Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F*#&ing rain!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

F*#&ing rain!

My gawd, please make it stop, I am suffering from major withdrawal symptoms. Even Sycline is a freaking mud pit. We have had rain on 19 out of 20 of the last days. Hey, you Californian's, please read my post and keep your smog sucking arses in So Cal. It rains here for 8 months a year. No kidding! It is like Chinese water torture. But, the summers are nice...lets do a dry day dance.

Jaybo

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Make the trip south for the "Second Cumming" on the 21st. Good dirty fun rain or no rain. In fact it is at its best in a downpour.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Portland, OR
    I know, this rain is insane. and supposidly we have another huge storm coming in I havent even been able to get out and ride the skatepark, that is less than 500 feet from my home
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been getting plenty of riding in with all my mountainbike buddies. Keep an open mind and search out your options.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

where are you riding?

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    I've been getting plenty of riding in with all my mountainbike buddies. Keep an open mind and search out your options.
    My favorite places are so muddy that riding there just destroys the trail (e.g., Syncline, Whoop De Doo, etc). I have been getting some rides in at Trail 400 at Cascade Locks because the trail is rocky and stays in good shape. Of course, that area of the Gorge is very wet but that is fine as long as the trails are in good shape.

I road bike this time of year quite a bit. It keeps me moving even if road biking is rather dull. Are yuu riding in the west hills? I bet that is a mud bowel.

Jaybo

PS Have you create more tire room yet for the Mountain Cycle? NIce looking bikes but no mud clearance in any Moutain Cycle I have seen....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    My favorite places are so muddy that riding there just destroys the trail (e.g., Syncline, Whoop De Doo, etc). I have been getting some rides in at Trail 400 at Cascade Locks because the trail is rocky and stays in good shape. Of course, that area of the Gorge is very wet but that is fine as long as the trails are in good shape.

I road bike this time of year quite a bit. It keeps me moving even if road biking is rather dull. Are yuu riding in the west hills? I bet that is a mud bowel.

Jaybo

PS Have you create more tire room yet for the Mountain Cycle? NIce looking bikes but no mud clearance in any Moutain Cycle I have seen....
    We've been going to the indoor park, see my thread about it. They are open six nights a week. There are often more than thirty other mtn bike guys there.

Which model Mountain Cycle are you referring to? They all seem to have plenty clearance to me.

mtbr member
    If you don't like the rain, move back to California. Seriously.
    Start off slow & taper off from there.

mtbr member

Amen brutha

My gawd, please make it stop, I am suffering from major withdrawal symptoms. Even Sycline is a freaking mud pit. We have had rain on 19 out of 20 of the last days. Hey, you Californian's, please read my post and keep your smog sucking arses in So Cal. It rains here for 8 months a year. No kidding! It is like Chinese water torture. But, the summers are nice...lets do a dry day dance.

Jaybo

Been freaking dreaming about riding its been so bad! Esp since I got my new RFX just B4 Xmas...she's only been out a few times, and not to any 'real' trails
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'm a native to the NW

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBoneJr
    If you don't like the rain, move back to California. Seriously.
    I'm not from California! I don't like the rain. It sucks arse! I really don't understand how anyone can enjoy this weather. It befuddles me. I do enjoy the 4-5 months it doesn't rain everyday here though. Plus, I like a lot of other things about the area. The rain sucks!

Jaybo

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I'm not from California! I don't like the rain. It sucks arse! I really don't understand how anyone can enjoy this weather. It befuddles me. I do enjoy the 4-5 months it doesn't rain everyday here though. Plus, I like a lot of other things about the area. The rain sucks!

Jaybo
    C'mon Jaybo....move down here already. Not to rub salt in the wounds, but it was in the mid 70s on our ride today without a cloud in the sky. However, nothing is perfect of course......

By the way, were you not coming down to Southern California at some point soon? I could have sworn you mentioned that.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Nothing is best in a downpour!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Make the trip south for the "Second Cumming" on the 21st. Good dirty fun rain or no rain. In fact it is at its best in a downpour.
    Rain is cold and wet unless you are in Panama. Nonetheless, that Second Coming looks very fun. I might have to check it out.

I went to Bend last weekend. It wa mostly snow covered with a foot of snow at Sunriver. Skiing was good though.

Jaybo

mtbr member

... and if we just ... You're too picky!

Rain is cold and wet unless you are in Panama. Nonetheless, that Second Coming looks very fun. I might have to check it out.

I went to Bend last weekend. It wa mostly snow covered with a foot of snow at Sunriver. Skiing was good though.

Jaybo
    Or maybe I've just gotten used to all the rain at the coast! If you would have come over to the land of the exploding whale this morning, you could have joined us for a wonderful gravel logging road ride in the sideways rain! Enjoy it? Well, if we waited for good weather, we would never get to ride! So out we go and hope for the best!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I've been on a bike twice since Barbie Camp. One doesn't really count since it was a citybound trials ride.

I've taken a liking to hauling the snowshoes and snowboard about an hour or so east. Seem that anything wet out here in Portland turns white and fluffy once you're over 5K feet.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

The upside is this...

Quote Originally Posted by milt k
    Or maybe I've just gotten used to all the rain at the coast! If you would have come over to the land of the exploding whale this morning, you could have joined us for a wonderful gravel logging road ride in the sideways rain! Enjoy it? Well, if we waited for good weather, we would never get to ride! So out we go and hope for the best!
    I used to live in North Dakota. I'm telling ya, that is a bad outdoor place. Otherwise, it has very nice people and a nice environment to live in. We do have some of the best riding on the planet.

