mtbr member
    Jun 2011

First attempts at video editing...DRT & Alpine

Finally figured out how to edit some of our GoPro footage from the past couple months. Here are my first two attempts and suggestions are always welcome!!

Deschutes River Trail (DRT) - Bend Oregon - YouTube

Alpine Trail - Oakridge Oregon - YouTube

(thanks...or sorry to darkslide18 as I used the same soundtrack from one of your vid's as it fits perfect to the flow of riding)

mtbr member
    Why does everyone point their camera at the ground? I stopped watching after about 30 seconds of jiggly handlebar footage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Why does everyone point their camera at the ground? I stopped watching after about 30 seconds of jiggly handlebar footage.
    Thanks for the comment. My son and I are completely new to the process and trying to figure out what works best. I prefer the chest mount as it gives more of the riders perspective over just the trail view from the helmet or handlebar mounts. I like the wide angle mode, but he preferred this setup better. We definitely need to take more time on the rides to swap out angles, camera modes, and views to make more interesting footage in the end.

But hey, we are having some fun so that's all that matters...

Making fat cool since '71
    Don't mind Brand1, he's a grumpy bassturd from time to time. Do your thing. I rarely even break out a camera so...shoot away for us lazy folks!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No worries, can't please everyone!!

I am just having a great time documenting our recent rides and screwing around with the editing software.

Obviously Single
    Interesting. Nicely done, for a beginner, IMHO.

What editing software/platform did you use?

Some suggestions: you need to mix in other types of shots and/or stills. The video could use some titles.

Also, if you use the chest mount of the GoPro, I find it gets a better angle if I turn the whole thing upside down. That way, it can aim a little higher and see the horizon (thus avoiding getting everybody that watches so sick).

Lastly, try some shots when you are not in back. It'd be nice to see the trail w/o the bike in the way some of the time.

Again, nice! Keep it up!
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the great advice LeeMan, much appreciated.

I used VideoPad for the editing. Pretty simple to use for a non-techy guy like me..lol. Still a bunch of cool features that I have not used yet and for a $70 software package, it seems to work pretty well.

Now that I have done my first videos, I can definitely see where we need more variations of shots, angles, captions, etc...

Here is another that I loaded up to Youtube. Similar, but some with a few different angles and shots. Flagline, Whoops, and a little Phils trail.

Bend Oregon 2011 - YouTube

Obviously Single
    Yes, I see there are different types of shots mixed in. Very nice, but not quite there, cinematically, IMHO.

Suggestion: buy or borrow your favorite mountain bike video, but watch the cinematography closely. For a given sequence (like riding down some trail), you need to intermix what *appears* to be the same sequence, but from different angels. For example, you see it from the rider's view, then flash to a view from the side of the trail showing the rider, then back to the rider's view, etc.

Don't get me wrong -- you don't have to do any of those things. But I detect a spark of artist in you. I'm kind of a fan of cinamatography, so I try to observe it all the time. When my wife is enjoying some movie I'll say "can you image where the camera had to be for this shot?". I suspect she's not amused.

Keep up the good (fun) work!
    The Lee-Man

Obviously Single

A good example ...

Hey, I figured out where I saw the last really-nicely-done MTB video, and it was for Mountain Bike Oregon.

Check this out:
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Interesting you posted the MBO video, I just watched it yesterday.

I totally understand what you are suggesting, now we just need to get out and make it happen. Our Alpine video has a little near the end of me riding a section with numerous angles (until I got tired of climbing the hill for the 4th time...lol).

Thanks again for all the detailed comments!!