Keep Singletrack Single

Epic Rides in Central Oregon...

What do you consider EPIC? I usually say the minimum is 40 miles. Some "Epics" for me in Bend are:

Start at Phil's TH and go up to Upper Whoops, Sector 16, Swede Ridge, Flagline Tie, Flagline, down the same or over to Metolius, Trail 99, Mrazek down. Also the same in reverse. I have done both this year. Great rides. Usually 4 to 5 hours or so..About 45 to 55 miles...

Share your Epics or Long Rides... Looking for some different options... Thanks!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    For me epic doesn't always necessarily mean long miles. I rode a trail in the Blue Mts Saturday that was pretty close to epic but only 20 miles out and back, very technical and one of the most scenic places I have ever ridden my bike in Oregon. Last summer I was in Rossland BC and the Seven Summits is definitely epic and it's only 20 miles one way. For me epic can be anything from a scenic 20 miler to a 50+ mile death march. I've done the Creampuff and that was epic for sure but not the most fun I've ever had on a bike.

I'm putting together a ride in SW Washington linking together the Ape Canyon plains of Abraham trails to Windy Ridge over to the Boundary Trail down the Quartz Creek Trail and finish on the Lewis River Trail. I thinking this will be around 50 miles or so and will qualify for Epic status. Just need to get it cleard.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3
    What do you consider EPIC? I usually say the minimum is 40 miles. Some "Epics" for me in Bend are:

Start at Phil's TH and go up to Upper Whoops, Sector 16, Swede Ridge, Flagline Tie, Flagline, down the same or over to Metolius, Trail 99, Mrazek down. Also the same in reverse. I have done both this year. Great rides. Usually 4 to 5 hours or so..About 45 to 55 miles...

I could only wish to do that ride in 4-5 hours! It would take me 6-7.

Or do I really wish that I could? I guess I prefer to stop and smell the roses on my epics. The ride (i.e. scenery, enjoyment, sense of bliss) decides how long it will take me. And sometimes, the slower the go, the better.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Good points! The term "Epic" has a broad definition depending on your filter. Very true. I have been on great rides that were 20-30 miles and just felt "EPIC" or Awesome! Being on my MTB is EPIC!

I just like the challenge of the longer distances. I try to get one in per week. For the rest I just hit the trails and ride the best sections.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I rode a trail in the Blue Mts Saturday that was pretty close to epic but only 20 miles out and back, very technical and one of the most scenic places I have ever ridden my bike in Oregon.
    Willing to share? Even via PM if you don't want to advertise? Every time I drive over the Blues, I think that there must be some killer, unknown riding in them, and it sounds like you've found it.

My favorite Bend epic is a loop that starts at Shevlin Park, cuts across some unnamed trails to Ben's Trail near the bottom, then up Ben's, up Whoops (early morning weekdays only, eyes wide open!), across Skyliners, out Tumalo, up North Fork, across Happy Valley, then down Mrazek. Around 40 miles, and no shuttle needed.

There are undoubtedly more, but in the limited time I've spent in that area, that's my favorite.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Saturday am: Parked at Skyliner TH. Up N. Fork to Happy Valley, Metolius-Windigo around to Flagline, down to Swampy Shelter and down South Forth. Not huge, but some killer views of Broken Top and those fun creek crossings.

Sunday afternoon: Through Tetherow/Old COD on top of the ridge, COD to ELV, left on GS at the top of Pandora's Box, Voodoo at the split all the way over to Ben's. That is reverse of the direction I usually ride the technical stuff on GS and Voodoo. Made for an interesting ride. Then, over to Ben's, up the road next to Whoops, Storm King all the way down across Cascade Lakes hwy to Conklin. Cross the highway to COD and back on top of the ridge through Tetherow.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    For me "epic" does not mean just long miles. Going back and forth on Ben's to Rd. 300 and back six times would be a lot of miles but not epic.

