mtbr member

Does Bend have year-round riding?

Hey all. My wife and I are planning on moving out of AZ next year. Bend so far is on top of the list of places we're considering. What is the riding season like up there? I've heard that you can ride year-round...is it true?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you値l crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes you can ride in the Bend area all year, there is more terrain available some years than others, depending on where the snow line is but the roof racks tend to change from bikes to ski's and snowboards in the winter. The high trails out of Dutchamn (Snopark), Eddison (Snopark) , Wanoga (Snopark) are all shut once the snow flies and sometimes stay shut late into the spring with more trails opening up as the snow line melts out. Some of the lower Phils trails are available mid winter on some years and none on other years. East of town there is Horse Ridge and Butte as well as Maston and some developing areas outside of Redmond.

I love to ride but I moved to Bend for the winter, and Bend is really a winter town in my eyes. There lots to do here when it's not snowing, Mtn. biking, some white water kayaking and rafting (not lots locally but it's fairly good) and world class rock climbing just up the road but winter is 8 months long on a good year. Once the snow flies and a pack builds up it's game on!

Oh, and there's beer!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Yes, you can ride year 'round if you must, but you'd be missing out on a lot of really fun winter sports. We moved from Tucson over a decade ago and it took me a couple of years to figure that out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Yes, you can ride year 'round if you must, but you'd be missing out on a lot of really fun winter sports. We moved from Tucson over a decade ago and it took me a couple of years to figure that out.
    Yeah, I know there's lots of stuff to do in the winter, and I'm really excited about that. Having lived in Sedona for the last 10 years, I've really missed the winter sports that I grew up doing. I've tried to ski Flag a couple of times, but the hill was already at max capacity before they even opened. After not having skied but being able to ride 3 times a week for the last 10 years makes me feel a bit more like a biker than a skier.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you値l crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The trails that can be ridden in the winter are nice to get your bike fix in every once in a while during the winter, but are not the same as the regular summer trails here. There are like 4 smaller networks of trails that can be ridden weather depending during most of the winter. I get bored with the winter trails pretty fast and usually switch to cross country and skate skiing during the winter.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Buy a fatbike, they are all the rage. That would indeed allow for winter riding, in the snow.

Afric Pepperbird
    Road riding is great here in the winter. Lots of scenic, rural rides.

mtbr member
    Yeah...I'm not much for road riding. Something about being on a 14lb bike trying to share a space with a couple thousand pounds of metal being driven by somebody texting just gives me the willies...not to mention it's more fun in the dirt! Looks like I'll be investing in some skis...
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I road all the way into jan... then the snow came pretty hard down low and shut things down, not to mention I was getting tired of riding in 5 deg weather

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've lived in places with year round riding (SoCal) and find I actually like the winter break we get up here. Usually by October I am not super sad to hang up the bike and grab the skis. I don't know how anyone survives northwest winters without skiing (or some other form of snow-based fun).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't like riding in the colder temps. I usually start in June and end in October. Dec-May are for snow sports.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You will find year round riding available in Bend, but the trails are at the opposite end of the spectrum from Sedona. My in-laws live in Sedona, so we've gone down there to visit and ride yearly for over a dozen years. Where Sedona is rocky, technical and slow, Bend is for the most part, smooth, fast and flowy. There are great trails available riding from town, just like Sedona. The higher mountain trails tend to be rougher, more scenic and steeper. Access to the Ochocos, NUT, MRT, Oakridge, Hood River, etc. is pretty easy and provides a lot of variety. Also Bend has COTA (a very fine IMBA chapter), and a FS District that looks at MTB trails in a positive light. But if you love the Sedona tech, you might be bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcaplan View Post
    But if you love the Sedona tech, you might be bored.
    Thanks for the info. I love the Sedona tech, but need a change. This place is becoming too much of a retirement community for us. Also, we want to move someplace with seasons- the idea of skiing again is exciting. It sounds like I might wind up looking for a new bike and a set of skis...
    - Julie Furtado

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    It sounds like I might wind up looking for a new bike and a set of skis...
    It sounds like you'll fit right in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    It sounds like you'll fit right in.
    Now only if I can get enough for my current bike to buy another bike AND skis, I'll be in business...
    - Julie Furtado

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by dcaplan View Post
    Also Bend has COTA (a very fine IMBA chapter)
    Just to clarify, COTA is an IMBA "Affiliate" Club, not a Chapter. Big difference. Chapters give 60% of their membership dues to IMBA, while COTA keeps all that local. Thanks for the props!
    "溺ay your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    Just to clarify, COTA is an IMBA "Affiliate" Club, not a Chapter. Big difference. Chapters give 60% of their membership dues to IMBA, while COTA keeps all that local. Thanks for the props!
    And let's keep it that way.