Metalheadbikerider

Forest Park work party this Sat.

With all of the great news coming out about the future of mountain biking opportunities in Forest Park as of late, now is a great time to get involved and demonstrate our stewardship of the park. Grab a shovel and do a little work, and then head to Mt. Tabor and grab a beer and watch the Soap Box derby. Best day of the year in Portland.

The Northwest Trail Alliance, in conjunction with Portland Parks and Forest Park Conservancy and Americorps, is hosting a Work Day in Forest Park on August 22nd from 9am-12pm. We will be working on Firelane 5, which is a nice piece of singletrack that is open to mountain bikers. We will meet at the intersection of Firelane 5 and Leif Erickson. This event is open to everyone. Tools will be provided, and registration is recommended so that we have enough for everyone. If you are a member of the Northwest Trails Alliance you can sign up at:
    http://nw-trail.org/node/1364
    If you are not a member of NWTA you can sign up by contacting Brian Baumann at brianfsrxc1@yahoo.com
    Please bring workgloves and dress for the weather.

Hope to see some of you mtb'ers there. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Cheers!
    Brian Baumann
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

troubled economist
    Besides FL5, what's the latest about more riding opportunities in FP?

Metalheadbikerider

A group of mtb'ers met with

Quote Originally Posted by toowacky
    Besides FL5, what's the latest about more riding opportunities in FP?
    Emily Roth (works under Nick Fish) from Portland Parks about a month ago. At that meeting she said that Parks has heard more than enough and is committed to increasing ST riding in the park by next Summer. What that will look like is yet TBD. There is going to be a committee that is formed, with 4'ish of the 10-12 seats taken up by mtb'ers. Their charge, according to her, will be to figure out where (not if) ST will be opened. There will be an application process for the other seats to weed out those simply looking to derail the committee, which I thought was great to hear. I imagine that we will have some shared trails, and hopefully be doing some trailbuilding in the future. There is also talk of redoing some of the firelanes to make them more flowy with berms (versus straight down bomb runs), and actual ST. It's all starting to finally come together. Here is a link to a write-up by Tom Archer from NWTA:
    http://nw-trail.org/node/1405

Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    can you give me any info on how to get to where we're meeting for the work party? never been there. thanks

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Rode west of Germantown today

The best riding in Forest Park. The area is a mud pit for 9 months a year but for 3 it is pretty good...but not great. Good workout. This area needs work as it is overgrown. Wildwood is still the best with lights

Jaybo

Rejoicing always!
    Here's a question: I will be up for business in the Portland area, and I'm considering renting a mountain bike, and riding in Forest Park. My other option is riding at the velodrome. Recommendations? Where should I rent? I'll be there tomorrow, so this is really short notice, I realize. :P

Metalheadbikerider

Check out

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmayne
    Here's a question: I will be up for business in the Portland area, and I'm considering renting a mountain bike, and riding in Forest Park. My other option is riding at the velodrome. Recommendations? Where should I rent? I'll be there tomorrow, so this is really short notice, I realize. :P
    Fat Tire Farm. It is blocks away from Forest Park, and they will give you some trail advice too. www.fattirefarm.com

Cheers!