Thread: Firelane 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Firelane 5

Does anyone know the history of why this is the only (however short) section of single track allowed to be ridden on in FP?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The short answer is the Forest Park Natural Resource Management Plan, which was adopted in 1995 and designed only certain areas open for bikes. The FL 5 connection was included in the plan as a future project and even then it took several years to get permitted and built. That said, the Portland Parks Bureau has formed a committee with the charge of looking at opportunities to increase singletrack riding opportunities in Forest Park. I am a member of that committee. For more info, go the Portland Parks website, or the NorthWest Trail Alliance website (www.nw-trail.org) for updates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ahhh. That makes sense, I guess. Thanks for the response. I live in Albany and make it up to Portland quite a few times a year. I would go up a lot more if there were decent trails in FP for riding. Good luck.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I ride off of Germantown

Quote Originally Posted by sholmboe
    Ahhh. That makes sense, I guess. Thanks for the response. I live in Albany and make it up to Portland quite a few times a year. I would go up a lot more if there were decent trails in FP for riding. Good luck.
    Go up FR 10 down, up BPA road, down 12, and back up 10. A good little ride that will kick your butt and leave you crying for moma. I don't know, I have ridden FR 5 and all around it is pretty decent but nothing like the wild side of FP on the North side of Germantown. Best ride in FP is night riding on Trail W.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 12-31-2009 at 09:33 PM.