mtbr member

Echo red to red?

Who went last year, how's the course, expected trail conditions? I am thinking of trying it out this year...

mtbr member
    Course is great, trail conditions should be fast. Last year it was a bit cold. Drive out from Bend was really, really ugly. Black ice everywhere. Well worth it though. Do not miss this race!

-B
    I'm insane

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Agreed, RtR was a great race, well run, fantastic community involvment and the course was super fun; amazing how much up and down there was for such a flat area.

mtbr member
    There was a flat area?!!? Oh yeah, the creekbottom (100 yards or so), and that clifftop bit at mile 25...UPDOWNUPDOWNUPDOWN.
    I'm insane

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Trying to find out more about the xc course...

How technical? If you had a whole quiver of bikes, what would you choose? FS a good idea or too much weight penalty? How much single track? How easy to pass, etc...

Any thoughts you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alembical
    Trying to find out more about the xc course...

How technical? If you had a whole quiver of bikes, what would you choose? FS a good idea or too much weight penalty? How much single track? How easy to pass, etc...
    There is a nuetral roll out from town, mass start, all Cat's. Turns onto dirt road, race starts and about a 5min haul to the single track. From there it will be 1hr30min+ of single track, You can pass, as there are no trees. Some riders may move over, others you'll have to charge around. The trail is fast but somewhat rocky. May be slick with the morining frost melting, so ya might bring tires with some knobs. Semi-slicks might be slick.

I ride a HT, it works fine, the course is smoother than last year. Undulating terrain and some really cool trail riding. But there are plenty who would opt for a FS.. I'm the wrong guy to ask!

Aftr the first 1hr30m of ST you hit a dirt road that takes you to the next ST section, twisty turny, tight ST along the creek. A steep climb out, a loop across the to and back to the road for a TT back to town.

I am thinking the fastest time will be 2hr and some change.

mtbr member
    Awesome, sounds like a fun race, I'm totally stoked for it, haha! For you Portland people, anyone planing on staying the night out there and driving back after the race? Anyone perhaps want to carpool?

mtbr member
    I'm still looking to carpool with someone? It is a longish drive, it would be nice to have someone to share the driving load with after the long tiring race.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    I'm still looking to carpool with someone? It is a longish drive, it would be nice to have someone to share the driving load with after the long tiring race.

I'm still debating... I guess I have to make up my mind tomorrow. What time were you thinking of leaving if you leave on Friday? Planning on camping out?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I'm still debating... I guess I have to make up my mind tomorrow. What time were you thinking of leaving if you leave on Friday? Planning on camping out?
    The weather is looking good, so yeah probably just camp out for the night. I haven't registered either, been on the fence about it too. I would probably leave later in the afternoon.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    The weather is looking good, so yeah probably just camp out for the night. I haven't registered either, been on the fence about it too. I would probably leave later in the afternoon.
    Nope, not gonna make it...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Race was fun. I got my first sun burn of the season.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Goatheads?

I'm resurrecting this thread from last year. I'm coming down from Seattle for this race. Do I need to worry about goatheads this time of year, or can I leave the tire liners at home? Any word on trail conditions? Snow?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm running tubeless, so I can't say whether there were goatheads out. But they definitely exist in those parts and I saw a lot of flats frrom other riders. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, you should worry about goatheads, we were out there 2 weeks ago for a pre-ride and found several embedded in our tires by the time we finished. Get a tubeless setup and forget about it.