M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Dry trails within driving distance of PDX?

Hey all. I'm visiting the family over break and thinking about renting a bike for the day if I can swing it, and if there are any good condition trails. What's rideable? I was thinking about jetting east to Hood River and vicinity, but would love to do some real NW forest riding, since that's what I miss. But I figure Tillamook and and anywhere on the West side of the cascades are super muddy right now.

Would prefer to keep it under a 2 hour drive from East Portland. Any tips?

Thanks!

FKA Malibu412

Rough riding week ahead

Forecast is mostly rain, possibly 2-3 inches with the coming storm, and showers with the snow level dropping making even the east side a mess. About the best you're going to do is look for holes in the weather and try to hit trails that drain well. With the forecasted pattern, nothing fit the bill for me. Sucks. Spring time in the PNWet.

If it lets up later in the week, I'd consider Siouxon in SW WA or check on things over around Bend, possibly some East Bend trails such as Maston or Horse Ridge. Another possibility is Peterson Ridge out in Sisters. These are more than your 2 hours drive but probably about as good as it's going to get.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

MattSavage
    Wrt is in great shape! Best wet side trail when it's wet. Almost no mud, even when it's pouring.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Like mentioned earlier Wilson River Trail and Siouxon Creek, I'll add 3 Corner Rock.

I typically don't ride during the winter but have gotten a few quick rides on the Gales Creek, Storeyburn, Sictor Lars loop during downpours this winter and it's actually not bad, a little greasy in spots, but not muddy.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks. So consensus would be that Syncline will probably be a mess as well? Not as foresty, but it looks like I should take what I can get. I've never ridden it any time but summer and early fall so I have no idea how it drains.

ronbo613
    Contrary to popular belief, Syncline does gets muddy(and slippery) when it rains. Because it is mostly decomposed rock, it drains quickly, but there's some dirt in there. It usually takes a day or two to stabilize after a heavy rain, and it looks like a lot of rain coming this week.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Contrary to popular belief, Syncline does gets muddy(and slippery) when it rains. Because it is mostly decomposed rock, it drains quickly, but there's some dirt in there. It usually takes a day or two to stabilize after a heavy rain, and it looks like a lot of rain coming this week.
    There are a lot of times Syncline needs to not be ridden due to mucky trails. Rattlesnake Ridge on top gets absolutely greasy. The worst condions are when the freeze thaw cycle happens in the winter. I got a tick and my dog got four yesterday up there...soon the Poison Oak will shut that bad boy area down for me until late fall. The hikers were in full force yesterday....a gillion cars with couples with sticks.

Trail 400 does pretty well in the wet despite the annual 90" of rain in that part of the Gorge.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, currently really storming. I'll see where things stand on Thursday or Friday, my last days here. Not the end of the world if I don't get to ride, I was just wondering if some places were better than others in the wet. If I still lived here I'd just road ride, but if I'm going to shell out 50+ bucks for a rental it's gotta be mountain. Trail 400 is nice but probably not worth paying for a rental to ride it from what I remember.

ronbo613
    I went for a road ride in the hills around my house earlier today. It rained the whole time. Felt like I was riding in the Ronde van Vlaanderen.
    Looks like Tuesday or Wednesday will be your best chances to get outdoors.

mtbr member
    Screw renting the bike, rent some skis. Skiing was amazing Saturday and the rest of the week looks good as well.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I like 400

Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    Yeah, currently really storming. I'll see where things stand on Thursday or Friday, my last days here. Not the end of the world if I don't get to ride, I was just wondering if some places were better than others in the wet. If I still lived here I'd just road ride, but if I'm going to shell out 50+ bucks for a rental it's gotta be mountain. Trail 400 is nice but probably not worth paying for a rental to ride it from what I remember.
    I really enjoy the ride from Cascade Locks up to Wauna Point and then down the other side and back...good 2 hour ride. But, I am probably one of the few who like it because I rarely see anyone but hikers....