mtbr member

First trip to bend - with the fam

Hey, the wife and I are thinking about heading to bend this weekend for for the first time. We'll be camping with our 6 month old and I wanted to get some recommendations on where to camp and ride. We'll be taking turns watching our daughter at the trailhead, so are looking for something short (no more than 12 miles). From the reviews and other posts I was thinking Phil's and/or Smith Rocks. We've got another bend trip planned for the end of june, so this will be a primer. We'll prob ride one day and (gasp!) hike the next, so if there's a recommended day hike (<10 miles) that would be cool as well.

Any ideas on campsites that take reservations? It looks like the state parks are first come first serve. Do they usually fill up?

Really looking forward to it. I've been reading/hearing about bend for years!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Hey, the wife and I are thinking about heading to bend this weekend for for the first time. We'll be camping with our 6 month old and I wanted to get some recommendations on where to camp and ride. We'll be taking turns watching our daughter at the trailhead, so are looking for something short (no more than 12 miles). From the reviews and other posts I was thinking Phil's and/or Smith Rocks. We've got another bend trip planned for the end of june, so this will be a primer. We'll prob ride one day and (gasp!) hike the next, so if there's a recommended day hike (<10 miles) that would be cool as well.

Any ideas on campsites that take reservations? It looks like the state parks are first come first serve. Do they usually fill up?

Tumalo State Park has the only developed campground that I know of, and it's actually not anywhere near the trails. It'd be about a 15 minute drive to Phils trailhead. It's a pretty campground and I see there are a few spaces left.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/co.../newindex.html

Right there below Phil's TH is a dirt road that has some primitive camping that I've seen people use.

I'd hike up/back North Fork trail near Tumalo Falls found at the end of Skyliner Road, or on the Deschutes River Trail.

mtbr member

thanks

Thanks, Nat! That link is exactly what I was looking for.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Thanks, Nat! That link is exactly what I was looking for.
    BTW, I'll be there on Sat. night with my family and another family. No biking is on my agenda though.
    Last edited by Nat; 06-06-2006 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool. I'll stop by if we get down there. (Still need to confirm with the wife).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    BTW, I'll be there on Sat. night with my family and another family. Lot 45. No biking is on my agenda though.
    Nat, let me know how it works out?? If all's ok, I've got something in mind for us later in the summer.

mtbr member

My wife and I are planning on riding this weekend in case you'd like to join up and get a bit of a tour?

mtbr member
    That sounds like fun. Do you guys have kids? We have 6-month old and will probably be a little slow out of the gate...I hate to hold you up. My wife and I will have to take turns watching our daughter and ride solo.

I'm still working on talking the wife into it. She's a little leary of the nighttime temps and it being our first time camping with the kiddo. But, its father's day so I have the trump card.

mtbr member
    That sounds like fun. Do you guys have kids? We have 6-month old and will probably be a little slow out of the gate...I hate to hold you up. My wife and I will have to take turns watching our daughter and ride solo.

I'm still working on talking the wife into it. She's a little leary of the nighttime temps and it being our first time camping with the kiddo. But, its father's day so I have the trump card.
    No kids. We've got all day, so whenever and at whatever speed is fine by me. Gotta love having the trump card, let us know.

Todd

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer, man. That is way too cool. Are you guys camping at Tumalo?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    Nat, let me know how it works out?? If all's ok, I've got something in mind for us later in the summer.
    Yep, this is part of camping-training for the kits. S'mores, weinies, marsh-a-mallows, snipe hunting, melting beer bottles in the firepit...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offer, man. That is way too cool. Are you guys camping at Tumalo?
    No camping, trails are right out our front door

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I know what you mean about low temps. We have a 4 year-old and a 22 month-old for whom this will be the first campout. This Sat. night is supposed to have a low of only 44F, so I think they'll handle it okay. That Tumalo campground has a river running through it though, so I hope it doesn't bring the temperature down in that valley. We chose a campground very close to home in case all hell breaks loose and I decide to go home and let the wife and kids fend for themselves.

I don't think Tumalo Campground is tberg and Mrs. tberg's speed. I picture them bivvying up on top of Broken Top more than I picture them standing in line for the central bathroom and soda machine behind all the screaming yard apes.

mtbr member
    Too funny. Yeah, I should prob camp close to home for the first time as well....but I've been dieing to check out bend ever since we moved here. I figure worst case scenario we pile in the jeep and crank the heat.

btw - wife just trumped my ace. Father's day is not until the 18th. Still, I think our odds are looking good.

mtbr member

Good job! Compromise

After much discussion, we're headed to bend this weekend! However, we're a little concerned about the temps so will stay in a hotel - prob the econo-lodge or best western as they allow dawgs. Nat, post back after the weekend and let us know how it went with your kiddo's. I'm sure they'll dig the campfire and smores. We plan on doing some exploring this summer and I'd love to get my daughter camping early.

Todd - would love to hook up with you and your wife for a ride or at least some suggestions. I'll pm you with my contact info. We're headed down early sat morning.

Derek

Nat
    Solo contendre
    After much discussion, we're headed to bend this weekend! However, we're a little concerned about the temps so will stay in a hotel - prob the econo-lodge or best western as they allow dawgs. Nat, post back after the weekend and let us know how it went with your kiddo's. I'm sure they'll dig the campfire and smores. We plan on doing some exploring this summer and I'd love to get my daughter camping early.

Todd - would love to hook up with you and your wife for a ride or at least some suggestions. I'll pm you with my contact info. We're headed down early sat morning.

Derek
    Welp, here I am hacking from home on Sunday morning at 3am. Our 23 month-old became unhappy at 2:30am and decided she would let the entire campground know about it. So here I am, back home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Welp, here I am hacking from home on Sunday morning at 3am. Our 23 month-old became unhappy at 2:30am and decided she would let the entire campground know about it. So here I am, back home.
    Man, I think I heard her from my bivey on top of Broken Top.

Sorry it didn't work out this time, at least you made it through most of the night. You were probably needing some fried chicken about that time anyways!!!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    Man, I think I heard her from my bivey on top of Broken Top.

Sorry it didn't work out this time, at least you made it through most of the night. You were probably needing some fried chicken about that time anyways!!!
    Fried chicken! The upside to the whole thing was that I got to pick up Dutch Bros. on the way back to the campground this morning.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that. The ironic thing is our 6 month old normally sleeps through the night, but woke up screaming around 2:30 am also! Must have been something in the air. We were both happy to have a hotel instead of our original plan.

Tberg - thanks for the ride on Saturday. It was great meeting you and Mrs. Tberg. Shelvin park was a perfect place to hang out while the other one rode. Kristen loved Marazek. We hit Phil's today and had a blast. Still can't believe all the trails you have to choose from.

mtbr member
    Tberg - thanks for the ride on Saturday. It was great meeting you and Mrs. Tberg. Shelvin park was a perfect place to hang out while the other one rode. Kristen loved Marazek. We hit Phil's today and had a blast. Still can't believe all the trails you have to choose from.
    It was our pleasure riding with you, glad you both liked the trails. Be sure to let us know next time you're in town, we can show you some of the higher elevation stuff.

mtbr member
    Definitely! Post some pics of your trip when you get back. Would love to check them out.

And, thanks again! We had a great time.