Thread: Fr44

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fr44

With the mild winter, anyone know if the road is clear all the way to Dufur?

troubled economist

mtbr member
    I bet the snow coverage on FR44 is pretty thin, we've been seeing a lot of snowmobilers in places we normally don't this year while skiing in the backcountry, but I doudt you could get anywhere near Dufur.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Singletrack Addict
    I was at 3200 feet on Falls Creek Trail (WA) last weekend and ran into a couple feet of snow. The trailhead for Surveyor's on RD 44 is around 4000 feet. It is still only March (OK, almost April) so maybe May Day instead of Flag Day we'll have access?

ronbo613
    Coming down from Meadows last Thursday it looked like the county guys were taking the "Road Closed" barriers down on 44 where it meets 35.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Coming down from Meadows last Thursday it looked like the county guys were taking the "Road Closed" barriers down on 44 where it meets 35.
    Hmmm, could be they can get the snow off the road and opened up sooner than the stuff in the trees and on the trails melts? Don't know. Next time you're out there, maybe drive up to the Surveyor's TH and get some eyes on the ground?

ronbo613
    There really wasn't that much snow left at that elevation last week but looks like a good bit of snow on the way for next week, but I would guess the snow will be above 3000'.
    You never know around here.