Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Feels like spring

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Reviver 
#1 ·
Great ride on Saturday on some Oakridge's famous singletrack.

Enjoy the pictures.

Checking out the new Fork

Crossing a log

Coming down the trail

Over the tree

Up the rock ledge

Wouldn't be a ride without a little snow

Rocking the SS Vertigo CX Bike, SS Vulture and old school carbon Fisher.

We were having a pretty good ride, at least for the first mile or so of the trail. We had climbed over a few trees, ridden over a fair amount of debris, then we came around a corner and it was like entering another deminsion. It was like a tornado had touched down and followed the trail for a few miles, make that almost the entire section of trail we were on. Here are some pictures of what we had a to crawl over, we started to count and then lost track after 20 or so of these tangles. The lower 5 miles of the trail weren't to bad, probably worth doing, but I would turn back at Butchner Knife unless you want to spend the day carrying your bike for the next 5 miles.

The trail

Some trees came down this year

and they were not small

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm thinking maybe working on it this coming Saturday, though I need to finalize my plans first. May head up that way and camp Fri afternoon, do a night ride, then work Saturday and ride Sunday. We figure 3 saws most of the day may get through one section of trail... If we could get a bunch of people it wouldn't take long and we would have a good 25-30 mile out & back singletrack section ready to ride.

#5 ·
General Coonskins said:
I'm thinking maybe working on it this coming Saturday, though I need to finalize my plans first. May head up that way and camp Fri afternoon, do a night ride, then work Saturday and ride Sunday. We figure 3 saws most of the day may get through one section of trail... If we could get a bunch of people it wouldn't take long and we would have a good 25-30 mile out & back singletrack section ready to ride.
I can swamp for the sawyers, as long as I can keep this dadburned :madmax: ankle stabilized. I guess that means going easy.

Flaps

#7 ·
I've seen some bad stuff before like this, it's the worse I've seen this trail. Back in 1996 we had to move the CCP100 to the course on Alpine because Tire Mountian had over 200 trees down on a 4 1/2 mile section of trail, it took 3 years for that trail to open back up. Usually it's a certain elevation or trail that seems to get hit really hard. Last year Heckletooth got hit pretty bad, but most everything else was pretty normal. Most of the time we will find we have to clear pretty much every trail to some extent, hopefully they are not all as bad as MF was.

#8 ·
Golly. Looks like we're all going to have to get frame-mount chainsaws in order to ride much this year.

Either that or the Disciples of Dirt is going to have to do some good trailwork planning and local riders are going to have to pitch in plenty of time and elbow grease in order to be most effective at clearing our beloved singletrack.

Or both. Anybody know where a feller can get a frame-mount chainsaw?

--Sparty

#10 ·
BIGfatED said:
My mom was telling me about how badly the coast range got hit with HUGE wind storms this year.
True dat, but we rode at the Horse Trails out of Florence last week and didn't find a single downed tree in the whole network. Great riding -- see Sasquatch's photo thread. Someone's doing some serious maintenance there.

As for Oakridge (Westfir), North Fork from the covered bridge to road 1910 and back, plus the 5828/Alpine loop is a great ride right now, with only 3 easily get-overable trees on the whole ride.

Albee

p.s. Just picked up a 2007 Specialized Allez road bike at a fundraiser auction last night! With all the trees down, looks like a good spring to get on the road bike, eh? (yes, and do trail work, too:thumbsup: )

#11 ·
Sparticus said:
Golly. Looks like we're all going to have to get frame-mount chainsaws in order to ride much this year.

Either that or the Disciples of Dirt is going to have to do some good trailwork planning and local riders are going to have to pitch in plenty of time and elbow grease in order to be most effective at clearing our beloved singletrack.

Or both. Anybody know where a feller can get a frame-mount chainsaw?

--Sparty
A.J. built/mounted my chain saw rack. I used an old aluminum rack I had around the house. When my current system brakes I will upgrade to a cro-moly rack. A.J. also added a disc brake mount at the same time, to my cro-moly frame. I can carry an axe on one side of the mount and the chain saw bar on the opposite side. I carry the saw gas and oil in two H2O bottles in the frame. I ride on platform pedals with my cork boots and chaps on. My saw fits in a scabbard made of wood.I currently have a 28 inch bar on the saw. This set up allows me to cut trees up to 56 inches in diameter. . I would suggest using Surly (cro-moly) racks, they look pretty sturdy! http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/nicerack_pop.html

I won't be able to make it this Saturday, wish I could be there!

I wish I knew how to post pictures, can anyone help me with a tutorial?

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.