Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hope Favorite AM Aggressive Tires?

What tires do you like on your AM rigs? Needing to buy some new rubber. Currently running WTB Bronson's. Thinking about Hans Dampf, Muddy Mary's, Bib Betty's or Minnions. Would also consider new Bronson's which I like.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    I'd been running WTB Mutanos for the dry season, but switched to Spec Purgatory Control 2.4 in the front and 2.2 in the rear. Excellent tire, agressive tread, but a little slower rolling on the hard pack. However, they provide a much better feeling in the corners, on rocks, and in the wet. I'm running the front and rear tubeless at 23/28psi. The 2.4 in the front is a pretty large volume tire and when paired with my Sektor 150 coil it really feels plush. If you want an even more aggressive tread the Butcher is a tough, although heavier tire.

The other nice thing about the Spec tires is that they have a satisfaction guarantee. If you try out a Purgatory and don't like it, just exchange it with a different one. I had a S-Works Ground Control on the rear and it just didn't work well tubeless, so it went back and got replaced with the 2.2. Purgatory at no cost to me. I've even heard of people ripping sidewalls and getting a free replacement tire.

"Got everything you need?"

Making fat cool since '71
    Maxxis Ardent.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Afric Pepperbird
    AM in Bend?? (I know, I know... not known as an AM town, but there is some, believe it or not). Or AM in the wet side of the state?

Makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Jgusta seemed to be stoked on his new butchers. I just ordered a pair to replace a worn out minion.

mtbr member
    I have a buddy who also has the Spec Purgatory's on his wip. He also likes, but needed more time on them before he would recommend. I'll have to check them out...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maxxis ardent 2.4 front 2.25 out back. Run the rear 15 below max psi thinking about going 25 below max psi out front. Only two rides on them but I am enjoying the higher volume tires for the hard tail. FYI those two rides were in dry hard pack and loose rock in vegas. Might get out this weekend at Lee's camp.

mtbr member
    I use the Geax Gato 2.3's on my 29er hardtails and the WTB MotoRaptor in 2.4 size on the 26er with good success. Unfortunately, WTB doesn't make the MotoRaptor in the 2.4 anymore and I only have one more pair left.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I use the Geax Gato 2.3's on my 29er hardtails and the WTB MotoRaptor in 2.4 size on the 26er with good success. Unfortunately, WTB doesn't make the MotoRaptor in the 2.4 anymore and I only have one more pair left.
    I am nursing my last 2.4's as well .I would have purchased this tire for the front 'til the end of time .I never did get a response from WTB ...they certainly did not provide a subsitute .The "2.25 " version is useless .
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigbyDog View Post
    What tires do you like on your AM rigs? Needing to buy some new rubber. Currently running WTB Bronson's. Thinking about Hans Dampf, Muddy Mary's, Bib Betty's or Minnions. Would also consider new Bronson's which I like.

Thanks for the help.
    With exception of the Bronson and HD, I have ran all of the tires you have mentioned here. They are all good with nod to Schwalbe for making really good tire casings that can withstand some abuse and easily converted to tubeless without being UST. I would throw Specialized Clutch Control 2.3's to the list (ran those all year for two years here as tubeless) and been on the Butcher Control 2.3's over past month and dig them for nicely controlled, yet drifty performers in most conditions (loam shredders). I did however just mounted a Purgatory 2.2 2bliss the other night in the rear with Butcher front and will see how that rolls this weekend in the wetter conditions. Looks like it should be a good combo for around here with good grip in most conditions with maybe a little faster/easier roll for the climbs.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I am nursing my last 2.4's as well .I would have purchased this tire for the front 'til the end of time .I never did get a response from WTB ...they certainly did not provide a subsitute .The "2.25 " version is useless .
    I always thought the MotoRaptor was a solid tire, fairly large volume, hooks up well, descent weight and rolls good at a cheap price. I picked up a couple sets for a little under $20 each just before WTB stopped selling them.

Check out the Geax Gato. The volume is about the same with a slightly similar tread pattern but with a little less square knob that rolls much better.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am in the same boat. I have run Panaracer Rampage 2.35's and loved them. When they wore out, I procured a set of Scott Stroke 2.35's. THose were the best all-round tire I have ever tried. Used them for 2 years in all conditions. But, you can't buy them anywhere, so what to do? The High Roller II's that come on my new bike I just can't stand. Might be just fine in drier conditions, but they pack up like nothing else in the goop. Have been considering Conti Trail King 2.4's, HD's (but have heard wear is a concern), and Conti Baron 2.3's. If anyone has an opinion, I'm all ears.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

Singletrack Addict
    I've probably run the Motoraptor more than any other tire in the past five years or so. Sure will miss em.

Currently running Ardents on my Sultan.

