mtbr member

Feedback on Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires (2.4) this Fall/Winter on AM rigs

Anyone been running Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires this Fall/Winter (2.4 with TrailStar compound)? If so, what has been your experience with the following:

1. Overall performance:
    - Wet rock/root
    - performance on dry days
    - mud shedding
    - uphill traction
    - corning
    - overall traction

2. Performance on trails at Sandy Ridge, Post Canyon, and Syncline?

3. Sidewall durability? They holding their own against rocks or are you seeing the tears folks have experienced with Nobby Nics and other Schwalbe tires?

4. Experience running tubeless:
    - easy to setup?
    - how have they been on holding PSI?
    - Sidewall strength? They folding with low PSI?
    Last edited by JMW503; 03-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    I have been riding them this winter.
    Coming off of WTP Bronson's.
    Much rounder tire where the Bronson's had a flatter tread.
    I liked the Bronson's, but I am also diggin the HD's.
    Seem to ride faster.
    I am still trying to find the right psi since these are a high volume tire.
    I find I can run lower then normal (for me).
    I also run them Stan's tubeless.
    I like them but need more time on them to give full report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any more updates on this tire for the PNW?

mtbr member
    It's taken me a bit to get use to it, but one I did, I really like it. Will the stiffer sidewalls and high volume I find myself running them really low pressure. They also grip really well on the slick. I am still getting use to the roundness of the tire. different (nor bad) from the other rubber I run (maxxis/wtb)

mtbr member
    I went ahead and ran them (trailstar) on my new build and they were just ok. Quick review points:

- Tubeless set up easy and fast
    - Mud shedding was good, not great
    - PSI needed to be run low (24f/26r)
    - Sidewalls were great: didn't fold and handled sharp rocks
    - Durability is pretty bad. They wore down quickly, with the knobs showing the "wrinkled" wear marks that folk have complained about. A few more rides and I'm sure I'd have started losing knobs.
    - These are not fast tires. Very slow in my opinion.
    - Traction and ride feel in straights, especially rock stuff is great. This is were the softness of the tire is a benefit.
    - Traction in the wet stuff was a bit better than average. Not as good as Conti Black Chili but better than Maxxis and Kenda
    - Cornering, well, there's no better way to say it other than they sucked. I found them just not holding my lines very well, with way too much drift. They just didn't grab. The side knobs also seemed to fold, which didn't help.

So, in the end, the Hans Dampfs are exactly what Schwalbe markets them as - an all rounder tire. They aren't horrible, but they just aren't really great at anything. I gave them a chance and used them on 15 rides and finally said no mas. I now run a Conti Trail King (2.4) up front and Mountain King (2.35) in back. The performance improvement was immediately noticeable - the Conti's are just better tires IMO. Once the trails dry out, I'll either put a Mountain King up front or go with the Trail King 2.2's front and back. All set ups are tubeless.

All that said, this is just my experience. Tire choice is personal, and I know folks who love the Hans Dampfs. However, I know more people who love the Fat Alberts and Nobby Nics, so I'd say go with those tires if one wants to go with Schwalbe for more of an all-rounder tire.

mtbr member
    I had the same experience with them. The big problem for me was how round the tire profile was - couldn't force the side lugs into the turns for real fast/aggro riding. I think they're the perfect tire for the more XC types that don't really lay their bikes over in corners but kind of ease them into corners and steer with the bars more. Just my opinion. Did love the fact that they don't deflect off of rocks - that trailstar compound really does absorb hits well but does wear out fast too. Back to Minion DHF's for me!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll be due for new rubber by the end of June. I'm trying to decide what to try and so far I've read so many threads my head is going to explode. I'm currently using a set of WTB Bronson race and at first I loved them. Over the year my riding has progressed and I'm finding that I push the Bronson's to hard at times and wash out. Especially on the front tire and when conditions are loose like the PNW is most of the time. My current thoughts were to try a Muddy Mary 2.35 front and a Hans Dampf rear. The wear issues with the HD worry me a bit and I've wondered about using the ORC compound out back. I don't tend to ride the back wheel very hard (I'm more over the front wheel kinda rider) and I'm usually not laying the bike on its side in corners, so I wonder if the HD's would last better than some have experienced. Any advise would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Save some money and run a set of butcher control 2.3s front and rear. I like schwalbe, but they are pricey and wear out fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll look into those some more. Previously I had considered the purgatory but just wasn't getting the good reviews I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I'll be due for new rubber by the end of June. I'm trying to decide what to try and so far I've read so many threads my head is going to explode. I'm currently using a set of WTB Bronson race and at first I loved them. Over the year my riding has progressed and I'm finding that I push the Bronson's to hard at times and wash out. Especially on the front tire and when conditions are loose like the PNW is most of the time. My current thoughts were to try a Muddy Mary 2.35 front and a Hans Dampf rear. The wear issues with the HD worry me a bit and I've wondered about using the ORC compound out back. I don't tend to ride the back wheel very hard (I'm more over the front wheel kinda rider) and I'm usually not laying the bike on its side in corners, so I wonder if the HD's would last better than some have experienced. Any advise would be helpful.
    Should work fine for OR riding but the Big Betty rear is the "ticket" with MM front. They're both full blown freeride tires tho and have the weight penalty to go with them (at least 100-150 grams heavier than HD no matter what Schwalbe's specs say). Love that setup on my FR bike!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    The HD is a bad rear tire - it just wears way too quickly. The MM's are great in the wet but come June will leave you oh so unhappy. While I'm a Conti fan, you might want to consider Fat Alberts or Nobby Nics for this season if you're set on Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll look into those some more. Previously I had considered the purgatory but just wasn't getting the good reviews I was looking for.
    Purgatory is a good tire, but there is nothing special about it. Trail kings are similar, but I like them quite a bit more. Butcher iss a fabulous tire. It's a very similar tread pattern to a minion dhf, which is one of the very best tires ever made. Butcher is a little cheaper and has a tubeless bead as compared to minion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Butcher looks promising based on the tread pattern. How do they measure up for size? I've grown very fond of the large volume bronson, and going to a 2.3 tire would be about the smallest I'd consider. I'm also not set on schwalbe, I've just been turned on to them based on reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Butcher 2.3 is very close to Minion 2.5 for size. For the price and performance, I love the Butcher front & rear. The wear rate is good unless you ride rock all the time.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Purgatory is a good tire, but there is nothing special about it. Trail kings are similar, but I like them quite a bit more. Butcher iss a fabulous tire. It's a very similar tread pattern to a minion dhf, which is one of the very best tires ever made. Butcher is a little cheaper and has a tubeless bead as compared to minion.
    This is why the butcher will replace my minions. I still want a tubeless ready butcher/minion with a soft rubber compound.

highly visible
    I like the Purgatory in wet conditions, but I don't think of it as a great all rounder. I liked the volume (one of the bigger 29" tires) but I thought it was a bit sketchy in loose/dry Central OR conditions.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride sandy ridge quite often and I'm starting to think I need some gravel tires.