a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Early December visit to Portland/Eugene/Hood River

I just found out that I'll be heading to Eugene from NC for a very short business trip in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of flying out on a Saturday and would have Saturday late afternoon and Sunday until about 4pm to do something fun.

Questions:
    1) Is there any XC still worth riding in early December or should I bag riding and just go siteseeing?
    2) How about the McKenzie River Trail in particular? I just read the "moving to Portland" thread and realized that's right near Eugene where I'll be.
    3) If riding just isn't likely to happen, I would want to go to Hood River for a night since I used to be a hard core windsurfer. I've never been there and want to go. If I do drive out there, what are the sites I need to stop and see along the way? I recall there's some beautiful waterfall along the way, but can't think of the name. How about a hotel/inn suggestion?
    4) should I go to Hood River AND ride somewhere near there? That would be cool to do both.
    5) I like the Portland Timbers. How can I ride, see Hood River, and play soccer with the Timbers all in half a day?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    We are currently cold and wet. Soon will be snow in may parts of the state
    1) Oregon has great MTB rides and Eugune is close to a lot of rides. Be advised to hook up with a guide and be prepared to do some traveling.
    2) McKenzie river is awsome, but is really summer/fall ride.
    3) Hood river has both Wind surfing (all year) and good MTB rides. Check distance as this is not close to Eugue 9atleast 3-4 hour drive)
    4) Timbers season is over until next year...

In any case you will enjoy Oregon.
    Hope this helps,

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Thanks. Yes, I realize Eugene is far from HR.

Are there any specific trails that would still be "good" in a couple of weeks that you can suggest? I realize that McKenzie River is probably a no-go by now.

Most likely I'll just have to do the siteseeing thing, but that's ok. I ain't windsurfing in the gorge in December I used to be hard core enough to have considered it, but I haven't been in so long that I need to ease back into it with sunny and warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool View Post
    We are currently cold and wet. Soon will be snow in may parts of the state
    1) Oregon has great MTB rides and Eugune is close to a lot of rides. Be advised to hook up with a guide and be prepared to do some traveling.
    2) McKenzie river is awsome, but is really summer/fall ride.
    3) Hood river has both Wind surfing (all year) and good MTB rides. Check distance as this is not close to Eugue 9atleast 3-4 hour drive)
    4) Timbers season is over until next year...

In any case you will enjoy Oregon.
    Hope this helps,
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Often there are stillgood rideable trails in oakridge in early december, which is the same distance as the mckenzie from Eugene. Call the Willamette mountain mercantile to confirm when you get in.

For hood river, the riding at syncline is often great in December.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hook up with the Disciples of Dirt(Eugene mtb club) .There is always somewhere to roll .They will know .Whypass ,etc...as far as the "waterfall" goes that would probably be Multnomah Falls .I second the great riding that may be possible @Syncline in December .
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    if you make it to hood river, be sure to get to Double Mountain brewery. Its got some of the best craft beers around.

And Syncline is a very fun area and usually rideable for most of they year. Its got great drainage for when it rains, but every now and then the snow level will creep down to close it out.

mtbr member
    contact randy at oregon adventures if you are interested in a guided trip around the oakridge area at:
    Welcome to Oregon Adventures | Oregon Adventures

here is the dod web site:
    Disciples of Dirt Mountain Bike Club
    if you post on their yahoo groups site you might get some local help. i would recommend hitting black rock for sure even if its wet it's worth the trip. bring rain gear and fenders and prepare to get muddy if you ride anywhere in the valley this time of year. if you want to ride around the salem area or want a guide at black rock pm me.

Making fat cool since '71
    Randy is "closed" for the year. Truthfully, it's a crap shoot that (this...) time of year as to what's going to be responsibly ridden. The snow is closing off the high goods and impeding ability to get to the "top" of even some summer staples so...it's highly unlikely anything "epic" will be possible in Oakridge or the valley. However...once in a while the sun comes out for a week and we get a *****in' window to get some goods.

Having said that...our "winter" riding stash (WhyPass) is ALWAYS good to go and worth riding. If you skip the gorge/Portland option and wanna ride, give us a shout as mentioned. We can get you dirty, sweaty and stinky.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    I don't ride much in the winter, so take this for what it is worth.

Black Rock and Post Canyon can be a sloppy mess when it is wet.

I'd only ride Syncline in the wetter months if we've had an extended freeze or it's been dry for some time.

The only trail close to Portland that you'll not see mud in the winter months is Three Corner Rock. You can count on this one to never be muddy. The Wilson River Trail can be a solid choice in the winter too, but you will see some mud.

If it were me, I'd take the D.O.D. guys up on the offer to ride at their secret stash trails out side of Eugene, it'll be muddy for sure though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.