With tubes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've used Bronson 2.3's for about a year and so far I've been very satisfied with them. My wife is due for a new set of tires and I can't decide if I want to get her Bronsons or try something else recommended here.

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    I am in the same boat. I have run Panaracer Rampage 2.35's and loved them. When they wore out, I procured a set of Scott Stroke 2.35's. THose were the best all-round tire I have ever tried. Used them for 2 years in all conditions. But, you can't buy them anywhere, so what to do? The High Roller II's that come on my new bike I just can't stand. Might be just fine in drier conditions, but they pack up like nothing else in the goop. Have been considering Conti Trail King 2.4's, HD's (but have heard wear is a concern), and Conti Baron 2.3's. If anyone has an opinion, I'm all ears.
    FWIW...the Trail King was the absolute WORST tire for high speed/aggressive trail riding I've ever used...ever. I just tried the newest version and they suck marginally less. Cornering grip at speeds above weekend warrior abilities was downright lame. I only have two rides on the Baron (Moon Pt) and they were fine, but ssssslllooooooow.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Has anybody checked out the new WTB Moto's? Looks more like the Muddy Mary's. Looks like they could make a good aggressive front tire...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DigbyDog View Post
    Has anybody checked out the new WTB Moto's? Looks more like the Muddy Mary's. Looks like they could make a good aggressive front tire...
    I just looked at the website for WTB .The "new" moto looks just like the absolutely worthless 2.25 . I have two that serve no purpose . I am curious as to what WTB was thinking .
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the feedback on the TK and Baron. I'll keep looking around.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde View Post
    FWIW...the Trail King was the absolute WORST tire for high speed/aggressive trail riding I've ever used...ever. I just tried the newest version and they suck marginally less. Cornering grip at speeds above weekend warrior abilities was downright lame. I only have two rides on the Baron (Moon Pt) and they were fine, but ssssslllooooooow.

Brock...
    Interesting. people rave about them, but my experience is also that they aren't confidence inspiring when pushed really hard up front. I do like them as a rear tire for winter though.

Ive heard the baron is great for mud, which might explain the slowness.

mtbr member
    I went and fondled some of the Conti tires, and while the tread pattern looked good, I think the side lugs were just too soft for heavier aggressive riders. I would just fold those side lugs over and push through them.
    Bend, Oregon

Metalheadbikerider

I dig em.

Been riding them for over a year for everything from Whistler/Black Rock to Sandy. Big volume that rolls well and hooks up well for me. I have the older Rubber Queen version, but I think they are very similar to the new Trail Kings. If you get them make sure to get the Made in Germany version with the black chili compound.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Interesting. people rave about them, but my experience is also that they aren't confidence inspiring when pushed really hard up front. I do like them as a rear tire for winter though.

Ive heard the baron is great for mud, which might explain the slowness.
    I ran 2.4 TK's (formerly Rubber Queens) here for a few months and took them off, not cause the tread/traction was bad at all. Just really thin sidewalls in the non-UST version, preventing me from mounting them tubeless (would have to go UST version of this tire for sure for that) and they are monsta' volume in a 2.4 which is nice in rock country, but a bit overkill here since they are fairly tall and raise the bike up quite a bit. Also, I would catch thorns and puncture flat with these like nobody's business for some reason. Almost like the black-chili compound was a magnet for thorns. And the really round/doughnut shape profile of the tire didn't inspire a lot of hard lean cornering confidence and hook-up as Brock suggested as well. Good traction in most conditions (wet, dry, hard), but overated performers for the long haul, much like the Nevegals (single ply version at least). But, think I still would run the TK's over the Nevegals though.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I never understood the Nevegal craze...
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member

Maxxis...

I have become a big fan of Maxxis lately with the new EXO sidewalls. I really like the 2.4 Ardent as a front tire year round and the 2.25 makes a great fast rolling summer tire for the rear.

Running a new 2.4 Highroller EXO on the back now. The Highroller is slower rolling but the traction (both in power and braking) is excellent for muddy/loose conditions. The 2.4 Ardent front and new 2.4 HighRoller rear compliment each other well. The tires are predictable and easy to do two wheel slides on. The lugs on both are spaced far enough apart to clear mud well also.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    I also used to run the motorraptors in the 2.4 and loved them, the 2.24s just are not the same. last winter i switched to a 2.4 trail king in the rear and a 2.5 wtb prowler mx in the front. i liked that combo for our muddy slippery logs we ride all winter. in the mud going down they hooked up great. i ran that combo all summer also, the trail king started losing some breaking performace into corners so i just bought 2 new trail kings to run front and rear. i have 4 rides with that combo, still undecided about running the trail king in front, it was drifting in the mud on the high speed corners. I tend to pinch flat alot with most of the tires i have tried, but with the trail king in back i had only one pinch flat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast