Thread: Firelane 7 / 7A

mudnthebloodnthebeer

Firelane 7 / 7A

Here's an image of an area in Forest Park that I think is ripe for designated access for mountain biking.

The image is a screen shot taken from this excellent map. It's a huge .pdf file (around 30mb). It takes a long time to render when it's resized but shows Forest Park and its environs in minute detail.

I've sent a short email to the Portland Parks & Recreation Department indicating that there is interest among local mountain bikers in doing some trail restoration work in the FL 7 complex. Where it goes from there is unclear. I'll add the correspondence to this thread as it progresses. I'm guessing that volunteer labor will be the easy part. In a perfect world we'd have donated materials and access to get them on site. In the world we live in it's quite possible that I'll be thanked for my interest and invited to help pick up trash on the lower MacLeay trail. Mind you, I'm working from the perspective that if there was a pile of rocks and timbers at the foot of FL 7 a bit of ingenuity and willingness to work would be all that would be required to make ruts disappear and waterbars materialize. I'm pretty sure that all the surveying that would be required could be done with a laser level. I'm certain that there are folks out there with expertise far beyond that of a backyard landscaper who could set me straight on that.

What I envision isn't so much a large group of people accomplishing the work in a short time frame with the logistical difficulties that entails as it is an ongoing project where the plans and progress are tracked online and the materials and knowledge are made available for folks to come out and work when schedules permit.
    Last edited by quaffimodo; 11-29-2008 at 12:37 PM.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC