Tribe member

Eastside Bend trails?

So I love over on the eastside around 27th and Reed. Looking at Google Earth, there look to be some trails right around Stevens Rd. Is there anything worth riding over on this side?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I've never heard anyone talk about riding over in that area. My guess is that any dirt roads are 4" or deeper dust, but if you check it out let us know.

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd love to see some trails near Stevens Rd., but, alas, know of none.

Horse Butte/Swampy Wells trails are the closest to the east side (and Horse Ridge, of course. I like Horse Butte better). They are great in the spring and late autumn. Do a search here, you'll find lots of posts about these trails.

Tribe member

Eastside Bend trails?

Thanks! That's good to know. Have read about the Horse Ridge area and will probably check it out next spring when west side stuff isn't available to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Horse Butte is in your back yard and is nice fall through spring. The west half of the state land south of Stevens has a some roads that make a fun after work spot to get out on the bike but no single track. The east end of that property is sandy.
    Have Fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What they^ said. We could certainly use more people riding the Horse Butte / Swampy Wells trails, too. Fun trails, actually.

mtbr member
    I'm straight out where Stevens turns into Ward. This time of year us east siders have to drive to the westside to ride, but it's nice come winter, to be able to shoot out quick to Horse Ridge, Horse Butte, etc areas.

You can easily ride from where you are to Horse Butte trails in the Fall/Winter/Spring.

I actually bet with the volume of water we just got, those trails would ride nice right now.
    Bend, Oregon

Tribe member
    That's great to here guys! I'll probably check them out later this winter to see what they're all about. Will be perfect to ride from the house.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I live at the bottom of Woodside Ranch. Anyone know if there are any ways to get up into the trails from Woodside Ranch or Tekampe? I'm always in a hurry, with limited time, so I drive up China Hat and head off there, where the trail crosses the road, fun trail uphill from China Hat. How is the trail below China Hat?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    there is a nice loop below china Hat. Thats the after work ride that usually do. there were some threads here that had some good maps too. and there is a east side epic from Newberry Crater all the way in on Swamp Wells. Have not had time to hit that this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsiderider View Post
    there is a nice loop below china Hat. Thats the after work ride that usually do. there were some threads here that had some good maps too. and there is a east side epic from Newberry Crater all the way in on Swamp Wells. Have not had time to hit that this year.
    Any way to get over there from the top of Tekampe or from anywhere in Woodside Ranch, or is there anything other than from the Horse Butte trail head and where Swampy Wells and Coyote Loop cross China Hat? LOTS of land out there between Woodside Ranch and Horse Butte that could support more winter trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There is unlimited room for more trails. I used to live on Bobcat road and would ride into that area off some FS roads. Do some google earthing and see how close you are to the old logging roads. You should be able to hook up something off Tecampe or Woodside that will get you to the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, I'll try that after the next good soaking. I will try just going off Tekampe. I live at the bottom of Woodside Ranch (not in the subdivision, proper), so I will probably go over and head of Tekampe. I think they made Woodside Ranch with a private buffer area around it and are pretty anal about keeping people from heading out into the woods from the subdivision (I was hoping someone might know of a dedicated pass-through for the residents). But I know of ways to head out into the USFS roads from Tekampe. I had hoped someone might know of a secret single-track (maybe something to build??) rather than taking the USFS roads, but they will work, and it's not a long ride.

By the way, for those looking into this, here are links to the mtbproject and ormtb mapping for the Coyote Butte trail, and you can see the Swampy Wells trail on it, too. I have rode the Swampy Wells trail for short rides but have not gone as far as to make the loop with Arnold Ice Cave or Coyote, nor have I done the lower trails (Coyote). Swampy Wells is very fun.

Coyote Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Bend, OR
    Horse Butte

mtbr member
    I have a feeling this Fall/Winter/Spring there will be more traffic out that way, as the trails do work well on those "frozen days", and they are more diverse than the Mason area.
    Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Eastside trip report:

Road CX bike out through Coyote Loop/Boyd Cave/Arnold Ice cave on Labor Day AM. Recent rain set up trails pretty good even on skinny tires. One sandy section, only one horse, and a entire flock of silver striders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Silver striders ? fun CX country out there. Would like to take the dirt road off Gosney to Pine Mt sometime.

mtbr member
    East side trails are great for views. Not sure if there will ever be maintenance to cut back some of the giant clumps of grass and weeds along the edge (peddle grabbers), but it keeps you on your toes for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Silver striders = retired folks surprised to see a bike on the hiking trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Did Coyote Loop last night. Trail in great shape after the sprinkling this past week (except for those peddle-grabbing grass clumps). Damn, it's getting dark earlier now. But when I got home, it looked as though the full moon would be bright enough to allow riding without a light. I'm guessing all the trails will start getting really nice after this weekend.