Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,076

    Echo Red to Red SS gearing

    Could not find any elevation profiles on the net so I thought I would ask what gearing other SS riders are using out there.

    Thanks...Steve

  2. #2
    I should be out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    I used 34/18 on a 26er the one time I was there. For me, that was near perfect on the trails, but not enough for the road portion at the start and finish. Particularly at the finish when it's slightly downhill.

  3. #3
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,076
    Great. Going to set up something similar on the 29er

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    Great. Going to set up something similar on the 29er
    Bumping a 3 year old thread...

    I'm curious what gearing you ran and how it worked out for you. I'm thinking of doing this race and it will be my first on the SS so I'm not sure what to run. I know I won't be close to the podium so I'm just interested in keeping a decent pace without killing the knees.

    If anyone else has done this race on a SS please chime in or PM me.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    47
    32:20 on the 29r will work, you're going to spin like crazy on the road at the start/finish regardless. I'll personally probably be trying a 32:21 this year after a few years of 32:20 to help stay strong, i.e. less fatigued, on the many shorter but steep climbs this race has. Check out strava to find some elevation profiles or the race.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: economatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    126
    Thanks! From what was mentioned above 3 years ago I was originally thinking I'd stick with my current 29er 32:18 setup so I'm glad I asked.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Bumping a 3 year old thread...

    I'm curious what gearing you ran and how it worked out for you. I'm thinking of doing this race and it will be my first on the SS so I'm not sure what to run. I know I won't be close to the podium so I'm just interested in keeping a decent pace without killing the knees.

    If anyone else has done this race on a SS please chime in or PM me.
    I have done it several times SS, but won't be going this year. If the course is counter clockwise, you can get away with a bigger gear as some of the climbs are less steep. The top 10 guys will all be running either 34x16 or 34x17. My best result was with 34x17. The next year I switched up to 34x16, which put me in the top 6 till we got back almost to the road and then I fully blew up and was passed by 5 guys coming into town. I think 34x18-19 would be about perfect for someone who is in shape and wants to crank out the course fast, but isn't going to be racing at the top. You are going to spin a ton if you go more than 34x19 as more than half of the course is a fairly consistent cranking grade.

  8. #8
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,613
    What tires are people running for it?

    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    I have done it several times SS, but won't be going this year. If the course is counter clockwise, you can get away with a bigger gear as some of the climbs are less steep. The top 10 guys will all be running either 34x16 or 34x17. My best result was with 34x17. The next year I switched up to 34x16, which put me in the top 6 till we got back almost to the road and then I fully blew up and was passed by 5 guys coming into town. I think 34x18-19 would be about perfect for someone who is in shape and wants to crank out the course fast, but isn't going to be racing at the top. You are going to spin a ton if you go more than 34x19 as more than half of the course is a fairly consistent cranking grade.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    What tires are people running for it?
    Faster the better. My standard Echo setup was a specialized renegade (almost a slick and so so fast) rear and racing ralph front. If I was doing it this year, I'd go with Schwalbe Thunder Burt's which are as fast as the renegades but have a little more cornering tread. Racing Ralphs, Rocket Rons or Ikons should be the maximum amount of tread needed.

  10. #10
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,613
    Cool, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Faster the better. My standard Echo setup was a specialized renegade (almost a slick and so so fast) rear and racing ralph front. If I was doing it this year, I'd go with Schwalbe Thunder Burt's which are as fast as the renegades but have a little more cornering tread. Racing Ralphs, Rocket Rons or Ikons should be the maximum amount of tread needed.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Cool, thanks.
    My only caveat is if its supposed to rain or snow significantly (doubtful out there, but there is a weather system coming), then I'd go with a slightly nobbier tire, but nothing more than a nobby nic or ardent.

  12. #12
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,637
    I went 32-20 last year and it was a joke. I spun like a squirrel on a wheel. I am skipping the race this year. I have some stuff going. I would go with a racing tire front and rear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •