mtbr member
    Apr 2006

First time in Bend

I will spending about 4 or 5 days starting monday the 12th. Can anyone give some insite into snow free trails for a couple of 50 year old dudes? I have a trail guide but there are just to many to choose from. We might be old but we still like sweet single track. Thanks for any ideas. Also camping spots. Prefrerably along a river.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You can read my report on "Gray Butte, go get it" posted here. It has the routes we did the days previous.
    We just got back from 4 days of riding down there and just about hit all the local stuff w/o snow. As for the camp spot by a river thing. Good luck. None that I know of. But, camping right in the Phil's trail system means 100 miles of singletrack right out your back door.
    And, it's ony a few miles into the Victorian for breakfast in the morning!

All the ups in Phil's are as good going down. So, you can't lose either way.
    I prefer to do the river trail up and back via Storm King/COD though.
    Skyliner's is snow free and logged out. Still too much snow on upper Mrazek to get to Farewell though. Or, a bit of a snow hike. But, it's melting fast! We went up 4601 and hit Mrazek from there.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kona
    I will spending about 4 or 5 days starting monday the 12th. Can anyone give some insite into snow free trails for a couple of 50 year old dudes? I have a trail guide but there are just to many to choose from. We might be old but we still like sweet single track. Thanks for any ideas. Also camping spots. Prefrerably along a river.
    Pretty much all of Phil's triangle and the Deschutes River Trail (DRT) are free of snow. It's hit/miss with any of the mid-elevation stuff, and the high elevation stuff is still skiable.

I've seen people camp along the DRT at Slough Camp, but it's a ways away (4-5 miles) from the main trail network down dirt roads. As you drive uphill on Century Dr., take a left on Conklin Rd. just past Inn of the 7th Mountain. Conklin becomes FS 41 then becomes dirt. It's somewhere down there. I've never driven to it but on the map there are several routes so it may be a bit confusing.

You can also camp along the Tumalo Creek at Tumalo State Park. It's a nice developed campsite but it's maybe a 15 minute drive to Phil's TH.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/co.../newindex.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Borneo. KK

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We will have to vehicals if there any good shuttle rides.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No worries on just "coasting" down there.
    It's all ridable up.
    Leave the cars at the camp site and enjoy.