Singletrack Addict

First time video

Indulge me: for a recent mountain biking road trip to southern Arizona I rigged my cheap Sony camera with video capability to my helmet with a bunch of zip ties. Considering the equipment, it turned out pretty good. Anyway, here's my first attempt at video shooting and editing. The trail is called Elephant Head in the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson:

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Nice work. Potty mouths.

When I lived in Tucson I always thought of E-Head as slow, hot death. What else did you ride while there?

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Nice work. Potty mouths.

When I lived in Tucson I always thought of E-Head as slow, hot death. What else did you ride while there?
    One day we drove further south and rode a loop on Cobre Ridge near the border. We also rode a bunch of stuff around Kentucky Camp on the other side of the Santa Ritas. Other than that we were down there for the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo and missed a day of riding hunkered down during the rain and snow on Friday before the race.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    One day we drove further south and rode a loop on Cobre Ridge near the border. We also rode a bunch of stuff around Kentucky Camp on the other side of the Santa Ritas. Other than that we were down there for the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo and missed a day of riding hunkered down during the rain and snow on Friday before the race.
    I never rode on Cobre Ridge (didn't even know about it) but I love the Kentucky Camp area. That's one trail I'd like to ride again.

meatier showers
    Mighty fine camera work.

& riding, too.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

I got nothin'

Wink

The video makes me miss the desert, especially when it's wet and grey out here. I grew up down there but don't miss the summers. I am hoping to get down that way this spring also. Im trying to work out a scheme to visit family while disguising the biking aspect with the wife.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I miss it too, I learned to mountain bike down in Tucson. First time I road Elephant head I was hating life, sooo hot...Ahh Kentucky Camp, I'd kill for that right now

Nat
    Solo contendre
    The last time I rode E-Head I got spooked by a rattler, ran out of water, then got a flat 3 miles from the car. Of course it was around 100F, so I thought, "This is the big one!"

I got nothin'
    I use to get up at 4am in the summer and ride until about 10am at the latest, you know when it hit about 95. Then I would go home, shower, eat, and go back to bed for a couple of hours.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    I use to get up at 4am in the summer and ride until about 10am at the latest, you know when it hit about 95. Then I would go home, shower, eat, and go back to bed for a couple of hours.
    The funny thing that at 5am the trailheads were packed with cars, but by 7am they were nearly empty.

Singletrack Addict

Thanks for the Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    The funny thing that at 5am the trailheads were packed with cars, but by 7am they were nearly empty.
    Though it was mild during our visit, the one day we felt heat-oppressed was that day on Elephant Head. We were camping and on "vacation time" so we were hitting the trail closer to noon than day-break.

I've only been down to the Tucson area 3 times, each in February. This was the first time I got to see more than The Old Pueblo area.
    I definitely have a firm idea of where I want to spend more time on the next trip. The east side of the Santa Ritas was pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Try Milagrosa next time your down that way.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by amtbr
    Try Milagrosa next time your down that way.
    That was on the docket for Friday, but then the weather moved in.

mtbr member
    Ahhhhhh. Milagrosa one of my favorites. We also road some stuff north of town, I think it was called the 50 year or 100 year network, close in it was smooth and fast, then when we got further out it got more technical.

So far Tucson is my 2nd favorite place to ride, a close 2nd to Oakridge.

The video is pretty cool as well.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    50 year trail...yeah theres some pretty good stuff out there. It was my first exposure to 'open pasture' cattle. Nothing like running into a mammoth beast just sitting next to the trail.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Give St George area a go

Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Ahhhhhh. Milagrosa one of my favorites. We also road some stuff north of town, I think it was called the 50 year or 100 year network, close in it was smooth and fast, then when we got further out it got more technical.

So far Tucson is my 2nd favorite place to ride, a close 2nd to Oakridge.

The video is pretty cool as well.
    It BLOWS Oakridge away! No comparison! The video is very cool....the warm sun looks nice.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    It BLOWS Oakridge away! No comparison! The video is very cool....the warm sun looks nice.

Jaybo
    That's a tough call, both are good/exceptional!

I'll take the challenging, diverse, accessible, year-round riding out of St. George in SW Utah from Nov-April and the smooth, lush, primo, never-ending ST descents of the trails out of Oakridge/Willamette NF from May to Oct if I could have my way. That would make me eternally happy, if I only could talk the wife into it and/or was independently wealthy, which is slim to none. So, I will to have to accept my brief visitiations to these places and count my blessings to be able to ride at those places every once in a while instead.

JG
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yaw

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    That's a tough call, both are good/exceptional!

I'll take the challenging, diverse, accessible, year-round riding out of St. George in SW Utah from Nov-April and the smooth, lush, primo, never-ending ST descents of the trails out of Oakridge/Willamette NF from May to Oct if I could have my way. That would make me eternally happy, if I only could talk the wife into it and/or was independently wealthy, which is slim to none. So, I will to have to accept my brief visitiations to these places and count my blessings to be able to ride at those places every once in a while instead.

JG
    I agree that switching between the two would be awesome! I just love the Goose and Hurricane/Jem. AWESOME! If it was 80 in both places, I would rather ride Utah any day of the week. I would just travel into the high lands in the summer in Utah.

Jaybo

Singletrack Addict
    We had our eyes on Moab up to the week before we left. Weather was too ify for Moab, so we headed south. I was pushing for St George/Gooseberry, but was overruled in favor of Moab.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MID-WINTER ESCAPE TO THE SONORAN DESERT.

Edited because of tequila.
    Last edited by Snake Muesl; 02-27-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Singletrack Addict
    FYI, this is what happened to Rich's tube:

mtbr member
    Nice stuff C. I like the FZ soundtrack too.

Tim