mtbr member

Dutchman to Sisters on MTW

Anyone ridden this? What is it like beyond Happy Valley?

mtbr member
    Willem has ridden. I don't think he liked it. Horses ruin the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Rode it a few years ago. Cool to be able to say I rode from sunriver to sisters that way, but won't do it again. Very primitive trail and not really much more than an unmaintained horse trail.

mtbr member

RE: Dutchman to Sisters on MTW

That is exactly what I am planning. Leave Sunriver and ride to Sisters. What route did you take? What was the mileage?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I rode it several years ago. It's not something I care to do again unless the top section gets bedded in better because there was about a seven mile long section of deep sand.

Mt. Bachelor to Sisters, Oregon ride report

mtbr member

Is the forest road that goes along it a better option than the MTW?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by sunoly View Post
    Is the forest road that goes along it a better option than the MTW?
    FS 310? I haven't ridden the length of it but I've ridden it on both this end and that end and if those were any indication then I'd say it's a better choice. Plenty of 4-wheelers drive it.

Edit: FS 370

mtbr member

What about the ride from the top down to Sisters? MTW any good in that section?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    What about the ride from the top down to Sisters? MTW any good in that section?
    Trail 99 from 3 Creeks to Sisters used to be one of the best descents in this area, but I believe the Pole Creek fire may have done some heavy damage to it.

Before the fire:
    Barbie Camp - Saturday - Trail 99 group

mtbr member

Is it still passable or best to find another route?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Is it still passable or best to find another route?
    That I don't know. I believe the USFS has limited Pole Creek access via the forest road from Sisters, but I'm not sure what that means for riding in from above on the trail. I thought I saw a pic or two from Willem either here on on his facebook page from that part of the trail a few weeks ago. Maybe he'll check in soon.

mtbr member

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.
    If you go please report back about the conditions.

I think we logged 40 miles from Bachelor to Sisters, so tack on an extra 10-12 from Sunriver I guess. What route would you take from Sunriver to Dutchman?

mtbr member

I was thinking DRT, Storm King, Skyliner, North Fork, MTW and then 370 up and over.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    That I don't know. I believe the USFS has limited Pole Creek access via the forest road from Sisters, but I'm not sure what that means for riding in from above on the trail. I thought I saw a pic or two from Willem either here on on his facebook page from that part of the trail a few weeks ago. Maybe he'll check in soon.
    I hiked in the Pole Creek burn area a month ago, and there were tons of trees down. And it was a completely burned over moonscape. Literally no vegetation or tree-cover at all. Very unappealing. Not sure if the horse crowd has cleared MW itself yet, but I doubt it.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I hiked in the Pole Creek burn area a month ago, and there were tons of trees down. And it was a completely burned over moonscape. Literally no vegetation or tree-cover at all. Very unappealing. Not sure if the horse crowd has cleared MW itself yet, but I doubt it.
    Such a shame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That is exactly what I am planning. Leave Sunriver and ride to Sisters. What route did you take? What was the mileage?
    Route we took - River Trail, Storm King, Funner to Wanoga, crossed over Hwy took the cut-through that goes to the weird trail that eventually ends up at Swampy, then up Flagline (this was in late September), Met-Win all the way around to Happy Valley, then continued on Met-Win/Tr99 to 3 Creeks. From there, we planned on riding Met-Win out towards Black Butte, but we couldn't find the trail, so we rode the road down to the Peterson Rdg system and made our way into town.

Nat
    Solo contendre

42t
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This was a good Sunriver to Sisters ride:

Bike Ride Profile | 57miles near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

I don't really mind the trail from Happy Valley to Three Creek Lake. It's not used a lot, and it shows, but it feels a little remote and that makes it fun, IMO.

mtbr member

I ended up riding this on Thursday. Thanks for all the suggestions. It was very helpful. I rode from Sunriver on the drt and then Storm King, Skyliner, North Fork, MTW, FR 370, Mtw, FR 16 and the Petersen Ridge into Sisters. It ended up being 61 miles.

The only problem area was the MTW after 3 Creeks Lake turnoff. It is really interesting to see the fire damage but the trail is in terrible shape. There are signs of trail restoration but right now it is a sandy mess. Eventually, I got frustrated enough that I cut over to 16 on a logging road. All other parts of the ride were great. Thanks again everyone .

Afric Pepperbird
    I ended up riding this on Thursday. Thanks for all the suggestions. It was very helpful. I rode from Sunriver on the drt and then Storm King, Skyliner, North Fork, MTW, FR 370, Mtw, FR 16 and the Petersen Ridge into Sisters. It ended up being 61 miles.

The only problem area was the MTW after 3 Creeks Lake turnoff. It is really interesting to see the fire damage but the trail is in terrible shape. There are signs of trail restoration but right now it is a sandy mess. Eventually, I got frustrated enough that I cut over to 16 on a logging road. All other parts of the ride were great. Thanks again everyone .
    Congrats! That would take me a good 10-12 hours to do that!

Yes, it's sad to see the Pole Creek Burn wasteland. And much harder trying to ride it, I'm sure!

mtbr member
    Damn dude, you were bookin! I go on a 10 or 20 mile MTB ride and am lucky to have an average speed over 10 mph

Quote Originally Posted by 42t View Post
    This was a good Sunriver to Sisters ride:

Bike Ride Profile | 57miles near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

I don't really mind the trail from Happy Valley to Three Creek Lake. It's not used a lot, and it shows, but it feels a little remote and that makes it fun, IMO.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Here is how it looks on MW in the Three Creeks area. Dust, ash, and dry as a bone.... Sad. Hope it regenerates. Dutchman to Sisters on MTW-mw-sisters-3.jpgDutchman to Sisters on MTW-mw-sisters-1.jpg

Did this ride in July. Here is the Strava profile for it:

Bike Ride Profile | 3x Flats!!! :-( Still beats any day in the office!!! near Bend | Times and Records | Strava

I took Rd. 370 to Three Creeks from the MW/Mrazek intersection. Better than the MW trail. Way too much horse damage.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good info. Last year I did a "Pedal to the pub" from Bend to Sunriver Brewing via the DRT. The wives met us in Sunriver and shuttled us home.

This year we are doing something similar from Bend to Three Creeks Brewing via Mrazek and the FR 370, FR 16, then Peterson Ridge. It looks like around 45 miles from my house near Entrada Lodge.

This thread removed any doubts about conditions on the Metolius Windigo Trail.Thanks for posting the details.