Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Flourescent Orange and Pink painted rocks at Horse Butte

Rode the big loop today (one of them anyway), and when I got around to the east side of the Horse Butte Loop (up near the houses and such), every single rock that is on trail or on the edges of the trail have been painted orange or pink.

Who would do this? Horse riders? People who hit their pedals on rocks? Someone who is planning to possibly remove these rocks? If they are removed that would be depressing. I love rocks.

I find it alarming that someone feels they have the right to go paint up all the rocks. Does anyone know who might have done this?

Flourescent Orange and Pink painted rocks at Horse Butte-rocks.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Somebody did something similar with blue and green paint on the section of public land on the south side of Stevens rd. That is clearly vandalism and I don't think horse folks would do that. Horses see the rocks just fine. maybe some bone head caught a pedal and thought that they needed to make it safe by marking ? definitely a bummer. If anyone saw the painter that would be good to get that info to the FS law enforcement folks.

mtbr member

Flourescent Orange and Pink painted rocks at Horse Butte

Is there a trail run planned there? I've seem that on Michigan trails, presumably to alert trail runners to the rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trout_smith View Post
    Is there a trail run planned there? I've seem that on Michigan trails, presumably to alert trail runners to the rocks.
    If it was a running event and the paint temporary i guess it makes a tiny bit of sense.

but sheesh. So overkill.

It's around 2-3 miles of painted rocks.

mtbr member
    While I'm complaining, whoever it is that adds all the crap on the side of the swamp wells trail just out of Horse Butte doesn't understand what it means to create appealing single track.

Yes, the trail is an old road, but there is an obvious single trail one side of the old road, and someone thinks they had to toss every branch or log they could find on the other side of the road. As if someone wants to ride in the deep sand and not the single track?

90% of riders would never even know they were on an old road, but they sure as crap do now!

Completely unnecessary and ugly. If you want to do something, dig some holes, and transfer some grass patches or bushes onto the other side of the road. A stump here or there is ok, but a log every 3 feet is ridiculous. Make it look natural.

Ok I feel better now.

mtbr member
    Ok. Word has it an 11 year old got thrown from a spooked horse. So a team of people went out and painted about 1000 rocks (my guess on count anyway)

As someone who has owned a horse I can say this is just ridiculous.

Going to find out who did this. Has I be someone who rides there often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Horses know where their feet are going and most often are "spooked" by their own nervousness in a given situation. Painting the rocks makes no sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When do they add the reflectors and "Curvy trail ahead" signs?

Sheesh. And mt. bikers get a bad rap? How did such an insanely stupid idea get past the sensibility test of more than one person thinking it is a good idea?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How do they know the bright orange won't spook a horse?

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Ok. Word has it an 11 year old got thrown from a spooked horse. So a team of people went out and painted about 1000 rocks (my guess on count anyway)

As someone who has owned a horse I can say this is just ridiculous.

Going to find out who did this. Has I be someone who rides there often.
    Can you please elaborate on said word? I'd like to hear more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I came across the orange paint several days ago and it made me sick. It happens that is one of my favorite parts of the loop trail, along the ridge. What I want to know is what to do about it. We turned over some of the rocks that we could move, but the vandalism is overwhelming. Maybe get a work party together with cans of dart gray spray paint?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Someone suggested night mt bike riding? Is that a possible reason for the paint?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This vandalism is horrible! How can anyone think this is ok? We live in the area and use the trail frequently, and this ridge is a particularly beautiful and scenic part of the ride. It is so disrespectful of the trails, the environment, and the ability of others to enjoy it. I agree with cultus that we need to try to fix this. It will take many years for the orange paint to wear off on it's own. A work party would be a good idea. Also, is there anything the forest service can or will do in a situation like this? Imagine the reaction if this had happened on the river trail or the Phil's area!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If this a response from horse riders you may find a feedback area on a local horse related forum. A dialogue with them may get some mutual understanding.

please, just ride
    Sketchbook, have you called the Forest Service yet? They take vandalism pretty seriously and will take appropriate measures. The perps should be cleaning this up, not volunteers!
    What a mess!
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

mtbr member
    @Seedy - I haven't called forest service yet no. Good idea. I did contact someone at the local news, and they want to run a story on it, but I think they want to know who did it first. I say, run the story and that will reveal who did this...

Mike P @cota contracting OET to see what they know.

@dirtfarmer That's all i know. I posted a photo on Instragram (same photo as above) and someone mentioned they talked to a hiker at the trailhead who saw a team out there painting the rocks. She relayed the story about the 11 year old to him, and he relayed it to me.

Will keep you posted.

joe

mtbr member
    Quick update. Ted Taylor @KTVZ has talked to the forest service, and FS is sending someone out to take a look at the rocks.

I am going to attempt to go shoot some video today for the news to use. Not a good day for me to get out but i will try!

joe

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    How do they know the bright orange won't spook a horse?
    I don't want to blame it on the horse folks (or even one equine person) until we get confirmation that was the case. Aren't horses color blind, anyway? Seems a horse person would know that and not do such a thing. Seems to not add up. Although, I can't think of any smart reason to do it, so no matter who (horse person, hiker or bike), it is insanely stupid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Horses are red-green color blind, I looked it up. Meaning that they don't see red or colors related to red, such as pink or orange. Horses don't need guidance in being able to see rocks anyway!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    I am going to attempt to go shoot some video today for the news to use. Not a good day for me to get out but i will try!

joe
    Hey Joe,
    Just promise me if you use a cell phone for video, PLEASE turn it sideways!
    We newsies hate "vertical video"... :P
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    Hey Joe,
    Just promise me if you use a cell phone for video, PLEASE turn it sideways!
    We newsies hate "vertical video"... :P
    Not to worry - I sort of do video/animation for a living.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    When do they add the reflectors and "Curvy trail ahead" signs?
    I might actually vote in favor of adding bumpers to a trail, like at a bowling alley!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sketchbook, can you let us know about new developments, and if there is going to be a news story, and when?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not knowing that trail, or what's legal, I just want to mention that a similar thing was happening to trails on the Oregon Coast. Motorcyclists/ATVers were spraying roots and obstacles to make them easier to see when moving along at fast speeds, which allowed them to go even faster, which allowed them to widen out the trails even more. Shared use trails, so what are you going to do.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Mountain View Post
    Sketchbook, can you let us know about new developments, and if there is going to be a news story, and when?
    I shot some photos+video late today. Planning on sending to news tomorrow morning. I will post a few shots here too. Noticed a few rocks had been moved while i was out. Apparently someone doesn't like the paint on the rocks, and turned a few over.

May me sad that rocks are starting to be re-organized due to the paint. Hoping nobody has another knee jerk reaction and does something to try and fix the problem before we can figure out who created the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Not knowing that trail, or what's legal, I just want to mention that a similar thing was happening to trails on the Oregon Coast. Motorcyclists/ATVers were spraying roots and obstacles to make them easier to see when moving along at fast speeds, which allowed them to go even faster, which allowed them to widen out the trails even more. Shared use trails, so what are you going to do.
    It's not legal to paint rocks on this trail or any trail unless you have some sort of permission from the forest service or BLM, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast