mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Endurance XC Training near Portland

Hey Guys, I am training to compete in the endurance MTB races this year. Its tough randomly finding other people to do long endurance training rides, so I wanted to see if anyone here is interested in joining me?

mtbr member
    Same here. I'm going on year 3 of pretending to be a endurance racer (mostly 100 milers) and am looking to get more serious in the 2014 season so I'm looking for others to train with as well. I'm well on the way in week 6 of the Chris Eatough training plan.

Send me a PM if you want to meet for any rides. I live in North Portland so later in the year when there's more daylight I'll be doing regular early morning and evening rides in Forest Park. Weekends are usually wide open to do long rides. But for now it is mostly countless hours of misery spinning in the basement...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey - I'm in a similar situation, looking for people to ride. Generally get and ride some dirt on Sundays, starting pretty early. Occasionally pull the Sat/Sun big double ride thing. Have done some 50s, a 100, and a couple 24hr solos. Also some sweet bikecamping trips.

Usually alternate between long gravel and MTB rides on Sundays.

I've sent you both my email address, so we can get in touch outside of this forum.

I'll be out of action this weekend, but plan on getting serious about training immediately thereafter.

-Nathan

Metalheadbikerider
    How about starting up a Portland Endurance XC facebook page? I'd definitely "like" it and ride when possible.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's great to see all the interest. I took free-agent's suggestion and created a Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/429341370532236/

I think the group will help in organizing rides, so please join and introduce yourself with which days you're available to ride and which trails you prefer.

If you're not on Facebook, please use this thread and/or PM me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I clicked on the facebook link but didn't see any comments or threads started for rides. I'd like to join in on some of the long mtb rides on the weekends and just bought a new cross bike last weekend to do long gravels rides on. I did the CZ trail last Sunday and Storey Burn road on Saturday if that gives anyone an idea of the types of rides I'm looking at. Love the endurance rides and plan on some bikepacking this spring and summer.
    Economatic: I'd PM you if I knew what that meant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you click on someone's screen name, you get the option for a private message.

Along the banner along the top, next to your screen name, is a "Notifications" tab. There is an inbox underneath that, that will contain all private messages sent to you.

I just sent you one.

Shoot me an email, and I'll include you in my general Sunday gravel/MTB weekends emails - I don't do Facebook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow View Post
    I clicked on the facebook link but didn't see any comments or threads started for rides. I'd like to join in on some of the long mtb rides on the weekends and just bought a new cross bike last weekend to do long gravels rides on. I did the CZ trail last Sunday and Storey Burn road on Saturday if that gives anyone an idea of the types of rides I'm looking at. Love the endurance rides and plan on some bikepacking this spring and summer.
    Economatic: I'd PM you if I knew what that meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyNate View Post
    If you click on someone's screen name, you get the option for a private message.

Along the banner along the top, next to your screen name, is a "Notifications" tab. There is an inbox underneath that, that will contain all private messages sent to you.

I just sent you one.

Shoot me an email, and I'll include you in my general Sunday gravel/MTB weekends emails - I don't do Facebook.
    I just sent you both a PM.

FYI, zasyatkin has added a couple rides as events on the FB page. I think they're on February 8 and March 8.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The Facebook group is private for privacy reasons, so you have to join first to see the comments and events. We do have a couple big rides on the calendar already.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sounds interesting! I tend to migrate to NW Germantown and up climbing some nasty climbs up in those hills. I don't know what I'm doing so it if you guys know something let me know I have done the High Cascade 100 and some other races. I will check the Facebook page out. Great idea!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm certainly interested in some rides.. Not sure of my total availability, but if I can make it, would like to know about the rides.

mtbr member
    Definitely up for joining. I too an new to PDX, currently riding a 29'er SS, and while some of longer rides (>25 miles) might be a stretch for me on my current rig, I am certainly looking for some vertical. (I've reg'd on the FB page and will monitor that as well). I'm in the NE near Alberta and can be available during the day/weekends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    sounds like you're pretty close to me. also ride a ss 29er from time to time.

mtbr member
    sweet - would love to go for a ride soon. I haven't been on the dirt since getting here about a month ago (although I did take my steed out to play around in the snow for a few miles last week.)

Is Tabor/Forest hill interesting at all?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mt Tabor is kinda ok for cross training and just having a jaunt through some trees. Nothing really resembling singletrack that's legal, but ok if you just want to ride around. Forest Hill? Forest Park is across town and has some fireroads, which are kinda dull on a mountain bike. Again, fun to get out and ride around. Not much like singletrack. Powell Butte's got a few okay trails to do some loops. I'd be up to hit any and all. Let me know and I'll try and join you for a ride. PM me?

mtbr member
    PM sent! Looking for a ride maybe Thursday/Friday and most anytime next week! Would love to get on a regular schedule of riding 2-3x/week, even if it is some short runs. Beats the trainer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I also started a group on Facebook for Mid-Week MTB Group Rides: https://www.facebook.com/groups/293261997491212/

It will be a little redundant to the Endurance XC group but I would recommend joining both in case users only post to this new one.