Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tribe member

First ride in Bend!

I just moved to the area last week and after getting the house setup (for the most part), I was able to sneak out yesterday morning for my first ride here in Bend. It was hard waiting so long for that first ride. But it was a good one. I headed over to Phil's and rode up Phil's and past the helipad, Whoops, and down to Ben's. I can't wait to get some confidence to make Whoops a more fun ride and hit some of those jumps! Coming from the Denver area, I'm not used to trail features like that. Thinking I need a more cushy bike for that and not my Yeti ASRc! Anyways, I'm hoping to get out this weekend and do another loop over that way (possibly this route Mrazek, Farewell, Skyliner, Whoops, Ben's Loop Mountain Bike Ride, Bend, OR) or ride along the river down to Sunriver and back.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Sweet! Welcome to Bend! Don't be in a hurry to go long travel (although my steed is a 140mm full susser). Ride a lot of epic loops before you go out and buy something. If you hit Funner & Tiddly Winks, you'll definitely end up with an enduro style bike, but for the trails you mentioned your ASRc is good. You really NEED to ride up North Fork to Happy Valley in the next week. The wild flowers up there should be gorgeous! I recommend Ben's/Skyliner/Tumalo/North Fork/Mrazek as a loop.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Welcome to town! You're in for a treat.

Tribe member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    You really NEED to ride up North Fork to Happy Valley in the next week. The wild flowers up there should be gorgeous! I recommend Ben's/Skyliner/Tumalo/North Fork/Mrazek as a loop.
    I'll try and give that a shot! Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I love my ASRc, but even back home I had been thinking of upgrading to something else. I'm sure I'll ride this for another few months unless I can find a sweet deal on a different frame. Then I'll transfer over parts and sell my frame.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Welcome to Bend!

Avoid that river trail on weekends to avoid conflict with hikers, but put it high on your list to see.

COTA member
    I find for everything below Shooting Star a hard tail single speed (32Tx18T) w/100mm up front is the ticket. FS is just not needed in the Phil's trail complex. FS is nice for the upper elevation trails (South/North Fork, Farewell, Flagline, Swede Ridge, Metolius-Windago), but not a must have. I have a FS, but tend to pick my HT bikes more often.

Tribe member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I find for everything below Shooting Star a hard tail single speed (32Tx18T) w/100mm up front is the ticket. FS is just not needed in the Phil's trail complex. FS is nice for the upper elevation trails (South/North Fork, Farewell, Flagline, Swede Ridge, Metolius-Windago), but not a must have. I have a FS, but tend to pick my HT bikes more often.
    I was thinking that while I was riding there. I've got a hardtail frame that I have setup with as a ghetto singlespeed (old derailleur for chain tensioner). I just need to get a second set of pedals to put on there and then it would be ready for some action.

I can't wait to explore all the trails though. I'm also really looking forward to riding the NUT and MRT.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Clearly the OP needs another bike, not a different bike.

For me, even with the buffed trails we have, my one quiver bike is a trail bike (5" travel full squish, enduro style...). But then again, I'm fairly long of tooth and soft in the middle. But I'd love to have a nice hardtail too.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

Tribe member
    Clearly the OP needs another bike, not a different bike.
    Amen brother! I need a new hardtail (29" of some sort), a dedicated singlespeed, a new FS with more squish, and a cyclocross bike.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    I was thinking that while I was riding there. I've got a hardtail frame that I have setup with as a ghetto singlespeed (old derailleur for chain tensioner). I just need to get a second set of pedals to put on there and then it would be ready for some action.

I can't wait to explore all the trails though. I'm also really looking forward to riding the NUT and MRT.
    Don't forget Oakridge

Get to dah choppah
    An ASRc should be an excellent all-round bike for the area. In many cases, the riding can be described as going as fast as possible between technical features or sections. If you have a long-travel squish bike you'll get dropped like a rock. If you go too light, you can get eaten by the rocks.

Watch what other people are using. Typically high-end 29'er HT's for the racer types and 100mm-120mm FS (mostly 29'ers) for the rest of us.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    Avoid that river trail on weekends to avoid conflict with hikers, but put it high on your list to see.
    +1

Way too crowded for a decent ride.

Afric Pepperbird
    Welcome! Now that you've discovered our little slice of Heaven, you'll have to keep quiet - mum's the word - , or we'll have to kill you! (JUST KIDDING!)

Any Yeti is fine for Bend and it's environs.

Tribe member

First ride in Bend!

Thanks all! Sounds like I've got the right bike for the job around here.

I'll avoid the river trail this weekend and plan to ride it one weekday morning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You really NEED to ride up North Fork to Happy Valley in the next week. The wild flowers up there should be gorgeous!
    Where do you usually start?

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Tumalo Falls or Skyliners make nice loops.

Map -

http://www.ormtb.com/Central_Oregon/...r_Dutchman.pdf
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have an older Yeti ASR and a newer ASR5c. I have the ASR from my racing days and got the ASR5c for a little more plushness and fun. Both are great bikes for all the local trails. Welcome to Bend and hopefully you will keep your Yeti and add a new one to expand the tribe around here.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

Tribe member

First ride in Bend!

Thanks Captain! I had an aluminum ASR an loved it. Had the chance last year to join a little team/club that was for repoing the ASRc as a do all kinda bike. Got a heck of a deal on it. Have been curious about switching to a ASR5c for a small weight gain but more squish. Can't find the perfect deal on it though. Love the Yeti brand and the people that work there.

FKA Malibu412
    You moved to Bend before riding in Bend?? Wow! Enjoy.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    give me a text. I would be happy to ride with you. 541.5nine1. 639six

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    Anyways, I'm hoping to get out this weekend and do another loop over that way (possibly this route Mrazek, Farewell, Skyliner, Whoops, Ben's Loop Mountain Bike Ride, Bend, OR) or ride along the river down to Sunriver and back.
    Nice! Welcome to bend. And way to get out there!

This ride you listed above is great. I added that ride to the MTB project so glad it's being utilized!

In in Switzerland till late Tomorrow but would live to show you around more.

Cheers!

Tribe member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Nice! Welcome to bend. And way to get out there!

This ride you listed above is great. I added that ride to the MTB project so glad it's being utilized!

In in Switzerland till late Tomorrow but would live to show you around more.

Cheers!
    That sounds great. Shoot me a message sometime when you're back. I tried the route, but got a bit turned around and didn't get to do it all. Still had a great time though exploring.

mtbr member
    Ha. Yeah the start where you go from Phil's over to Mrazek is a bit of a challenge. It's not well marked. Will hit you up once I settle down. Been missing the Bend trails.

Switzerland has some nice stuff but its nowhere near as accessible as bend.

Lucky us

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamRider View Post
    Skyliner snow park. Then connect via Tumalo ridge trail.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

Tribe member
    Right! I made it over to the otherside of Skyliners and found that little trail cutoff at the gravel road intersection. I eventually found myself on Mrazek, but never made it over to the Farewell trail section.

I think I just need to hit up a shop and get some good trail maps to carry around for the summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast