mtbr member

mtbr member

The Columbia Area Mountain Bike Advocates need your help

ECEMBER 6, 2007 - SUBMITTED BY POSTCANYONLOC

The Columbia Area Mountain Bike Advocates are calling out to all MTB'ers in the Oregon, Washington area to attend a very important meeting that will decide the future of biking at the Coyote Wall/Syncline Area which is located one mile east of Bingen Washington.

http://www.camba.info/

For Immediate Release

December 1, 2007

The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Begins

Public Participation for the Coyote Wall (Syncline) Trail Project

HOOD RIVER, OREGON- On November 14, 2007, 6:00 p.m., the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, USDA Forest Service, will begin the public participation process for planning a trail system in the Coyote Wall (Syncline) and Catherine Creek area. It will be the first of a series of three meetings to collaboratively work with stakeholders and concerned citizens to formalize a trail system in the area.

The meetings will be held at the Pioneer Center (behind Post Office) in White Salmon, Washington. Dec 12th (WEDS) at 6pm.

The Forest Service has acquired several thousand acres of land since 1987 in the Burdoin Mountain, Coyote Wall and Catherine Creek areas. The area has become very popular destination for recreation users, particularly mountain bikers and hikers. Numerous user trails and routes have developed over the past several years. The trails are located on a mix of public and private lands with some trails showing visible signs of erosion and impacts to adjacent natural and cultural resources “The purpose of these collaborative meetings is to develop a proposed trail system (non-motorized) that would recognize and address current uses, respect private property, provide a variety of recreation experiences, protect adjacent sensitive resources, and be sustainable(minimize resource damage),” said Dan Harkenrider, Area Manager.

The proposed system would then analyzed through the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) process.

For more information please contact Stan Hinatsu at ( 541-308-1708 ) or by email (shinatsu@fs.fed.us).

Note By Author- "Guys, I know most of you have purchased Freeride Films NWD8 "Smackdown", if not you're lagging big time, in the bonus DVD is a short film by Oakley called "Have You Seen It?" In this "not your average huck film" the riders explore the Coyote Wall/Syncline area. GET A COPY! Listen to what Alex Pro, Wade Simmons, Brian Lopes, CG, April Lawyer, Niki Gudex and NORCO's Darcy T all say when riding the area!"

Pictures of Syncline Riding in PinkBike's Photo Gallery. (Thanks to the Filter!)

Try your best to look past the girl- behind her is the Coyote Wall/Syncline area.

-Mike Estes
    Comments
    Comments

Post A New Comment

users online.
    Copyright © 2007. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.

Leave it all on the trail
    Hmm... Let me try this again, How are some of the folks attending the meeting Wednesday going to address all the obvious issues that will be brought up?
    Last edited by Switchback78; 12-07-2007 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    ECEMBER 6, 2007 - SUBMITTED BY POSTCANYONLOC

The Forest Service has acquired several thousand acres of land since 1987 in the Burdoin Mountain, Coyote Wall and Catherine Creek areas. The area has become very popular destination for recreation users, particularly mountain bikers and hikers. Numerous user trails and routes have developed over the past several years. The trails are located on a mix of public and private lands with some trails showing visible signs of erosion and impacts to adjacent natural and cultural resources “The purpose of these collaborative meetings is to develop a proposed trail system (non-motorized) that would recognize and address current uses, respect private property, provide a variety of recreation experiences, protect adjacent sensitive resources, and be sustainable(minimize resource damage),” said Dan Harkenrider, Area Manager.

users online.
    Copyright © 2007. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
    While it appears Dan Harkenrider's motives are noble, this statement is too vague in it's delivery. In working together to find solutions to the issues in the area, we need more specifics as to what these issues are so we can come to this meeting prepared. Mentioned in the above text, but not defined, leaves me with the following questions:

-Which trails/areas of Coyote Wall are in need of attention to protect them from further erosion?

-What are the specific "sensative resources" we are trying to protect?

-What are the specific "cultural resources" we are trying to protect?

-What are the specific issues surrounding the shared use of people's private property?

With answers to the above questions provided before the meeting, I imagine the meeting will be a more productive event. An educated public is more likely to deliver real-world solutions to the SPECIFIC problems faced if they know what these SPECIFIC problems are.

Thanks,

Management

Always Breaking Stuff
    I'm by no means an expert but have been riding at Syncline for a few years and it seems like many of these conflicts are due to lack of adequate communication.

Other than the occasional sign designating the private property closed for hunting season I've never seen any reference to acceptable usage. The lack of published maps and trail signage is likely a major factor in the development of "unofficial" routes which appears to be one of the primary concerns since poorly designed trails are more susceptible to erosion.

The combination of public and private land makes official development difficult but not impossible. CAMBA has obviously managed to bridge this gap, but it is becoming apparent that they have more on their plate than they can handle alone. It seems like GFRA does a good job with Post Canyon, and since many of the issues at Syncline appear related to the lack of official freeriding development maybe getting GFRA officially involved would help to provide some well designed freeride trails and thereby minimize unofficial development.

Also having better information at the parking lot billboard would probably address many of the other issues (dogs, cattle, etc) as well.

I plan on going to this meeting on Wed, I'm just trying to brainstorm some ideas ahead of time.
    Last edited by thorir; 12-07-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'm not an expert of this stuff

I reallly don't understand endangered species, trail preservation, erosion, homeowner concerns, hunting, etc. But, I do know Klickitat County is a rural county that has miles of habitat for animals, tons of hunting opportunities, and thousands of farms. I drive around the county because I work there full time. It is gorgeous! I don't think anyone can argue that 'usage' puts pressure on the land. Any knd of usage. Not just biking, hiking, or hunting but living up there too. If we really want the area wild we should close it to everyone, including having homes up there. But, that is obviously not reaonsable or legal. Heck, if we want to protect the wildlife and land of Klickitat County, we should stop the development of the county at all. No more building permits or growth allowed. Again, not reaonable or legal. Gorge Commission is trying to do that. I know, cheap shot, but my point is we have to admit we are all having some level of negative impact on the county just by our usage. We just need to learn to cohabitate, lessen our footprint, and lighten up a bit. It just is what it is! I don't understand walking around shooting at animals and I bet hunters don't understand us. Many homeowners think we are all a pain in the tail. The animals and land are stressed by the homeowners. No one can feel to smuge about it without becoming a total hypocrite.

Jaybo