Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Nat
    Solo contendre
    Maybe the elk were just out for a run? Keeping fit for the elk laydeez and all that?

highly visible
    I believe a drunken hunter did commit a fatal shooting on Mt. Hood not too many years ago ... might be an exaggerated stereotype, but it does happen.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    I don't think so. They were in full flight as I was approaching and were running right to left not away. Could have been anything that spooked them, but blood thirsty cougar makes a much better story -- 'course then I probably would have seen the cat too. Rabid squirrel?
    They either smelled or heard you. An elk will usually run perpendicular to your scent cone. Unless of course they don't. The only thing I can say about elk is when you think they will do one thing they will do the opposite. So disregard my previous statement.

On second thought: there was a cat chasing them! I can't believe you didn't see it! (and you survived!)
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
    An elk will usually run perpendicular to your scent cone.
    "Scent cone." Cool term! Some of us have a bigger one than others.

highly visible
    My scent cone is pointier than yours.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    "Scent cone." Cool term! Some of us have a bigger one than others.
    Just a minute there Nat, I washed all my stuff pre-ride, honest. Maybe they didn't like my brand of fabric softener. May be unscented would allow me to get a little closer next time.

Interesting stuff, though, thanks Fly Rod for the info.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I wonder if my scent cone points forward or backward?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Arm yourself

Why not pack while you ride. Not only should riders be concerned about cougars, bears, and the occasional meth-head, but now some liberal knuckleheads have re-introduced wolves back into the Northwest.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by slopefish View Post
    ...but now some liberal knuckleheads have re-introduced wolves back into the Northwest.
    HUH?

and what's wrong with wolves?
    you have a sheep ranch to be worried about?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    HUH?

and what's wrong with wolves?
    you have a sheep ranch to be worried about?
    Don't sweat it, highdelll. This user is a chump newbie. He'll not last here long.

Even if he did have a sheep ranch, today's welfare rancher is so freakin' lazy. What did ranchers do in the 1800's? They kept constant vigil and scared the wolves away (shooting them only as a last resort). Now they're too lazy to patrol, and ask for reimbursement handouts.

Like the Repugs say, "welfare sucks!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Wacked

You guys are wacked. The point was not to discuss your sheep fetish, but rather to bring up a viable way the mt. bikers could defend themselves against threats...whatever it may be.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by slopefish View Post
    You guys are wacked. The point was not to discuss your sheep fetish, but rather to bring up a viable way the mt. bikers could defend themselves against threats...whatever it may be.
    right...there should have been no comments about 'liberal knuckleheads'...

FWIW, Repopulating the over-killed wolf into its original habitat is a GOOD thing...

If you disagree, well, go ahead ...kill a bison while you at it, or a native...shoot, why not have your slave do it for you?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Nat
    Solo contendre

mtbr member
    i'd rather be attacked and pooped through a cougar than ran over by a log truck on the way to the trail
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by yourideit View Post
    i'd rather be attacked and pooped through a cougar than ran over by a log truck on the way to the trail
    Couldn't have stated it better myself.

Being fed to and subsequently pooped by a cougar... hmmm... may be cheaper than cremation. I like that idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thankfully we don't have these in Oregon...

Mountain Biker gets nailed by Antelope (HD FOOTAGE) - YouTube

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy View Post
    I believe a drunken hunter did commit a fatal shooting on Mt. Hood not too many years ago ... might be an exaggerated stereotype, but it does happen.
    And unfortunately we just had a fatal shooting by a (not drunk, apparently) hunter over the weekend:

A 20-year-old man was killed Friday night when a hunter fired at what he thought was a bear near Silver Falls State Park.

And this wasn't off in the deep BLM or Forest Service outback, where you expect to see more hunters than everyone else this time of year. It was in Silver Falls State Park, a popular place for bikes (I have ridden here in the past year, BTW) and hikes. Yikes.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    And unfortunately we just had a fatal shooting by a (not drunk, apparently) hunter over the weekend:

A 20-year-old man was killed Friday night when a hunter fired at what he thought was a bear near Silver Falls State Park.

And this wasn't off in the deep BLM or Forest Service outback, where you expect to see more hunters than everyone else this time of year. It was in Silver Falls State Park, a popular place for bikes (I have ridden here in the past year, BTW) and hikes. Yikes.
    I read about that! His poor 12 y/o grandson had to watch a man die too, dammit. Active duty Marine dies while going for a hike in a State Park, WTF???

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I heard about that right before I went for a ride on Saturday. Depressing that a hunter could be that careless. Of course, then I heard a bunch of gun shots while riding up Upper Whoops/sector 16. I had a hard time focusing on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I read about that! His poor 12 y/o grandson had to watch a man die too, dammit. Active duty Marine dies while going for a hike in a State Park, WTF???
    Bogus....I don't get it. How in the hell can somebody mistake a bear for a person? These peoples entire genetic line should be sterilized.

mtbr member
    I ride Silver Falls all the time, it's 25 min from my house.

I thought I saw a bear there once while riding but it turned out to be a big tree stump.

Anyway, extremely terrible that this happened. I'm sure there will be an investigation into it.

mtbr member
    The Anne Hjelle case back in 2004 had her riding at 15mph, so you're hosed!
    How to Survive a Mountain Lion Attack | RailRiders
    I remember that attack well. I rode that trail just weeks before. I also had an eerie experience once on a trail near Ojai, CA where I was climbing a set of switchbacks and I could just sense the presence of something above me -- each time I looked up it was as if something had just run through the bush 50 feet above me. A week later, a big sign posted at the trailhead confirmed my suspicion: "NOTICE: MOUNTAIN LION SIGHTING IN THIS AREA. BE ALERT."

I don't know if the cat was stalking me or just sort of hanging out, but needless to say, instead of riding that day, I went to Channel Islands Brewing instead.

Of course, every time you leave the house you take a risk, right? When my ticket is punched, I'd much rather go out on some sweet singletrack than get run over by a city bus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

And an 11-year old was shot by a "hunter" while waiting at his bus stop yesterday in Josephine County. Guy saw a deer in his yard so he did what any red blooded outdoorsman would do and grabbed his shotgun and started shooting. Apparently didn't notice the middle school bus stop in the background. Brilliant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    And an 11-year old was shot by a "hunter" while waiting at his bus stop yesterday in Josephine County. Guy saw a deer in his yard so he did what any red blooded outdoorsman would do and grabbed his shotgun and started shooting. Apparently didn't notice the middle school bus stop in the background. Brilliant.
    Clearly we need to encourage more people to carry guns to "protect" themselves against the ever present threat of a cougar attack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Eventually we all see critters on the trail...
    I chased a badger down trail 99 a few years ago. Didn't think that waddling bugger would ever get out of my way.
    I passed through a small herd (there were at least 6, probably more than double that, I wasn't about to stop and count because a couple of them were less than 15 ft off the trail) of elk on south fork too. Zipped around the corner, and went through them again. I figured I should keep moving, not going to win that battle...
    We came across a bobcat last weekend between Charton and Lemmish lakes. The Beer hunters 5 miles down the trail thought that was quite interesting. Why don't hunters in Oregon wear orange?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast