Metalheadbikerider

Forest Park thoughts...

Thanks to mtb_grrrl and PUMP for the event yesterday. IMO, it was a huge success.

I got to work with the City Parks fella and he was great. Plus, I got to speak to him about mtb'er goals for not only Forest Park, but Powell Butte as well (he is the new coordinator there). He is well aware of the need for more ST, and is very willing to help us get it built (he is a young guy that used to ride as well, and maybe still does). He is also aware of the changing dynamic of mtb'ing, and wants to create trails that challenge all levels of the mtb community, including freeriders. He even brought up the idea of a DH only/mtb only FR style run at Powell Butte. I pointed him in the direction of what is happening at Blackrock since he is spending time researching other mtb areas on the net.

Now seems to be a great time for action. In addition to joining PUMP, as Shanti mentioned, why don't we get as many people as possible to join Friends of Forest Park? What impact could we have if we had a major group of well spoken mtb'ers working from within the organization, rather than simply alongside the organization? The time to force a paradigm shift is now. With the backing of Sam Adams for more ST in FP, now is the time to get invloved. The cost of gas ain't going down. Thoughts? Ideas?

http://www.friendsofforestpark.org/

Brian
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Singletrack Addict
    I agree with Brian. The pendulum is in full swing and the time is ripe to take action.

After spending last weekend hangin' with the DOD and other trips down south I realize that we have all the ingredients right here to be as dynamic and active as that solid group down there.
    Having said that, my few interactions with PUMP have been good, but lacking in inspiration. No offense Shanti, I think you are bringing a new energy and level of involvement. No offense either to Roger and the other long-time members and founders of PUMP. There has been plenty of good done and I'm sure a great group of people. Portland is a big metro area with lots and lots of people with all kinds of different perspectives. The trick is to get us all together and take advantage of this current tide of momentum.

Joining FOP is a great idea. After all, even if we just use Leif as training grounds or a foul-weather fun zone, we are grateful for the fact it is there.

Charlie

mtbr member

Make your number count

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    I agree with Brian. The pendulum is in full swing and the time is ripe to take action.

After spending last weekend hangin' with the DOD and other trips down south I realize that we have all the ingredients right here to be as dynamic and active as that solid group down there.
    Having said that, my few interactions with PUMP have been good, but lacking in inspiration. No offense Shanti, I think you are bringing a new energy and level of involvement. No offense either to Roger and the other long-time members and founders of PUMP. There has been plenty of good done and I'm sure a great group of people. Portland is a big metro area with lots and lots of people with all kinds of different perspectives. The trick is to get us all together and take advantage of this current tide of momentum.

Joining FOP is a great idea. After all, even if we just use Leif as training grounds or a foul-weather fun zone, we are grateful for the fact it is there.

Charlie
    Hey, Charlie.

No offense taken, however I do take point with a couple things:

1. Just curious exactly how involved with PUMP you've been in the past. We are the most established collective. From the outside, we may appear to be exclusively a ride club. If you are involved in the club, you realize just how much advocacy we do. Uninspired? You have to start somewhere. We hang w/ DOD a lot. They are who they are because people stopped complaining and got involved in the club. It's easy to hang on the fringe and point at the omnipitant "they." Callin' it how I see it.

2. "Portland is a big metro area with lots and lots of people with all kinds of different perspectives. The trick is to get us all together and take advantage of this current tide of momentum." The trick is to add you number to the headcount and get invovled via constructive action.

Brian is 100% spot-on correct -- and he rallied people, showed up for the trail party, and is involved in a constructive way. If you're not part of the future, you're part of the past. Time to look at a brand new day and sieze it. If you're stuck in the past, that is all you will ever see.

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Thank you for helping the Park Powers in Portland see that hikers and riders can coexist. I do both quite often. I am not much of a club or big group kind of person, but I will be there at the next work party. I ride FP several times a week on my commute home from work. Last night I got on mtbr and found out about the work party to late. I rode the newly refurbished FL5 today on the way home. Nice job banking the corners and making it flow a little better . I now see hope for Forest Park.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb_Grrl
    Hey, Charlie.

No offense taken, however I do take point with a couple things:

1. Just curious exactly how involved with PUMP you've been in the past. We are the most established collective. From the outside, we may appear to be exclusively a ride club. If you are involved in the club, you realize just how much advocacy we do. Uninspired? You have to start somewhere. We hang w/ DOD a lot. They are who they are because people stopped complaining and got involved in the club. It's easy to hang on the fringe and point at the omnipitant "they." Callin' it how I see it.

Whoa, slow down, I've never been involved in anything, let alone this entity known as PUMP. I've certainly never been involved with the DOD. I've been to a few PUMP events and a few DOD events. That was a generalization and I apologize.
    2. "Portland is a big metro area with lots and lots of people with all kinds of different perspectives. The trick is to get us all together and take advantage of this current tide of momentum." The trick is to add you number to the headcount and get invovled via constructive action.

Brian is 100% spot-on correct -- and he rallied people, showed up for the trail party, and is involved in a constructive way. If you're not part of the future, you're part of the past. Time to look at a brand new day and sieze it. If you're stuck in the past, that is all you will ever see.
    Fair enough, fair enough. But I'm who you're up against: the apathetic father of three who has a limited time to pursue his passions. Sometimes, late at night while surfing the internet he gets grumpy.

mtbr member
    Hey, Charlie.

Here's are my thoughts on this subject:

1. We need a solid "number" of "organized" mountain bikers in the city of Portland. In politics, numbers count - period. Everyone over the age of 16 knows that. We have about 200 members in PUMP. We all know that is a serious underepresentation of avid Portland Mountain Bikers.

2. PUMP is the oldest, most established mtb club in Portland. We are a dues-paying membership (pays for meeting rooms, camp sites, supplies, etc), but we rely on volunteer leadership and organization (we do have an organized board). These are things neccessary to have an organized, credible presence: A Voice that is counted.

3. As mentioned in para 2: Numbers Count! Even if you go on rides, but aren't a "meetings person." If you just want to do small groups - whatever - do it your way, but joining PUMP the way to get your number counted. Free groups are great, but a dues paying club (and the dues are very, very low) equal "committed force" when you are talking politics - and we are.

Charlie: We would love for you to bring the kids out and join the other parents on our next trail party. I have never seen so many families out having a blast together building trail. It is a fabulous way to get out of the house, build community, have fun, interact with other mountain bikers, meet new ride partners. Kids of all ages are welcome.

Get Inspired - Get Involved!

- Shanti
    Portland United Mountain Pedalers (PUMP)

Last edited by Mtb_Grrl; 11-07-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Metalheadbikerider

Aside from the upcoming...

trailbuilding party, are there other events you need our support? Are there meetings that you would like us to attend to show support? Letter writing campaigns? Anything else? Some people may not be able to attend the trailbuilding stuff, but would like to support the effort in one way or another.
    B
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Great summer place to ride

Thank you for your work but Forest Park is a toxic dump after the falls rains come. It is cool to have such a large place to ride in the area. Great work!

Jaybo