Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

First trip to Bend this weekend

Hi guys,

After hearing about it for the two years I've been living in the PNW, finally going to be making my first trip to Bend this weekend with some friends. Just wanted to check and see what the trail conditions were like with all the recent rain, and if there are any trails we should be avoiding due to snow or work parties? We'll be there Friday-Sunday for riding.

Any recommended routes for two all mountain riders? We're renting a cabin within riding distance of Phils trailhead I believe, if that makes any difference. Thanks for all the help!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Rocks Rock

Lev knows all

http://www.cogwild.com/ This company had great advise. Guides are avialable and well worth it. You can ride so much more of the stuff you are looking for with someone to show you around. They have some shuttle options also.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member
    Thanks, but we're already stretched as tight as possible on the money front to make this happen. Can't afford a guide service. I've got the Phils 2004 map and the local NFS map as well, so if worse comes to worse we'll just explore on our own.
    Tarekith.com

VP/ Terrain Designer
    You may want an updated map, as trails may have changed since 2004.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Give us a call anyway, we give out free route advice.

Cog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    You may want an updated map, as trails may have changed since 2004.
    Do you have a link to one by any chance?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You will have to buy one in town at any LBS for $10

mtbr member
    Not a problem, thanks.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Congrats on your timing! The trails are sweet right now. The rains have packed down the dust and the cool temps have kept the crowds down. You have missed the window for the highest elevation trails, but that still leaves more than you could ride in a 3 day weekend.

I personally haven't seen the snow level yet and it may change before the weekend arrives anyways. But its a safe bet that all the trails at and above Swampy Sno-Park are done for the season. Perhaps even lower, but the following will certainly be clear..

Here's some suggestions
    -Phils TH up Ben's to Lower Whoops down Phil's including The Canyon.
    -River Trail out and back from The Entrada Lodge, beautiful colors this time of year
    -COD and GS our most rocky and challenging loop.
    -Skills areas such as the Slalom Play Loop and The Lair
    Don't forget to check out Peterson Ridge outside of Sisters, OR on your way to or from Bend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    See, I told you that you would get good advice here. Really, the two maps I gave you will work. The new maps are not updated yet anyways but it's nice to buy one at Hutch's or whereever. The big change I guess is Marvin Gardens from the main TH to COD and Ol' Dirty Pirate off COD. You can get a a map of Tiddly Winks and Funner off the COTA web site. (Best ridden clockwise.)

Chris, Tarekith gets a lot longer rides in than those. Hoping for farewell or North Fork to still be open so he can connect that to Mrazek for the 40 miler?

mtbr member
    From what I've seen from town its pretty obvious those highest elevation connection are done. Anything that uses Metolius Windigo, Flagline, Farewell, North Fork are buried under snow. With so many great snow-free routes available why push it.

Sorry Tarekith, you said first timer, so I sent you toward some classic "first timer" type rides. The great thing about Bend riding is its all connected so you can add on or bailout whenever. You're rarely committed to a huge loop.

With Borneo vouching for ya...
    Ride from your "cabin" to Phils TH up Ben's which takes you to Whoops, ride a lap on Whoops, continue on Skyliner Trail to Skyliner Sno-Park, to Swede Shelter, SST which is Swede to Swampy Tie (takes off from the shelter just to the left of the Swede Ridge trail) takes you to Swampy Sno-Park. Take the double track down the south leg of the Tangent Loop (which is a ski trail). On the Tangent Loop there is a bit of trail that punches across 1/4 mile to Wanoga Sno Park. It will be on your right marked with orange flagging opposite the intersection for the Nordeen Loop (ski trail). This is new trail. If you go to far you'll end up at Meisner Sno-Park where you can still jump across the road and access Wanoga. From Wanoga I'd suggest just cruising down Funner to Storm King. You could take Tiddlywinks, but its holding snow for sure and has some construction on it. Anyways, at the Storm King intersection you have a big decision. Left takes you across Century Drive and down COD which is a frigging ass kicker after all that. Otherwise stay on Storm King down to the river and back to town. I did this loop last Sunday. I was gone about 4hrs, solo, no stops. I have no idea for mileage 30+ could be 40?

Another good loop to do another day is ride Mrazek past the canal. Turn left on 2nd double track (within 1/2 mile of canal) takes you to Skyliners Sno-Park (you'll need that map). From Skyliners you can ride back to town via a million options in the Phils network. Typically a 25 to 35 mile ride from town. This is more XC-ish depending on your route back down through Phil's area.

If you want to get your "huck" on. There's easily a day of play to be had just hitting our skills areas. Avoid The Lair on Saturday due to work party, Sunday would be better. You should also check The Slalom Play Loop right at Phil's TH and some people can make a day of just doing laps on Whoops.

I stick by my previous recommendations, though shorter still good options there.

mtbr member
    Great, huge thanks! We were planning on doing the Lair on Sunday morning, so that should be no problem. Thanks everyone!
    Tarekith.com

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I can't picture where there are "cabins" for rent near Phil's TH. Most of the houses near the TH are probably not vacation rentals (unless Drew Bledsoe is making room for you on his garage floor)!

