mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Freemont Trail Conditions?

Anyone happen to know the current condition of the Freemont National Trail? Called the Silver Lake Ranger District and all they knew was that it was cleared from Antler to Farmwell, conditions were unknown from Antler to Yamsey, which is the section I am most interested in.

Any information, or leads on who may know something would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sigh.. Sections from Yamsay to Thompson reservoir should be clear since they are more used hiking and hunting trails. From the reservior to Fremont Rim area is hit or miss. The fire pretty much got ride of the trail along the rim in sections. Work was done to try and clear the trail and get it going again, but more people were needed to fix it. We carried our bikes/rode through another section of trail through the fire area that had been cleared the year before and was littered in down trees from one season, which was scary to think of your chances of being there when a tree could come down..
    San Souie, you are the person to talk more details...
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the info Cog Wild, sounds like an adventure. How far is it from Yamsey to Thompson? Have you been there this year? Trying to decide if it is worth it, based on the Ranger Station saying it is cleared from Antler to Farmwell.

it means 'no problem'
    Antler to Farmwell is a great section, a long day. Since the Yamsay Mt. segment is much higher elevation, and based on the fact that we still have snow patches on Flagline tie, I would guess that Yamsay not only has not been cleared but has significant snow. That makes trail finding much more difficult (in an area where, in perfect conditions the trail is hard to find sometimes)

I suggest calling Larry Hills at the Lakeview S.O. for trail info, although he usually knows more about the Southern segments, such as Chewaucan Crossing to Cox Pass and the entire Eastern segment on the Warner Mt. range.

I have not been thee this year. When I do, I'll post conditions.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Sans, I will check out the Antler to Farm Wells section. May see how far up Yamsey I can get. I have someone's GPS track so that should help with route finding, I hope.

The bad news is that I was told Larry no longer works there. I did talk to the recreation guy at Lakeview District Office and he said they haven't cleared it yet, but will get to it later this season. He also said they "worked it hard" last year and cleared and reestablished it 1/2 N of Freemont Point. Sounds like they will try to extend it N this year too. Once they get to it, that'd be a long stretch of trail. Sounds like a late summer/fall trip would be ideal.

I am gonna do some riding there this weekend, will let you know how it is.

Thanks

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Five miles each way from Fremont Point was clear last fall, barring one tree in each direction. Nicer walking than riding, IMO, but to each their own. From what I heard Fremont to Farm Wells should also have been clear but, given the incompletely logged spots I cleaned up, I wouldn't count on it. Farm Wells to Antler does get usually cleared yearly and at least Hager to just below Antler is probably clear as of a month or so ago. I know Auger Canyon to close to Silver Marsh and from 3038 to 028 are clear of trees as Kit and I cut those out. But I don't know how much brush hogging and log out KFalls BCH completed between Auger and 3038---pile of stuff came down around Silver Marsh so they had a good sized job to do; couple major project trees at least. There were also 23+ trees down around Antler with, last I heard, no one planning to get them out.

Hmm, I should add the Fremont to my sig...
    Metolius-Windigo trail steward from Happy Valley to Todd Creek---PM me if you'd like to help maintain Metolius-Windigo!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Twest, so sounds like I may have good riding from Farmwell to Antler, with some stuff down here and there. I will report back.

Completely appreciate all the knowledge on here. It's pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In case anyone is interested, I rode from Farmwell to Antler and back. Overall trail is in good shape, only 5 trees down, all on the Antler side of Hager Mountain. The section of trail climbing out of Auger Valley (where you cross the outlet of Thompson Reservoir) and a section after Silver Creek are pretty overgrown. It's rideable but my shins look pretty gnarly. Otherwise the descent from Antler to Silver Creek Marsh is pretty rad, and the descent from Hager to Farmwell is awesome. Probably the best flow of any non MTB specific trail I have been on. I could ride that all day.

I also rode a few miles East from Farmwell, and that had all been cleared, but it was one rocky gully of a trail, but I was following a great horned owl, so it was pretty cool.

Definitely worth the trip for you Bendites. I would love to check out the Winter Rim section someday. The potential out there is limitless.

Thanks again for the Beta.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by pdccx View Post
    Thanks again for the Beta.
    No, Thank you! I agree about the descents from Hager Summit to Farmwell and from Antler to Silver Cr. Marsh. Another awesome section is from Government Harvey Pass down to Chewaucan Crossing. Can't wait to get back out there...
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey