mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Forest Park Mtb Progress / FL5 Trail Party!

As PUMP’s Co-Representative to Forest Park, I am pleased to announce to our mountain biking community that progress is being made towards bringing real singletrack to the Rose City, specifically, Forest Park. An Ad-Hoc Committee of user groups has been formed under the direction of The Forest Park Conservancy (formerly Friends of Forest Park). This task force, on which I have a seat, held our first meeting last night and the future is bright. This will not happen over night. A lot of people are putting a lot of energy and time into achieving our goals. This is the time for us all to come together as Portlanders and Mountain Bikers to foster goodwill and really put our time and energy where our mouths have been for so long.

One of the major concerns the City and The Conservancy have is maintenance. The park is already strained to sustain what is there. In adding new trails, how will we maintain them? We have cited many examples of mountain bikers being excellent trail stewards when given the trails and opportunity – So fellow Mtb’ers: The time to act on that is NOW.

- Without trails, where would we be?
    - Without action & advocacy: Nowhere

At the behest of Stephen Hatfield, Director, The Forest Park Conservancy, PUMP has been asked to formally adopt and maintain Firelane 5. We are currently in that process with the City. This may seem like a small thing, but it is not. This is our opportunity to show that mountain bikers not only care, but act. A small showing will not bode well for our cause. WE NEED YOU! The Conservancy has given us their Trails Coordinator, Jeff Hough, as a resource.

Our first Trail Party is this Saturday, November 3rd from 9am – 1pm
    We need as many people to show up and lend a hand as we can. A good showing is imperative to our future aspirations in Forest Park. Please join us.

[SIZE="3"]Event: Firelane 5 Trail Party
    Date: Saturday, November 3rd
    Time: 9am – 1:00 pm
    Rendezvous Location: Bottom of Saltzman off Hwy 30
    Bring: Gloves, wet weather gear, water[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Directions: From Portland drive out Highway 30 and make a left on Saltzman Road. Drive to the gate. If you are riding your bike just ride to the bottom of Fire Lane 5.[/SIZE]

Jeff Hough will be bringing all of his trail equipment and breakfast pastries from Grand Central Bakery. Trail parties will be scheduled on a quarterly basis going forward.

Thank you for your energy and participation in this endeavor. Your participation is key to our goal!
    Please let me know if you are coming so we can have adequate tools (and pastries) for you.

Point of contact:

Shanti Ware
    Forest Park Co-Representative
    Portland United Mountain Pedalers (PUMP)
    Mtb_grrl@msn.com
    www.pumpclub.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

We had a great turn out!

Thank you to everyone that came out! We were able to get the trail into great shape for next year.

Jordan Norris
    PUMP
    www.pumpclub.org
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good job! Killer FL5 Turn-Out -- Wow!

Thanks for the great pics, Jordan.

To everyone who came to the party:
    You are all amazing! Thank you so much. We ended up with a preliminary headcount of 35! That breaks records. Though most of us were from PUMP, we had a good showing from mtbr and also (thanks to Brian's repost) riders from OBRA. Because I posted to Mtbr as an afterthought only days before the event, these riders showed special dedication by dropping everything and showing up! How cool is that? Your efforts will go a long way in what we are trying to accomplish for our riding community and our city.

To those who were unable to make it:
    Please enjoy the pics and watch out for the little trail change-up at the bottom of FL5. A little more fun & eliminates some problems. Jeff Hough (Friends of Forest Park Trail Coodinator) and I are going to rally another trail party for some TLC on FL1 in Dec. We will hammer out a date this week. We hope you will spread the word and be able to join us next time. Going forward, the trail parties will be on a regular schedule with ample notice given.

Please everyone:

1. A huge Thank You to Friends of Forest Park and Portland Parks. Things have been strained between our communities in the past. Time to dump it. This is a new day and we are all communicating and working together for the greater good - that includes mountain bikers! Help us to foster and grow our relationships. Each one of us represents our mountain biking community.

2. Ride responsibly - Respect our park. Every time things get out of hand (rouge riders), boulders are placed in our progression forward. Please think before acting.

3. Please join PUMP. I am continually asked in meetings with different Powers That Be how many members we have. PUMP is the established entity with face time with decision makers. We don't make policy, but we help to influence it. Numbers count. We ride, but we also advocate.

4. Come participate in a trail party. Check out our Ride Calendar at www.pumpclub.org I will be posting the Forest Park events to Mtbr when they are posted to our ride calendar. We love your energy and enthusiasm!

OK ... 'Nuff soap-boxing. Here are some pics. There will be a detailed report of the Forest Park Ad-Hoc Committe report and the FL5 report with with gallery links in the PUMP Newletter accessable at our website in the next week.

- Shanti Ware

Thank you, everyone!
    Last edited by Mtb_Grrl; 11-04-2007 at 01:56 AM.

mtbr member
    With turn outs like this you'll need to build new trails to keep everybody busy.

highly visible
    Awesome, guys. I couldn't make it this morning due to family obligations, but I rode FL5 in your honor on the way home from work last night!
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

I got nothin'

A big thank you....

to Shanti for coordination and your effort in getting our (MTB'ers) foot in the door at Forest Park, and the City of Portland Parks Dept and Friends of Forest Park for the access, tools, and planning. It was a fun morning. I was great to see a number of people that I haven't seen in awhile also.

I hiked a portion of the Wildwood Trail today with the family. I was thinking how cool it would be to have a XC trail that paralleled Wildwood all the way through the park.

Thanks again.
    I ride at ludicrous speed