mtbr member

Driving through Oregon, looking for suggestions

At the end of the month I will be driving from California to Washington. I would like to stop in Oregon for a couple of days and enjoy some biking. My girlfriend says there will be snow and we won't be able to ride anywhere. Can someone tell me what it really is like at the end of March. I was hoping I could go to Bend, but I am open to going to other places along the way to Seattle (nothing that will divert too far from the drive up). Just want to find a place to ride for a couple of days thats all, not interested in anything else.

FKA Malibu412

Bend good the end of this March

Trails around Bend such as Phils, COD, Storm King, Deschutes River Trail as well as several others, should be mostly clear. Snow pack is thin this year especially at mid-elevation levels and virtually nonexistent further from the major peaks.

Check ahead, though, before your trip as this may be subject to change. Call a bike shop in Bend to see if anyone is riding these trails or check with the Deschutes area ranger stations.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll let others fill you in on Bend conditions. Right now, there is very little snow below 4000' feet. You should be able to find good riding in Oakridge (there was a recent thread on this). Syncline near hood river is in great shape, as are the sandy river trails off of Highway 26. I would expect good conditions in southern Oregon as well. You may have to just pick a route that works for you, but the winter riding conditions have been excellent

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

not much snow, if you stay low

Yeah, Sandy Ridge is primo right now, conditions could not be any better. Not too far off I-5 (maybe 45 min). Blackrock is probably off the hook as well. At the end of this month, just stick to the low trails and you'll be fine. Forget about Mt St Helens trails this month (ape canyon is in a lot of guide books for example).

I wonder about Mary's Peak? That is pretty sweet and close to I-5. Not sure how long it holds snow... north facing trails from what I remember. And I think it's pretty tall.

There is plenty of riding this time of year. You just can't ride everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Three Corner Rock (SW Washington) one hour from PDX and the Wilson River Trail(Tillamook State Forest) also one hour from PDX, are in dynamite shape right now.You could not ask for better trail conditions at these locations.Plenty of climing and great descents with several outstanding views.Cheers,Michael
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Ashland trails are doable from 4 corners down. You can pedal up from 4 corners and catch more single track. Snow levels can definitely come down by the end of March though.
    Trails are minutes from I-5. Stop By Bear Creek Bikes exit 19 on I-5.

mtbr member
    thanks for the quick responses. I will chime in a few days before I head out for more current conditions but this will help set a plan for now.

mtbr member
    A friend just mentioned black rock, can anyone elaborate about that place and if it will be rideable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Black Rock....Best freeride in Oregon IMO....accessible usually year round. Easy 45 - 60 minutes from I-5 with skills for all levels. Check it out at:

www.brmba.org

Slow down through the youth camp....we depend on them for access!!

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    if you are wanting to trail ride i could be a guide for you on the North Umpqua Trail system. Its over 80 Miles of Epic singletrack that is only a 30-40 min drive from I5 which is were i suspect you will be traveling. Black rock is an amazing place to freeride, but that is all it is. if your girlfriend doesent enjoy getting airtime, she will be pretty bored watching you hit huge gaps all day. If she is a capable biker, than there are plenty of not so agressive lines you can take at blackrock. Ashland would be a good time, but from 4 corners its taking off 1/2 of the mountain. Get in touch if you want any more info. Shoot me an email info@ilovesingletrack.com