What day are we riding?

Eagle Caves in The Dalles

Any news on if the Eagle Caves trails in The Dalles are open and rideable? Last I heard they were getting closed to bikes due to private property issues.

MattSavage
    Shut down as far as I know, even the Facebook page is gone... Kind of BS considering the land was donated to the FS for multiuse recreation and none of the trails were really on private property, they just were adjacent to peoples backyards... If anything, many of those property owners were encroaching on and illegally accessing the utility easement that the trails ran through, i.e. the sketchy ass horse trailer with the extension cords running to it...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

What day are we riding?
    Hmmm. May have to swing by on the next trip to Portland and check things out.

mtbr member
    I actually think that its still there and available, there was issues with neighboring land owners and their "not in my back yard" mentality. I would not advertise riding there, conditions or anything else publicly but I don't believe that its illegal either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Talking to a local shop about it a couple weeks ago it sounds like it wasn't worth going... i.e., even the parking situations had a lot of non-municipal, 'hostile to bikers' signage that the loc's had put up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreadi View Post
    Talking to a local shop about it a couple weeks ago it sounds like it wasn't worth going... i.e., even the parking situations had a lot of non-municipal, 'hostile to bikers' signage that the loc's had put up.
    I found it to be exactly the opposite, I think that with a little caution, respect and trail ethics you are fine. Just dont publicize your rides IMHO.

What day are we riding?
    Here is what I got back from the Forest Service:

Hi,
    These trails are open, However, we do not recognize it as an official Forest Service trail system. You can venture there at your own risk and you need to be aware of adjacent private land. Thanks,

Diana Camacho
    Information Receptionist
    Columbia River Gorge NSA
    902 Wasco Ave. Suite 200
    Hood River, OR 97031
    (541)308-1700

ronbo613
    I think that with a little caution, respect and trail ethics you are fine. Just dont publicize your rides IMHO.