Everything in Bend is "within riding distance" I suppose.

mtbr member
    It's a cottage off 14, sorry I used the wrong word. How do i get to the lair from say phils th?
    Tarekith.com

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    It's a cottage off 14, sorry I used the wrong word. How do i get to the lair from say phils th?
    14th isn't all that far way from Phil's. A mile or so maybe.

From Phil's TH you can ride on the main paved FS road (the one that gets you to the Phil's parking area) past the parking area about a 1/2 mile. At the end of the pavement there is an open gate and a white gravel road. Go through the gate and take the white road around the bend about 1/2 mile and The Lair will be on your right just before the white road enters into the trees.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What Nat forgot to mention, not that it's a big deal, is that the road is on the left. There are two dirt roads to the right prior to that, ignore those. So, first left... Stay on it for a while and it will dead end at the lair.

What Tarekith forgot to mention was he was down there for the BBFT last year but only did Day 1 Ochecos and Day 2 rec down so that was all he had going for him.

Yes, the shorter "tourist" routes are all still quality rides. Highly recommended the DRT/Storm King/COD loop.

How is the Gary Butte/Skull Hollow Loop now? Getting mucky already? I have never done Peterson/Horse as I heard it was pretty confusing/maps not up to date/ and chowed up by horses. Any truth to that before sending Tarekith there?

mtbr member
    Btw Bob, I'm not Daniel, I'm his neighbor. . Thanks for the directons guys.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gotcha, but Daniel is coming with you, right? (Seemed too coincidental after his request earlier this week for all the trail beta.)

mtbr member
    Yeah he's here too, just gearing up and getting ready to hit the trails. Thanks again guys!
    Tarekith.com

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    What Nat forgot to mention, not that it's a big deal, is that the road is on the left. There are two dirt roads to the right prior to that, ignore those. So, first left... Stay on it for a while and it will dead end at the lair.

What Tarekith forgot to mention was he was down there for the BBFT last year but only did Day 1 Ochecos and Day 2 rec down so that was all he had going for him.

Yes, the shorter "tourist" routes are all still quality rides. Highly recommended the DRT/Storm King/COD loop.

How is the Gary Butte/Skull Hollow Loop now? Getting mucky already? I have never done Peterson/Horse as I heard it was pretty confusing/maps not up to date/ and chowed up by horses. Any truth to that before sending Tarekith there?
    Thanks Bob. You know what else I forgot to mention? I forgot to mention to be alert on that dirt road to The Lair. Some knuckleheads have been driving up and down that road in their truck at highway speeds, not really slowing down around semi-blind curves.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    14th isn't all that far way from Phil's. A mile or so maybe.

From Phil's TH you can ride on the main paved FS road (the one that gets you to the Phil's parking area) past the parking area about a 1/2 mile. At the end of the pavement there is an open gate and a white gravel road. Go through the gate and take the white road around the bend about 1/2 mile and The Lair will be on your right just before the white road enters into the trees.
    Or, better yet, take the Marvin's Garden Trail to the Lair. At the main Phil's TH parking area, right near the maps, take the trail right there, next to the posted sign with the maps. (Of the several trails at Phil's TH, it's the furthest one to your left). Just follow it completely until you reach the jumps. It will be at a ridge view, out of the trees, with a nice view looking east. You will have a hard time missing it.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice. Friday we went up Dan's to Upper and Lower Whoops, and did a couple laps there. Great trail, lots of fun. Best time I've had outside of Whistler. Thought a couple of the jumps seemed a tad short and steep (take off and landing), but otherwise tons of flow and speed. By then we were prety tired and trying to save energy for the next day, so we headed back down Dan's to the TH, hit the jumps near the TH, then the 3 mile ride to the cottage.

Saturday we went up Phil's to the heli-pad, then down Storm King to COD. I loved Storm King, really fast trail in beautiful surroundings. COD we tok until we got to the Old Dirty Pirate trail, which we decided to check out. Was a little bummed the step up at the beginning wasn't done when we were there, that looks like a lot of fun! Nice hip jump too. Anyway, headed back on COD aiming for Marvin Gardins or the Lair, but somehow ended up along Hwy 46 riding some crazy technical rock trail that led us to a golf course. All the previously well done trail markers indicating the way back to Phil's TH just stopped towards the end of COD, so it took us some time to find our way back.

Other than that slight mishap, it was an excellent weekend of riding. We had hoped to check out the Lair on Sunday, but just didn't have it in our legs, or the time before we needed to head back to Seattle.

I'll say one thing, you guys in OR really know how to build some killer trails!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

odp feature

Just an FYI the feature at the begining of ODP was finished this spring, however the Forest Service didn't like it, and has since been in a decommissioned state until they make a final ruling on it. Pitty you missed the Lair as we just got done reworking all the lines.Check out the videos Ryler at COFREERIDERs made of some of the locals throwing down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7UEnU2tx8 ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQXyFTdQ41g

Cheers
    joe

mtbr member
    Come on back now, ya' hear?

mtbr member
    Opps.
    Last edited by BIGfatED; 11-03-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast