Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330

    End of the world 12/21

    Looks like it is to be by flood.

    Regardless, I've scheduled my first ride of the afterlife for Sat. 12/22... it'll either be hotter 'n hell or typically cold, wet & muddy... whatever... I'm ridin' me bicycle either way.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    97
    LOL. But Genesis 9:11 says that can't be...

    I'll be out there riding. I even signed up for the Strava Rapha Festive 500 challenge (ride 500 km between December 24 and 31.) I'm gonna get wet.

  3. #3
    ronbo613
    Guest
    Darn it, just put a new battery in my watch. It is waterproof though, so I have that going for me, which is something...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Looks like it is to be by flood.

    Regardless, I've scheduled my first ride of the afterlife for Sat. 12/22... it'll either be hotter 'n hell or typically cold, wet & muddy... whatever... I'm ridin' me bicycle either way.
    I'm riding as well, unless I can't score a sitter...or of course my tires melt off before I hit the TH.

    Cheers to "the end"!
    Ride On!

  5. #5

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I'm riding as well, unless I can't score a sitter...or of course my tires melt off before I hit the TH.

    Cheers to "the end"!
    The grips may go first. Yeah, I get to ride my rain bike to work and back. There is a good chance that I will be sporting a jacket and booties too. Will this be the last ride? Is this the last booty that I have to remember? I am not willing to accept those as my last experiences of true joy. I will be riding a mountain bike on December 22nd. Have fun and don't forget to duck.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    The grips may go first. Yeah, I get to ride my rain bike to work and back. There is a good chance that I will be sporting a jacket and booties too. Will this be the last ride? Is this the last booty that I have to remember? I am not willing to accept those as my last experiences of true joy. I will be riding a mountain bike on December 22nd. Have fun and don't forget to duck.
    I actually hope it is raining hard on the 22nd as I just splurged tonight on a very expensive piece of technical gear (an overpriced waterproof jacket, Gore Alp-X) since my old $40 waterproof jacket gave out on me last Monday. Other than that, I had a great ride last Monday thru rain, sleet and snow to blue sky up top with no mud whatsoever and all trail. Was wet, but stayed warm for the most part. Let me know when you want to join next ride if you like.
    Ride On!

  8. #8
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,129
    I've scheduled my ride for Sunday ... in case the Mayans experienced what we, in the new world, like to call an off-by-one error, and the world will really end today ...
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I actually hope it is raining hard on the 22nd as I just splurged tonight on a very expensive piece of technical gear (an overpriced waterproof jacket, Gore Alp-X) since my old $40 waterproof jacket gave out on me last Monday. Other than that, I had a great ride last Monday thru rain, sleet and snow to blue sky up top with no mud whatsoever and all trail. Was wet, but stayed warm for the most part. Let me know when you want to join next ride if you like.
    Where is this no mud you speak of? I've been looking for some rocky trails to ride besides syncline.

  10. #10
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Had a great ride on 12/22... Happy Ride with the Disciples of Dirt. Was gonna ride again today (12/23) but the weather never got better than 39 & pouring rain... so the GF & I saw a matinee instead... Skyfall (the new James Bond flick). Home now for some lobster bisque & crusty garlic bread plus vodka tonics (w/fresh squoze lime juice!) Good weekend... which ain't over yet... more to come I betcha.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  11. #11
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,129

    I'll never be Sparty ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Had a great ride on 12/22... Happy Ride with the Disciples of Dirt. Was gonna ride again today (12/23) but the weather never got better than 39 & pouring rain... so the GF & I saw a matinee instead... Skyfall (the new James Bond flick). Home now for some lobster bisque & crusty garlic bread plus vodka tonics (w/fresh squoze lime juice!) Good weekend... which ain't over yet... more to come I betcha.
    Wow.

    My weekend sucks compared to that.
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Was gonna ride again today (12/23) but the weather never got better than 39 & pouring rain
    Dude you missed a good ride today, at least in my neck of the woods, but sounds about same weather as down south with upper 30's and pouring rain. Actually the condition of the trail I rode was better today than on Sat as the rain melted more snow at around 1000' mark. This particular trail that I ride this time of year is unique in that is seems to gets better with rain by creating a nice shreddy/loamy surface of forested covered pine needles and other forest folliage over the rock based soil. Descended 2600' feet today on two different trails in same proximity (would of rode more due to diminishing daylight). Snow level was about 1200' or so with some brief slushy snow patches at and above that (started ride at 100' sea level). Stay warmed with the right gear on today! Trails were a shreddin' and I didn't want the ride to end as I rode right up to 4:30pm. This is graduallly becomming my favorite time or year to ride as the forest was lit up in green with brown soil/rock contrast and feel like I have the woods to myself, besides a couple of good sized bear tracks I saw in the snow as well, so wasn't alone afterall Sorry no pics, maybe next time. Cheers to winter riding!!!
    Ride On!

