Thread: Epic xc in Bend

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Epic xc in Bend

Bend folks,

I'm there the 18th-20th for business and hoping to mix in some pleasure. Looking for some good, long xc singletrack. 4-6 hours worth. Hills are welcome. I'll be on a rigid SS and I'll have lights. Please give some recommendations. Thanks :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anyone?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    You might want to start at Phil's Trailhead and head uphill on either Ben's, Kent's or Phil's trails.

Yo could get up to helipad then go to Skyliner's, North Fork, Mrazek back to Phil's TH if there's no snow at the top of North Fork (but there might be by then).

Alternatively you could go from Helipad down Storm King to the Deschutes River Trail back to Phil's TH via COD and GS.

If you don't already have a trail map then none of this would make much sense. In that case the first thing you should do when you get here is pick up a map from any LBS. Even if there's snow at the middle elevation trails you could still easily put together 4-6 hour loops on the lower (Phil's Triangle) trails.

meatier showers

Too bad

Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    I'm there the 18th-20th
    Too bad you won't be around Central Oregon the following weekend. Barbie Camp happens Oct. 26-28. The weather is going to be PERFECT then!

Whatever. Have fun.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nat, thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I'll pick up a map as soon as I get there.

Sparticus, What's Barbie camp. I'm moving to Medford so Bend isn't going to be that far away.

Wasatch Mountains (Salt Lake City) received 18 inches of snow over the weekend so all of our high terrain is shut down. What's it like out there?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Just read up on BC

Sounds like a wild time! I'll have to see what my new work schedule holds for me.

mtbr member
    I noticed in your title that you mentioned epic, and although this ride is not epic, it is one of my favorite and is a good ride!
    Start at Tumalo Falls or Skyliner Snopark and get yourself to Tumalo Falls. Ride up North Fork to Happy Valley. From here connect to Trail 99 and go to Flagline. Ride Flagline down, then go to Swampy Shelter and ride South Fork down, going back to your car at Tumalo Falls or Skyliner.
    North Fork passes over 7 water falls, Happy Valley is beautiful and then you get into huge trees, and both Flagline and South Fork are super fun downhills!!! It is about a 20 mile loop to Tumalo Falls, add another 5 miles to Skyliner, although that part could be passed up.
    And note, you will probably be riding in snow, but it will be packed down from other riders.. just bring good clothes. If I wasn't going to be on the Umpqua Trail for our last multi-day tour of the season, I would invite myself along!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That sounds fun!!! Thanks Cog. Enjoy the Umpqua. I hope to be on that one in the near future. Being lower in elevation, I assume it remains snow free until later in the Fall. Is that correct?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    ... What's it like out there?

Thanks
    4 out of 5 years October is the best month to be in Oregon's backcountry. But this seems to be that infamous 5th year... the rains hit early and according to the long range weather forecast there's no relief in sight.

But I think that right around the middle of the month the skys will clear and we'll get some more of our traditional excellent Oregon fall weather. Just in time to get out and see the brilliant forest colors.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Afric Pepperbird
    I agree with Nat. if you've never ridden the Phil's complex, it can easily be considered an "epic". Plus, there is no snow (or very minimal). The first time I rode this area, many years ago, with it's many great trails (awesome this time of year!), I nearly threw a rod!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the info guys. I rode the Phils complex while in Bend last Sat. Only had a little time but was able to see about 20 miles of trail. It was good fun and nice to see how the trails dry so quickly after substantial rain.