mtbr member
    May 2004

Fixie camping on Fall Creek

My wife dropped me off at Bedrock campground, I had my fixie loaded for two nights. I lashed everything on with old road tubes, hid my bike and set up camp above Slick Creek cave.........My new hobo stove worked great, it's made from recycled bike parts and four V-8 juice cans. I discovered cotton balls and vasiline make the best fire starter with my fire steel spark maker............I ate simple food and made a simple tarp shelter.....I just got back today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-010.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-040.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-049.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-071.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-072.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-073.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-075.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-079.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-091.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-094.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004

Fixed fun

Simple, Practicle and Durable is what SPD stands for in my book. My two speed fixie with dual disc's is very SPD. I used the 32x21 on the trail and 36x17 for the paved ride home.

I rode some of the trail on Saturday, it was sunny and warm. All the logs had been recently cut out. It was nice to have all that camping gear off my bike and no racks either.

My tarp shelter was nice but it condensated and dripped on my bag during the night. I slept warm anyway.

Gear changes take 30 seconds or so. I prefer horizontal dropouts for two speeding, the qr axle and chaintug make it very easy and practicle. If I have to cost down long grades I can pop the chain off and still have a rear brake unlike other fixies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-100.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-103.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-104.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-108.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-115.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-120.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-122.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-123.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-125.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-134.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004

Some of the stuff I brought

I use a platypus bag for boiling water to help keep me warm, I used the black Dromadary bag to haul water up the cliff and empty as an air pillow. I use an old camelback hose to siphon boiling water from the pot to the water bag and to blow air into my stove when it needs a little help.

I had a goose down bag that was really warm. I use a Ridgerest full length pad to sit on and sleep on. I helps protect the Termarest ultra light pad not get punctured when I'm sleeping on it. I tie a road tube around them so they stay together while I'm rolling around in my sleeping bag.

Cotton balls with petroleum jelly will light on the first try with a fire steel or lighter. It burns a long time with a big flame to help get your fire started.... I used to use pitch, it works good too. I'm a cotton ball man now.

Ski poles give you something to lash your sleeping bag too. It worked very well but you have to go light, there's not a lot of room for food and clothes. I tried not to have anything on me and let my bike carry everything. My ride out was a lot lighter without all the beer, chips and food.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-135.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-137.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-139.jpg  

Fixie camping on Fall Creek-fall-creek-campout-mar-2010-158.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks & sounds like a great time. There's only one thing I don't understand. You mention chips & beer separately from food. Man may not live by bread alone, but beer & chips will work. : )

Thanks for posting the pics & recap. The cotton ball thing is a good tip too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    WOW.!!!!! strong work!!! I dont see the stove packed on the bike how does it all fit?

mtbr member
    I always enjoy your pix & stories. Thanks! Looks like you had a fun time.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

Obviously Single
    Left-T! You rule, as usual. Even more amazing that you take time to document it so nicely. (Note to self: stop using that crappy iPhone as a camera and carry the *real* one.)

I am going to have to make it down that way and ride with you again this summer, since I suspect you will not be driving a car any time soon!

Really nice pics and cool trip! Were you out 2 nights?
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Most people don't know it but the ground next to large fallen trees is often softer than your bed at home. Making sleeping with a tarp better because you cannot set a tent up over a fallen tree. Nice to see your gear progressing, improvements to your stove, fire starter ect. few more years your going to have that camping stuff down.
    ken
    ps you've really got to work on the beer choices though.

Singletrack Addict
    I'm a cotton ball man now too.
    Thanks for packing out your recyclables.
    Hey, he's livin the High Life!
    Lef-T, you Rock!

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing Lef-t. Your adventures are inspiring.

Cheers,
    BFE

DOD Member
    Lef-t might be able to upgrade his beer choices soon if he so chooses. I see some of the micros are starting to roll out cans! WooHoo!

Well done!
    MaxSteel

mtbr member
    hows trail riding on a fixed gear? ive been thinking about trying it- but it seems tricky-
    Holy Cow----Why remove obstacles--when they can be ridden....

mtbr member
    May 2004

It nests together

Quote Originally Posted by mud brother
    WOW.!!!!! strong work!!! I dont see the stove packed on the bike how does it all fit?
    After you spend two minutes unbolting it, I wrap it inside my ridgerest pad and the little parts all fit in a small bag. If I used bolts and wing nuts it wouldn't take 8 minutes to put together. I like the using recycled bike parts in my stoves.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Two nights this trip

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Left-T! You rule, as usual. Even more amazing that you take time to document it so nicely. (Note to self: stop using that crappy iPhone as a camera and carry the *real* one.)

I am going to have to make it down that way and ride with you again this summer, since I suspect you will not be driving a car any time soon!

Really nice pics and cool trip! Were you out 2 nights?
    I am on a three week vacation, this was my second trip to this spot in a week. I try taking different sleeping systems each time and camp in different spots. I still prefere not to drive anywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Tarps are versitle and cheap like my beer.

Quote Originally Posted by tool addict
    Most people don't know it but the ground next to large fallen trees is often softer than your bed at home. Making sleeping with a tarp better because you cannot set a tent up over a fallen tree. Nice to see your gear progressing, improvements to your stove, fire starter ect. few more years your going to have that camping stuff down.
    ken
    ps you've really got to work on the beer choices though.
    I like not having to dry my tarp and it they can be a good way to save bulk. My coffee choices and food choices are just as bad as the beer I like. It fits the hobo theme, and my income level.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Thanks for sharing Lef-t. Your adventures are inspiring.

Cheers,
    BFE
    You are welcome, you're one of the reasons I took the time to post this adventure.

highly visible
    Awesome trip, once again.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    May 2004

I'm a crappy, cheap beer snob.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxSteel
    Lef-t might be able to upgrade his beer choices soon if he so chooses. I see some of the micros are starting to roll out cans! WooHoo!

Well done!
    I've had the best the Northwet offers but I can still enjoy a 30 pak of Millers from Winco. I didn't buy anything special for this trip. I just took what was on the shelf at home. I never have any micros but everyone else seems to prefere them. Someone has to drink the Millers.

mtbr member
    May 2004

It's fun and easy

Quote Originally Posted by seth-gehman
    hows trail riding on a fixed gear? ive been thinking about trying it- but it seems tricky-
    I've enjoyed it from the first time I tried fixed off road. It's not as difficult as you might think. Some people can do just about anything fixed. You can always learn something new. Surlys two speed cogs and disc/fixed hubs make it more fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I always enjoy your posts and also you have two of my favorites also, any kind of Johnsonville meat-sacks and Mission pork rinds Thanks for sharing Lef-t.

mtbr member
    I always love to read about your adventures, you inspire me to get out there and do something!