  13. #13
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Dude you missed a good ride today ... a couple of good sized bear tracks I saw in the snow as well, so wasn't alone afterall Sorry no pics, maybe next time. Cheers to winter riding!!!
    Pics or it never happened.

    =D
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Pics or it never happened.

    =D
    Alright, maybe next time just for you even though I don't typically like to stop and get off my bike mid-ride as I am always racing against daylight so it seems. I take pics in my noggin'
    Ride On!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    Wow.

    My weekend sucks compared to that.
    X2. Have worked 144 hours over the past 8 days, I get off tomorrow at 7am. Been itching to ride, but the weather has also been crappy until today. Looks like a good day to get out!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520

    For sPARTY!...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Pics or it never happened.

    =D
    Pics from today's trail ride in the Gorge on New Year's. Pretty cold in upper 20's, probably lower with wind, but still fun and great to be out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails End of the world 12/21-img_1187.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1192.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1197.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1198.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1205.jpg  

    Ride On!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520

    For sParty 2!

    More pics from ride in the Gorge on 1/1/13
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails End of the world 12/21-img_1209.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1210.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1211.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1212.jpg  

    End of the world 12/21-img_1215.jpg  

    Ride On!

  18. #18
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,129
    Brrrr! Nice pics, but looks very cold.
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    321
    Jgusta::
    nice pics indeed, Gorge 400 trail? How many miles you get in? I rode myself dizzy doing laps in C Locks... still have not been in Gorge 400.
    Last edited by ttrd; 01-02-2013 at 08:06 AM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    Brrrr! Nice pics, but looks very cold.
    Thanks, actually wasn't too bad weather wise (great to see and feel the sun beaming on my skin on the drive out and back). However, it was the first time I had to wear a skull cap under the helmet and pack a neck/face gator with me for the descents. Other than that, not bad at all, as long as you kept moving of course . I am sure happy to have gotten four good/decent days on the trails in a row this time of year
    Ride On!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    Jgust:
    nice pics indeed, Gorge 400 trail? How many miles you get in? I rode myself dizzy doing laps in C Locks... still have not been in Gorge 400.
    Yep 400, most easterly section for about 5 miles out/back of all single trail with stop at 400 out of Bonnieville on the way back home for a couple of laps of 1.5 mile trail descent that is riding well (minus two big tree downs) after 2 mile climb up dirt rd 770. Rode Wauna as well on Sat and was good, but old snow for most of the last mile up to top of viewpoint. Made for pretty fun, hairball decent on the rocky ridge coming off the point
    Ride On!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    960
    Nice job Jon! I recognize those spots. Thanks for the pics.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  23. #23
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    More pics from ride in the Gorge on 1/1/13
    Damn Dood, NICE! You ever up for showin' somebody around? I rode on NYD, too... but uh... the visuals stayed in my head. I know, I know... pics or it never happened!

    Fourteen members of the Disciples of Dirt rode Larison Creek Trail... at least as much of it as we could. Deep snow turned us back 4 miles up the canyon.

    Anyway your pix are sweet! I hope to ride there someday. Thanks, Mon. Happy New Year to ya.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Damn Dood, NICE! You ever up for showin' somebody around? I rode on NYD, too... but uh... the visuals stayed in my head. I know, I know... pics or it never happened!

    Fourteen members of the Disciples of Dirt rode Larison Creek Trail... at least as much of it as we could. Deep snow turned us back 4 miles up the canyon.

    Anyway your pix are sweet! I hope to ride there someday. Thanks, Mon. Happy New Year to ya.

    --sParty
    Sure thing. Trail conditions in the Gorge are kind of same thing as you guys got right now as well with lower snow as I was only able to get up 2.5 miles due to snow above 700' (5mile round trip), but hit another fun trail section further west due to dry weather for a couple of laps on my way back home to get at least 2hrs of trails in to make the drive worth it for me. Let "poppa#1" (M. Randall) know when you want to ride and we'll head out sometime this winter.

    Cheers,
    JonG.
    Ride On!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •