mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Favorite Neighborhoods in Bend

Hi there and Greetings from Colorado!

I've managed to get an interview for what could be my dream job in Bend. My wife and I have always loved Bend, and we'ld consider it a privilege to move there.
    We'll make a road trip for the interview- while I'm in talking nice, she'll be checking out the town and meeting folks.
    Can anyone suggest nice neighborhoods to check out for house rentals or possibly purchase? Work would be close to downtown, and I'd ride to work from 10-15 miles. Our priorities are 1) happy community 2) dog friendly culture 3) nice MTB access 4) townie bikes to downtown 5) beer
    We don't have kids, so no issues there. We'ld be in the 1-1.5K/month range
    Thanks very much for any ideas- we're looking forward to meeting your fine town!
    Cheers, C

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey4 View Post
    I'd ride to work from 10-15 miles.
    LOL! Bend is only 7 miles across so you can live just about anywhere and have a short commute.

For the best/easiest MTB access you'll want to look on the west side of town, perhaps somewhere along Skyliner Dr., Galveston Ave., or Newport Ave.

COTA member
    Traveling East/West in Bend can be challenging at times. I live on the West side with direct access to the Phil's Trail System. Yet very easy to get downtown. The East side of Bend is typically lower cost and higher density subdivisions. West and East have very different look and feel with West being more forested and East more desert.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The West side is certainly much more trendy and "cool" and you can bike less than a mile and be at 5-6 brew pubs and 3-4 bike shops. You pay a premium for that convenience for both rentals and buying. I live on the East side and only the newer construction is higher density. My house and all those around me are on a half acre and I really appreciate the low density of the East side, plus during the winter I will have 4-6 inches of snow in the yard and my friends on the West side will have 1 1/2 feet plus. I can still be downtown in 15 min on my cruiser bike.

There are really few bad places to live in Bend, show up, ride your bike around town and through the neighborhoods and figure it out. The West side is nice for easy access to the Phils network but I would probably drink to much if I lived that close to so many brewpubs and the extra couple of miles really isn't a factor, if I get dropped up at Swampy or Dutchman, I still ride home.

COTA member
    I like to classic or skate ski just about every day in the winter so I enjoy the proximity to Cascade Lakes Highway from my West side neighborhood. I can be up to Meissner sno park in under 15 minutes on week days. They groom the Meissner trails four times a week. I don't shuttle nor drink

p.s. I own a snow blower and love living in the ponderosa.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Bend is a still a nice town but has changed over the years. Far more congested! Hopefully the growth will slow down. I would try and live on the west side but the east is more affordable. I lived just east of the butte years ago and it was mostly sagebrush and scrub land but now it is urban sprawl.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 07-05-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Why not

Afric Pepperbird
    There really aren't "neighborhoods" in Bend, like there are in Portland. As mentioned, there is just east and west.

COTA member
    Actually Bend does not have sprawl because of the Urban Growth Boundary. A few years back the city tried to expand it, but the state government said no to the expansion. So any development needs to take place inside the boundary. This is increasing density in the East and pretty much ended any new West side development. That said, the roads have not kept up with the population growth. The recent passage of a bond is paying for many much needed road improvements (i.e. round a bouts, and widening).

The West side has a more planned feeling because it is newer. There are green belts and wide multi use paths and more consistent zoning.

I have been in Bend just about ten years and love living here. I am fortunate to be able to work from home and work what ever hours I like. Love to jump on my cross bike and make a nice down town loop in the evening.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    "Urban sprawl" = The Forum shopping center and its crazy parking lots. Other than that, Bend is still pretty small.

There aren't "neighborhoods" like there are in Portland or Denver but there are subdivisions that do have a bit of their own personality. Examples are Northwest Crossing, Broken Top, Shevlin Meadows, Sunrise Village, The Highlands, and The Parks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For people who bike, enjoy the outdoors, and pub hopping, the westside is usually the go-to location to live. You are close to downtown, the river, the trails and the mountain. That said, the eastside isn't that much further compared to other larger cities. The eastside also has cheaper rents and housing. Most of the bike people that I know who have lived on the eastside have since migrated to the westside though.

If you have some free time when you come to town, I would be happy to show you around Bend and the different areas that I would recommend.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

COTA member
    The majority of the crime reported (Bend Bulletin, KTVZ, Police Department) in Bend occurs on the East side.

it means 'no problem'
    Westside includes everything west of downtown
    Eastside is now considered everything East of Pilot Butte
    The realtors came up with the name "Midtown" for the zone between Parkway / hwy 97 and Pilot Butte. It's a good compromise zone...
    The market is on the upswing again (probably another bubble)
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks everybody for all the great information! very helpful, and gives us plenty to ponder when we come visit.
    have to admit- trails out the door, and 15 minutes to a skate track makes me drool...

mtbr member
    Good info to have considering I'm hoping to move from Sedona to Bend this time next year...

Not to hijack the thread, but is a 6" travel bike overkill for the area or will I get good use out of it?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's overkill, much more cross country and all mountain trail riding round here. There are places where you will put all of that travel to use but that's probably less than 10% of the available terrain in the area. Of course you could always keep the 6 in travel bike and expand your quiver

Nat
    Solo contendre
    A 6" bike would be a nice spare bike.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Potatoe potato! Bend is a much different town than it was years ago. You decide if it is better or worse.

COTA member
    I find a 29er XC hard tail just fine for riding the majority of the trails West of Bend. If you don't shuttle then most of the riding time is spent climbing. Long travel slack angle heavy bikes suffer dearly on the climbs.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    My ideal quiver would have a SS 29er HT, a 4" XC 29er FS, and a 6" AM 27.5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    good luck renting, right now there is nothing available. I heard something like 1% vacancy on rentals right now.

Tribe member
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    good luck renting, right now there is nothing available. I heard something like 1% vacancy on rentals right now.
    This is the truth! I just moved out here from Colorado as well, and we were under contract to have a house built and it wasn't going to be ready until the fall. I didn't think it would be so difficult to find something to rent for a few months!! In the end, we pulled the plug on that house and found one that had just been finished and were able to get a bigger lot than what we would have had, so we got moved right in, and it's been a win-win all around. Feel free to PM me @rosey4 if you would like to pick my brain any!

COTA member
    For the Phil's trail complex (i.e. anything below Shooting Star shelter) my favorite ride is my Niner Air 9 Carbon HT SS. 32x18T gear. Rides like it is on rails.

mtbr member
    I live on the east side, and love it. Bigger slice of land, more sun in the winter, less out of the wallet every month, etc. If I was 20 years younger without kids, the westside would be more "fun" for sure.
    Bend, Oregon