mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Eugene bike mechanics...any recommends?

Hey Eugene folks, if you were going to have your bike worked on, who would you trust to do it? Shop and mechanic's name please.

The Brutally Handsome
    Most of the bike shops in Eugene are great, but each has a niche so you might decide based on your type of bike and riding. Here's my basic assessment of the LBS's in no particular order:

Paul's: Good prices, nice mechanics. Alder shop for commuters, 5th street for MTB and 6th street for road bikes. I've never been to the west 11th location.

Hutches: Downtown specializes in high end road and mountain bikes, nice and knowledgeable, but very pricey. Springfield location best for BMX. From what I understand, they are part of Collins bike shop.

C.A.T. (Center for Appropriate Transportation): Nice guys, and a great place to find used parts but super slow service and very disorganized. I do not recommend having them wrench on your bike.

Life Cycles: Friendly mechanics, reasonably priced, mostly MTB with a bit of road stuff. Newer shop so somewhat limited stock.

Blue Heron: Very friendly, great commuter stuff, reasonable prices. Not much MTB or road selection.

Wheel Works: Best customer service in my opinion, very friendly and good stock of parts. Have a wide selection of entry, mid and high end road bikes and some mountain bikes. They also sell motor scooters and are slightly more expensive than other shops.

Arrive By Bike: Newer shop that specializes in commuting. Great staff and mechanics, good prices but somewhat limited still being new. They are my shop of choice.

I have no experience with the Bike Barn or Simply Cycle. I also hesitate to mention specific names here on the internet, but I hope you find the info useful!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I like Life Cycles. They pay attention to the details and I've been pleased with their work. All of the mechanics are well-trained and competent. No experience with any other shop though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sizzler, thanks for the detailed rundown. I ride a 29er, Specialized Rockhopper, if that helps anyone offer advice. I had narrowed in on Life Cycles and Paul's, but if anyone knows a specific mechanic in Eugene I'd be all ears.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    Paul's: Good prices, nice mechanics. Alder shop for commuters, 5th street for MTB and 6th street for road bikes. I've never been to the west 11th location.
    I like Wheel Works and Lifecycles, but I do most of my business and repair service at Paul's. I've been going there for years (5th Street and Alder St locations) and trust them, plus they are a great "local" business who really support the community.

5th Street has the best selection of MTB gear, but all the Paul's shops have skilled mechanics. Rod is the manager at 5th street, and likely the best wrench there. Aaron is also good. I also like some of the mechanics at Alder Street alot, and go there regularly as it's most convenient for me. They have a smaller selection of bikes and gear than some of the other locations, but for repairs they know their MTB stuff. Tom (both of them), Joe and Cheyenne are all MTB riders who can wrench well. Also, don't forget Paul's shop on W11th is on the bike path.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    LIFE CYCLES! Levi's the man!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Making fat cool since '71
    Paul's and Life Cycles are the most active in and supportive of MTB'ing in the area if that matters. Plus as mentioned, they have skilled wrenches. They ride MTB's and know their stuff, for the most part. Not every shop mentioned supports the MTB community or has wrenches that actually ride dirt or are a part of the community.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Life Cycles is the ONLY place i will go. Been to waaaay to many incompetent shops and when you find one that never lets you down.....why change! BTW, i drive over an hour one way to have my bike serviced there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Eugene Mechanic Update by OP

So just a quick update. I took my bike to Lifecycle and had a great experience. The shop gave me a discount on parts because I drove a distance to get to Eugene. The work done was priced reasonably. The guys in the shop were great. And Levi even threw in a free shock pump since I had so much work done. I'm very happy. There are other great shops in Eugene, and I'm sure they could have done the work just fine. I'm just saying I'd feel confident recommending Lifecycle to anyone based on my experience in the shop.

As an aside, I know the shop was involved in some way with a situation out in Oakridge that caused some back-and-forth here on the MTBR boards. Please, please, please don't restart that war here . I have no attachment to the Eugene bike community, and I don't have any other experience with Lifecycle other than I took my bike there. All I know is what I've read on the boards. If anyone wants to return to old battles, start your own thread and leave me out of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin

As an aside, I know the shop was involved in some way with a situation out in Oakridge that caused some back-and-forth here on the MTBR boards. Please, please, please don't restart that war here . I have no attachment to the Eugene bike community, and I don't have any other experience with Lifecycle other than I took my bike there. All I know is what I've read on the boards. If anyone wants to return to old battles, start your own thread and leave me out of it.
    So why'd you bring it back up then? That issue was buried and long forgotten weeks ago...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."