Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Falls Creek?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Falls Creek?

Anybody know what shape falls creek is in? Guessing it's good to go but planning on riding it this weekend & wanted some confirmation.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Good to go. There are a few trees down between Old Man Pass and the horse camp. Its in great shape from there down (thanks to the guy from Dirty Fingers who was pruning, cutting, raking, etc all weekend). The few patches of snow should be gone by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good news!! Thinking I was really late to the table this year but if there is still some snow patches that's good news to me. Props to Dirty Fingers awesome shop

mtbr member
    What kind of parking pass do you need there (Old Man Pass specifically)? I'm confused over the Discovery Pass that WA now issues and the Northwest Forest Pass that I can buy here:
    The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

I'd like to do some backcountry camping in the GP Natl Forest too and thought the NW pass covered all of that?

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    What kind of parking pass do you need there (Old Man Pass specifically)? I'm confused over the Discovery Pass that WA now issues and the Northwest Forest Pass that I can buy here:
    The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

I'd like to do some backcountry camping in the GP Natl Forest too and thought the NW pass covered all of that?

Thanks,

G
    I believe that a pass is NOT required here. We parked at the fancy parking lot on Sunday and there was nothing posted. Very nice "facility" at this time. Trail is in great shape.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Thanks,

G
    I'm a little confused on the passes as well. The way I understand it is the Northwest Forest pass covers them all. The signs on the way up say Northwest Forest Pass required, that I can say for sure. Typically I park right in front of the sign posting pass required in any given area (out of principle of coarse). Seems to be a loophole that has always worked for me.

mtbr member
    The Northwest Forest Pass is required on federal land. The Discover Pass is required on Washington State Land; Washington State Parks, DNR Land and Fish and Wildlife Land.

As for Oldman Pass, I'm not sure. I do know in the winter a Sno-Park pass is required by the state, but I think the area is on federal land, so if anything, I'd guess a NW Forest Pass.

I've never used anything in the past.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Gifford Pinchot National Forest - Trail #152 Falls Creek

Check the link... no pass required. I checked the pass requirement for 152a as well. I was told by a forest service employee years ago, but I have always parked by the swimming hole and did not care until the upper TH was closed.

mtbr member
    Wow, awesome info poppa! I needed a trail map of that area too!

THANKS!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow, awesome info poppa! I needed a trail map of that area too!

THANKS!

G
    If you have the time I highly recommend trail #151 to Old Man Pass. You can return on Snowfoot trail back to McClellan Meadows. It was in fantastic shape Sunday. There is some high speed fun to be had on McClellan, btw.

mtbr member
    Yup, I always start with ripping the 151 - LOVE IT! I've never connected it with the 171 all the way down to FC tho so this may be the time! I dread the climb back out tho and riding that windy road seems a bit dangerous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yup, I always start with ripping the 151 - LOVE IT! I've never connected it with the 171 all the way down to FC tho so this may be the time! I dread the climb back out tho and riding that windy road seems a bit dangerous.
    I almost always ride it as a loop. Here's what I do

-Park at milepost #18 (ample area to pull far off the road)
    -Ride up to the snowpark & rip down 151
    -Continue with ride all the way down to bottom
    -At finish, don't go over bridge to parking lot but go straight
    -Continue a bit, comes to a T with stream on left & old grown over road on right
    -Go right on old grown over road for maybe 3/4 mile.
    -River will come into view on your left with rugged trail down to it.
    -Head down & across river.
    -Head down stream a bit & your car will come into view......easy

Doing this cuts a fairly large chunk of road/dirt road riding out. I have never found the road ride up to be at all windy or dangerous. Infact it's peaceful & quite enjoyable. Road it as a loop this past Sunday & it was all fun!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I almost always ride it as a loop. Here's what I do

-Park at milepost #18 (ample area to pull far off the road)
    -Ride up to the snowpark & rip down 151
    -Continue with ride all the way down to bottom
    -At finish, don't go over bridge to parking lot but go straight
    -Continue a bit, comes to a T with stream on left & old grown over road on right
    -Go right on old grown over road for maybe 3/4 mile.
    -River will come into view on your left with rugged trail down to it.
    -Head down & across river.
    -Head down stream a bit & your car will come into view......easy

Doing this cuts a fairly large chunk of road/dirt road riding out. I have never found the road ride up to be at all windy or dangerous. Infact it's peaceful & quite enjoyable. Road it as a loop this past Sunday & it was all fun!
    Excellent info! One of my old maps shows the abandoned road on it but I never tried that route since I was doubtful of the crossing of Wind River. What's the crossing like?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Easy crossing, mostly ankle deep & never above the knee. There is a swimming whole right there too. The key is to park right at mile post 18 (there is a clear pull off) as you can see your car & make for the easiest bushwack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I always do the out and back. I can't believe so many folks skip the McClellan descent.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Great Info guys, thanks again!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I always do the out and back. I can't believe so many folks skip the McClellan descent.

