved every minute of it.
    Umm, not sure if you're serious, but I'm pretty sure mt bikers do a smaller portion of trail maintenance out there. Could be that in your area mt bikers do the majority of the work, but I'd say the other user groups way out number mt bikers across the board.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    "Maybe somebody should explain to those who suffer negative prejudice against mountain bikers that mountain biking is low impact..."

sparticus, that is what we are trying to do. Explain to other users that bikes do not do more damage than hiking, you can build sustainable trails, bikers will do trail maintenance, and that there are ways to get along to make conflicts non-existent. however, hikers/runners in forest park do not want to "give up" what they have in forest park, which is basically private use of single track. so they keep the same old story of bikes are bad, bikes ruin trails, bikers destroy the environment. i am sure you can understand how this can go in a circle over and over.

to me its just a matter of education, and keep trying till people learn that we can all get along. its just a matter of time, there are lots of people working hard in portland to educate people who have a skewed view of bikes and trails.

its a weird environment here in portland when it comes to forest park, people who do not want bikes in the park seem to be adamant about it staying the way it is. they dont want to listen and think that mt. bikers are the apocalypse.

endoguy
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsid
    " however, hikers/runners in forest park do not want to "give up" what they have in forest park, which is basically private use of single track.
    This should read "private use of public single track." What most forget is this is a public park.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Typical. Part of a good urban plan would be to incorporate the hobbies of those dwelling the city so they don't have to drive. It relieves congestions, but it also improved equity, quality of life and other aspects Oregon's cities are required to plan for.

I used to run in Forest Park all the time. I do think hikers/bikers should be separated because there can be quite a few people about during nice days. Assuming that they would actually sit down and look at examples of impacts from singletrack in urban areas and managed to get an advocacy group dedicated and capable of keeping their trails in good condition, I would imagine it will happen.

I'd love a coupe loops accessed off Lief Erickson...

troubled economist

Some better news today....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Maus(BikePortland)
    Parks Commissioner Nick Fish has voiced strong support for creating more singletrack opportunities in Forest Park. Yesterday I sat down with Fish and his Natural Resources Policy Advisor Emily Hicks to see where things stand on the issue after the recent spate of headlines.

Fish chalked up the anti-bike sentiments expressed in the news to people who got “a little ahead of themselves.” At the Forest Park Single Track Cycling Advisory Committee meeting on Wednesday, Fish and Parks Director Zari Santner addressed the concerns. Fish says he now feels like the discussions are back on track. “People are taking a deep breath."
    More here:
    bikeportland.org/.../interview-with-commissioner-fish-forest-park-talks-are-back-on-track/

Metalheadbikerider

Really, really good news....

Did you read the comments? See the one about the guy who ran into Marcy Houle? What a great idea-a trail that runs the distance (or mostly) of Wildwood at a lower elevation. How sweet would that be? And now that NWTA is partnered with IMBA (and parks!), maybe something like that can happen eventually.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Ovaries on the Outside
    Portland just released a bicycle master plan. Part of the policy is the inclusion of narrow, natural paths.

troubled economist

Yep, Northwest Trail Alliance was part of the process...

As noted in the following link, the City is taking public comments until Nov 8th on the draft of the Bicycle Master Plan.

See:
    http://nw-trail.org/node/1583

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Archer (NWTA)
    Several NWTA members participated in the first ever of-road cycling subcommittee for the PDX Master Plan revisions. This is new territory for the Advisory Committee - traditionally much of the funding comes from transportation sources and so natural surface trails aren't emphasized or even considered. There is now a section in the BMP dedicated to off-road cycling. Please refer to Section 3.6 of the BMP.
    Review the draft copy here:

Bicycle Master Plan public comment draft copy

Comments may be submitted by e-mail to:

bicyclemasterplan@pdxtrans.org

Comments may be submitted through the online form:

Portland Bicycle Plan Comment Form

Send in your support for natural surface trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I don't bring five mountain bikes up the trail, crapping all the way, to graze a delicate alpine meadow. Also, since when is it my fault when someone's domesticated animal gets "spooked" by my presence? Your horse is compromising our safety, not me. Once, while backpacking in the Sisters wilderness, my friends and I were asked not just to get off the trail, but to remove our packs when a group of fat equestrians came up on us. I'm not saying MTB should be allowed on the delicate trails of the PCT, or in wilderness areas, but let's stop with the horse-user butt kissing.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Egar
    I don't bring five mountain bikes up the trail, crapping all the way, to graze a delicate alpine meadow. Also, since when is it my fault when someone's domesticated animal gets "spooked" by my presence? Your horse is compromising our safety, not me. Once, while backpacking in the Sisters wilderness, my friends and I were asked not just to get off the trail, but to remove our packs when a group of fat equestrians came up on us. I'm not saying MTB should be allowed on the delicate trails of the PCT, or in wilderness areas, but let's stop with the horse-user butt kissing.
    Personally, I would like to see MTB in Wilderness Areas... Especially as those idiots in Congress add more and more acerage to the protected "Wilderness" land. These environmental wackos should realize that Mountain Bikers are a growing group that have the best interest of our naturual surroundings at heart. I can't stand these extreme environmental schmucks!! They do not use logic in their thinking.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail