mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Family Biking Around Portland

Hi All......the family and I are thinking of visiting Portland in August and I am hoping we can bring our bikes. I am looking for some recommendations for rides in the range of 20 miles or so and nothing too technical or too much climbing as the rest of the family will complain.

i see there are some rides around Portland, but I am looking for something along a river or around water, and it would be awesome if it was within an hour from Portland.

it seems most of the rides that I have found this far, would not appeal to the family (son is 12 and daughter will be 9).

we are coming from Calgary and I would like to stop and do something along the Columbia gorge.

FKA Malibu412
    If you want to make a stop in the Gorge that most of the family will be able to handle, I recommend the Easy Climb trail system in Cascade Locks. Less than an hour from Portland and as you might guess from the name, not a lot of climbing. Much of it is on the Columbia River and you have all the great Gorge views from just about anywhere.

Plus, if your bikes are secure, you can make stops at other Gorge points such as Multnomah Falls, the Historic Highway 30, Crown Point, etc. You could even tack on the paved foot/bike-only Highway 30 trail from Hood River to Mosier. More terrific views as you are higher in elevation in the Gorge and some of the tunnels have been rebuilt. About 16 miles round trip if I remember right. I think your family would enjoy it.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Easy Climb is a good choice and you can bribe the kids with ice cream from the East Wind drive in afterwards, at least that works with my kids. If you are willing to go further out in the gorge the Klickitat rail-trail is a nice easy ride with some good views, although it is pretty hot. By the time you get to Portland the Riverview trails may be open and you can also go West and ride the trails in Stub Stewart State Park and the Banks Vernonia trail.
    Sadly Portland does not have much in the way of mountain biking close to town, Powell Butte in the extreme SE has some decent trails and some nice views. If yo uare OK with riding paved trails, there are good rides along the Willamette and Columbia.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

shut up legs
    check out Lacamas Lake
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa Fargo | Surly Krampus
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

Metalheadbikerider
    Hagg Lake should be good.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Lewis River and Souixon are worth the drive - far more scenic than the other suggestions but a bit more technical/hilly. Even if your family was hiking for some of it they would really enjoy those trails more because of the waterfalls and scenery IMHO and I've seen a lot of families on both.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!