To me, "epic" means a ride that includes long miles PLUS gives a feeling of remoteness, ruggedness, and wilderness. The most epic rides I've done in Central OR have been:
    • Round/Lookout Mtn. loop
    • Bachelor-to-Sisters up over the top via Tr. 99
    • Bend-to-Bachelor-and-back

I'd say Paulina-to-Bend would be epic (but I've never done it). Waldo/Lemish/Charlton would also qualify. Bachelor-Lava-Edison-Bachelor would do it too (I've always had to get hauled off in a car, pooped out, at Edison).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Willing to share? Even via PM if you don't want to advertise? Every time I drive over the Blues, I think that there must be some killer, unknown riding in them, and it sounds like you've found it.
    Heading east on I84 we rode on the left side and on the right side of the freeway.

I'll PM you.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Stroke my hair vest
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3

I had a friend in from Colorado 2 weeks ago to whom I bragged that a 100 mile loop from town was quite possible (though I had never done it). He took me up on it.

Shevlin-Mrazek-M/W- Lava Lakes- Edison Snow Park- North through parking lot to ATV road 300 something- follow past underpass and head west up towards Mt. Bachelor- Dutchman Tie- Flagline- Southfork- Tumalo Creek- Skyliners (At this point we were running out of daylight so did not complete the 100 miles, only a mere 88)-Whoops- Phil's

To complete the 100 would have required

Skyliners- Storm King- Tiddlywinks- Funner- Storm King- DRT.

One of the best parts is that it does not require stashing food and water or a sag wagon. You can stop at the lodge at Lava Lakes (mile 40) for a food and water refill. Then refill your water again at mile 65 at the spigot at the Skyliners camp.
    The ATV road in Edison and the nasty slog up to Mt. Bachelor parking lot are the only non-singletrack sections- 90% singletrack!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=

I'm putting together a ride in SW Washington linking together the Ape Canyon plains of Abraham trails to Windy Ridge over to the Boundary Trail down the Quartz Creek Trail and finish on the Lewis River Trail. I thinking this will be around 50 miles or so and will qualify for Epic status. Just need to get it cleard.[/QUOTE]

I've considered that route. funny

mtbr member

so thats how it went

I was wondering how your "little" expedition went! Now I know how it went and who the "downhillbomber" is! The important question is: did you swim?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Sutherlin Oregon?

My brother lives in Sutherlin Oregon and I want to take a mtb trip to visit him. Anyone know how I can find the best places and people to ride with there??
    Last edited by mtb2sea; 12-16-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: left a word out

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb2sea View Post
    My brother lives in Sutherlin Oregon and I want to take a mtb trip to visit him. Anyone know how I can find the best places and people to ride with there??
    You'd get more responses if you start your own thread; you just resurrected a 3+ year old thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    and a thread about Central Oregon.....

most rides with good views, good amount of miles and good riding buddies can be considered epic to me... flagline down to nwx was awesome this summer though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSP View Post
    Saturday am: Parked at Skyliner TH. Up N. Fork to Happy Valley, Metolius-Windigo around to Flagline, down to Swampy Shelter and down South Forth. Not huge, but some killer views of Broken Top and those fun creek crossings.
    This is also an epic for me. I love this ride. Takes about 3 hours, But just full of great views. 20 miles.

Would McKenzie river trail qualify as central oregon? That's Epic for sure.

I like the Lookout Mountain ride as well. It's about a 20 mile loop if I recall. Adding round mountain to this would make fore a longer ride.

COTA member
    I do this one a few times in the summer:

Mrazek -> Metolius Windago -> Flagline -> Swede Ridge -> Sector 16 -> Whoops -> Ben's. About 50 miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I do this one a few times in the summer:

Mrazek -> Metolius Windago -> Flagline -> Swede Ridge -> Sector 16 -> Whoops -> Ben's. About 50 miles.
    Could not agree more. One of my favorite rides anywhere.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    If you want an epic ride go on Mudslinger.com and do the High Cascade 100 course once the snow melts. A tail kicker and get up early to finish before dark....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ride road bike, Bend to East lake. 65 miles. Meet camper, relax and drink beer. Next day switch to Mt Bike, Ride from East lake up Paulina Peak, and around the rim and then swamp wells back to east bend.45ish miles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's not epic, but it's a great ride if you only have a few hours. Ride up rode besides whoops to skyliner then up to swampy shelter. Ride down through section 16 and end with whoops.
    Attached Images Attached Images