Jaybo

Cookie Monster
    Oct 2005

Brrrrrrr

Jaybo
    Surviving because the trails around here stay in decent shape in the rain. Lots of granite maybe. So today I tried to sneak out between downpoors. Well, I did pretty good. It only rained on the way up and then on the way down. Well, it didn't rain the whole way down....it snowed a lot too. I was still cold after I used all the hot water in the shower. But..3600 ft. of ups and downs and 18 miles of bumpy, sloshy trail...ya it's rainy, but life is good. And at least it's not dusty.

the Dude memorial aviator
    Are yuu riding in the west hills? I bet that is a mud bowel.
    Heh, that's one way to put it.

gabrielle

mtbr member

Man do I miss the Rain...

Jaybo
    At least you can still see the mountains. I grew up in Eugene and now live in Kansas.......hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa someone shoot me before I go insane, there is no rain, there is no mountains, there is no snow, and there is certainly no beach. count your blessings and remember that in only five more months you will be in the Greatest environment for participating in the greatest outdoor sport in the world. 6 months of rain is a small price to pay for the 4 months of bliss. trust me I know.

mtbr member

click...

Quote Originally Posted by Jubberman00
    At least you can still see the mountains. I grew up in Eugene and now live in Kansas.......hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa someone shoot me before I go insane, there is no rain, there is no mountains, there is no snow, and there is certainly no beach. count your blessings and remember that in only five more months you will be in the Greatest environment for participating in the greatest outdoor sport in the world. 6 months of rain is a small price to pay for the 4 months of bliss. trust me I know.
    There's no place like home.. There's no place like home..

Toby Wong?
    go skiing Jay. stop whining.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

You have entered a no-whining zone

Geez, quitcherb!tchin! You live in the Northwest for goodness sake!

Funny, I find it's the natives that whine the loudest about the rain. Don't like it? Move!

As for me, I'll be riding in the DOD super-secret singletrack zone. We just put in yet another new trail this weekend. We have a trailbuilding group second to none out here, and we build, and ride, rain or shine!

Jaybo, I gotta be your worst nightmare. I moved her from Cali about 13 years ago, and I'm never moving away!

See ya at the ACM. Cheers!

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    Funny, I find it's the natives that whine the loudest about the rain. Don't like it? Move!

As for me, I'll be riding in the DOD super-secret singletrack zone. We just put in yet another new trail this weekend. We have a trailbuilding group second to none out here, and we build, and ride, rain or shine!

Jaybo, I gotta be your worst nightmare. I moved her from Cali about 13 years ago, and I'm never moving away!

Albee the locals complain more because they never made a choice to move here, they were born here. I'm not sure why they dont go somewhere "better" if they think such a place exists. That's what I did! You and I chose to move to Oregon as adults, with full knowledge of what we were getting. I have lived in 5 states, in all 4 corners of the US, and I chose Oregon as the best option for me.

I dont think Jaybo really wants to leave, and I understand the desire to vent when you are socked in day after day (it must be better weather here in Eugene than Portland) but the key is to not let it keep you inside. If you like to ski, the rain is really liquid gold. I just heard that 12" of powder will be falling in the Cascades every 12 hours for the next few days.

We ride all winter in BLM logging lands, and while the trails get sloppy in the winter, they dry out and pack down hard and smooth every spring. We also take advantage of winter to do much of our annual maintaining and building.

And hey, don't forget that the days are getting longer, Daylight Savings will be here in 75 days, and all this year's rain and snow may make for healthier forests and lower fire danger this summer.

Just put on a pair of rose-tinted glasses, and keep smiling!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Amen, my D.O.D. bretheran!!! Jaybo get some rain gear and come down to eugene .I guaranty you'll have a blast rain,rain,or more rain!!!!!!!More rain less fires just look at Oaklahomie,and texass man .
    [SIZE=4]I'd rather be mountainbiking. [/SIZE]

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Don't ruin my fun

Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    Geez, quitcherb!tchin! You live in the Northwest for goodness sake!

I'll admit, I'm a quircky guy. I like to bit*h. It makes me happy! Laugh. I'm just dealing with some SADD (seasonal affective disorder or maybe it is I can't ride my fuc*king bike and it is piss*ng me off). Oh, well, back to the gold Titus road bike for laps around the city.

I don't care if you basta*d scum suckin' Cali boys want to move up here and destroy our real estate market, take our jobs, and bring your crappy driving. What do I care? Urg! I hope you throw a derailleur threw the spokes your new King Cali wheelset Just kidding.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll admit, I'm a quircky guy. I like to bit*h. It makes me happy! Laugh. I'm just dealing with some SADD (seasonal affective disorder or maybe it is I can't ride my fuc*king bike and it is piss*ng me off). Oh, well, back to the gold Titus road bike for laps around the city.

I don't care if you basta*d scum suckin' Cali boys want to move up here and destroy our real estate market, take our jobs, and bring your crappy driving. What do I care? Urg! I hope you throw a derailleur threw the spokes your new King Cali wheelset Just kidding.

Jaybo
    I thought I heard you say you like to ride trials? Come ride with us. I'm sure I ride more than anyone on this forum, yet don't get wet!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    I thought I heard you say you like to ride trials? Come ride with us. I'm sure I ride more than anyone on this forum, yet don't get wet!
    If Jaybo rides trials, we should all hook up some time. I've taken a lot of time off from the trials bike, but now that Aaron L. is a local, I have a bit more motivation to ride.

Not get wet? you got some indoor obstacle course lined up?
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast