Thread: Forest pass

Spin-stabilized

Forest pass

So we decided to ride the lower parts of N. Umpqua trail but forgot to buy a day use pass. We don't have time to wait for one to be mailed to us as we are driving up to Oregon tomorrow. We'll be hitting NUT on Monday the 22nd. Can we purchase day use permits at the trailhead? We plan on starting from either the hot springs or soda springs trailhead.

By the way, are bears going to be a problem out in the Paradise campground?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    So we decided to ride the lower parts of N. Umpqua trail but forgot to buy a day use pass. We don't have time to wait for one to be mailed to us as we are driving up to Oregon tomorrow. We'll be hitting NUT on Monday the 22nd. Can we purchase day use permits at the trailhead? We plan on starting from either the hot springs or soda springs trailhead.

By the way, are bears going to be a problem out in the Paradise campground?

Thanks!
    Bears are not generally a problem in Oregon, Racoons on the other hand can be pretty devious.

You should be able to pick up a forest pass either at a sporting goods store or a forest service ranger station prior to monday. The pass isn't for a specific day when you buy it. You "activate" the day pass when you cut/tear off the date that you use it and display it on your vehicle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ranger station is in the town of Glide right on the highway, which you will drive through to get to the trail (also one in Roseburg I think, but easier in Glide). Have fun, NUT is one of my favorites. Both soda Springs and Hot Springs are on the upper trail. To ride to the lower sections from there you will have to detour on the highway to get around the Calf section which is closed. To ride from either of those spots all the way down is a LONG day (I mean LOOOOONG). I guess you could ride down until you are tired then ride back on the highway. I might recomend riding up so that you could at least ride down on the highway. I always do out and backs, usually combine sections, but have yet to link the whole thing in one ride (it's on my list although I don't know that I could do it in a day). I have ridden all the sections, and the upper ones are my favorites (Deer Leap - Dread and Terror).

Have fun!