Cheers!
    Do you mean the trail 150 going from Old Man Pass to McClellan along the east side of the road and then heading SSE on the road to meet back up with trail 151 at the south end of McClellan Meadows and trail 157? Or are you talking about heading north on 157 from the Indian Race Track area towards McClellan Meadows?

Finally, can you recommend if a first-timer (on this trail, not a MTB) should bother trying a midweek solo ride or should they have a partner? I know, I should always have a riding partner, but midweek rides make it tough to get one from the pool of working slobs I would normally pull from for evening or weekend rides.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bump. Again.
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 06-16-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    bump. Is MTBR working yet?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Finally, can you recommend if a first-timer (on this trail, not a MTB) should bother trying a midweek solo ride or should they have a partner? I know, I should always have a riding partner,
    Personally, I would have no qualms about riding this solo for a first time. That being said, I do most of my rides solo and backpack solo 70% of my trips. Are you comfortable solo? This route is pretty easy to follow. A couple places dump out on to old roads that might prove a challenge to pick up the trail. If you are good with a map, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 06-17-2013 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Clariity

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Personally, I would have no qualms about riding this solo for a first time. That being said, I do most of my rides solo and backpack solo 70% of my trips. Are you comfortable solo? This route is pretty easy to follow. A couple places dump out on to old roads that might prove a challenge to pick up the trail. If you are good with a map, you'll be fine.
    Yeah, perfectly comfortable doing solo, but I tend to do long rides either on trails that are within 5 miles of "somewhere" or are well traveled enough to have someone come by if something bad should happen. That said, I have done solo near epics and simply tune my riding down a few notches on the "what I'll ride vs. what I'll hike" scale. I've done the Middle Fork Snoq. trail a couple of times solo, and I'm more careful alone out there. However, things do happen, and bonking and doing stupid sh!t is always a possibility.

The route looks easy enough to do either as a loop up the road and down, or as an OAB from the bottom.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great solo ride... midweek is the best too! Nobody to scare at 30mph. Remember that if you do the out and back getting lost is really hard.
    Last edited by poppa#1; 06-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Do you mean the trail 150 going from Old Man Pass to McClellan along the east side of the road and then heading SSE on the road to meet back up with trail 151 at the south end of McClellan Meadows and trail 157? Or are you talking about heading north on 157 from the Indian Race Track area towards McClellan Meadows?
    No, if you go across the street from the parkking lot at OMP, you'll find 151 which descends to MMeadows. It's not easy to see so a lot of peeps don't even know it is there (which is fine by me!).

I'm unemployed right now and would love to have a riding partner for mid week rides. I'm a slow uphiller tho (much more of a DH style rider) so fast XC types prob won't like riding with me, lol! Let me know if any of you guys would like to ride sometime.

Cheers,

G

mtbr member
    I think 90% of my summer riding is solo and in some very desolate places, I just come prepared for most everything. I think that riding solo has given me the opportunity to see some incredible wildlife (bears, badgers and even a few mtn cats). I have ridden Falls Cr a few times by myself as well and think its great and easy to follow. Just remember the two places where people could get off track are:
    1. the gravel road that leads to and past the campground (just stop at the campground and you will find where the single track begins)
    2. the strange 4 or 5 way intersection (which the route is now much easier to follow with newer re-route).
    Enjoy the ride! You doing it as a loop with the road climb or epic with the fire road loop?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, if you go across the street from the parkking lot at OMP, you'll find 151 which descends to MMeadows. It's not easy to see so a lot of peeps don't even know it is there (which is fine by me!).

I'm unemployed right now and would love to have a riding partner for mid week rides. I'm a slow uphiller tho (much more of a DH style rider) so fast XC types prob won't like riding with me, lol! Let me know if any of you guys would like to ride sometime.

Cheers,

G
    Oh, 151 is what I thought was the normal route to McClellan rather than road riding or paralleling the road and then riding a logging road south to meet up with 157. That's exactly what I would have done with the loop ride and if energy was still available, the OAB too.

Well, I qualify on the uphill part--I'm not very fast either as I am old(er) and not at an ideal weight although fairly fit. But I am definitely not a DH guy--I like to keep both wheels on the ground. I do enough damage to myself even so! But midweek rides are the best for me, so if you are going to ride there at some point, let me know and I can meet up with you somewhere (probably the trail head), since I live up near Seattle.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast